Reload this Page >

Travelling with our dog

Travelling with our dog

Old Apr 2nd 2018, 7:44 am
Just Joined

Simon Werkshagen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling with our dog

Hi,

I am sure that there are many threads on this subject but will start another if thats OK!

We will be travelling from the UK (ferry from Portsmouth to Santander) and am wondering if anybody has any tips for the ferry, travelling to Faro, hotels, vets, basically anything and everything.

Thanks to you all.
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling with our dog

Originally Posted by Simon Werkshagen
Hi,

I am sure that there are many threads on this subject but will start another if thats OK!

We will be travelling from the UK (ferry from Portsmouth to Santander) and am wondering if anybody has any tips for the ferry, travelling to Faro, hotels, vets, basically anything and everything.

Thanks to you all.
Best route from Santander I think is via Burgos to Salamanca and then to Sevilla, crossing the border at Ayamonte.
If you want to break the journey in Salamanca there is a pet-friendly Ibis which is well-priced and comfortable.
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, really appreciated.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Lelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant future

We use the Ibis in Valladolid as an overnight stop as it is closer to the motorway, however Salamanca is nicer if you're not in a hurry.

Are you using Pet friendly cabin or kennel on the ferry?
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 7:12 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Lelandy;12474868]We use the Ibis in Valladolid as an overnight stop as it is closer to the motorway, however Salamanca is nicer if you're not in a hurry.

Are you using Pet friendly cabin or kennel on the ferry?

We will be traveling next year but hope to reserve a cabin. Do you have any thoughts?
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Lelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant future

You'll need to book early to secure a pet friendly cabin. We've used both and it depends on your dog, our collie has a bit of separation anxiety so that kind of trapped us in the cabin.

The kennels are a bit utilitarian but give you more freedom.

Brittany ferries website is quite good for all the info you need.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 8:50 am
Just Joined

I think we will take a cabin as our dog is also a little nervous! As soon as Brittany Ferries open we will book. I have signed up to their news letter so hopefully will be able to book in plenty of time.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

It's either/or on the ferry dog accommodation - some ferries have only kennel space and others have only pet-friendly cabins (limited numbers). The ferry we travelled on, the kennels are on the top deck and the lift only goes to the deck below so the dogs have to go up an exterior staircase to reach the kennels. Not suitable if your dog is less mobile.

Another thumbs up for both Valladolid and Salamanca Ibis hotels. I think most Ibis, if not all, allow dogs for a small extra fee. Salamanca has a nice park right on its door for dog walking but the car parking available is under the hotel and very limited, also a tight space if you have a larger vehicle. Maybe worth booking a space ahead of time.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 10:31 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Did you know the first flights out of the uk carrying pets in the cabin have started? Apparently defra has wanted a pilot :-) scheme for years but airlines didnt sign up - air canada has... Thin end of the wedge?
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

I had no idea, will keep my eyes on the others.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

rickuk3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can reconned Brittany Ferries travelled both ways on the Baie de Seine in a dog friendly cabin, very easy to check in both ways, onboard a lift from car deck to cabin, cabin comfortable and a great gift pack for your dog with a toy, some treats, poo bags and collapsable feeding/water bowl, the exercise area is adequate with supply of poo bags, the return trip in December was a little rough, the lad was fine with the ship rolling but when it started pitching and rolling he ended up on my bed between me and the wall and slept like a log for the rest of the night, the crew are all very pet friendly. I took 10 hours to drive from Santander to near Faro including comfort stops for both of us.
Richard
Old Apr 4th 2018, 7:38 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the information.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed at the Novotel in Valladolid with our large Golden Retrieve. She was treated like a princess . Given a goody bag on arrival. Nice hotel room with space for dog to sleep. Only (understandable) downside was that she wasn't allowed in the restaurant. Feeding her in the room however was no problem. She loved going up and down in the lift.Hotel next to a park so very easy for her walks and toilet.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Thank you
Old Apr 10th 2018, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

ant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I did the journey last summer with my cocker-poo. Portsmouth to Bilbao on the "economie" ferry - I can't remember if that was sue to price/timing/or availability of dog cabins (I think the latter but could be wrong). My wife flew separately, and to be honest I'm glad she did - the car journey is great but the ferry is extremely monotonous. I felt like Steve McQueen in The Great Escape, bouncing my ball against the door for my dog to catch for endless hours. It's all ok, but pretty basic, and the "dog walking area" is really quite small - more a dog relieving themselves area (all very clean though). It Gets a bit choppy, and at times the area is placed out of bounds.
On the plus side - driving through Spain was beautiful - I took a detour along the coast from Bilbao to Santander, mainly to avoid the Tolls (as I was in the car on the wrong side to reach the toll booths - and they were the only tolls on the journey). I'm really glad I did, as its a stunning coastal road. I made a couple of pit-stops on the way down to give my dog a run, and then stayed overnight at Salamanca - what a beautiful, beautiful city - will spend a few days there when I have more time!! I stayed at the relatively cheap "Emperatriz III" - its a little tired but huge rooms and very dog friendly. About 15 minutes walk to the town.
Anyway, after a good nights sleep and a McDonalds breakfast from over the road, it was back on with the trip, down to Seville and across to Portugal. Very easy trip, lovely scenery, especially the mountains.
On the return trip, I think I had the morning ferry at about 10am, so did a non-stop drive, leaving just after midnight with a couple of 1 hour breaks along the way - worked out really well as me and the dog crashed out for the long ferry ride home!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.