Travel to UK

Old Aug 22nd 2021, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel to UK

I'm a little confused, again!!.

A few people are saying they are having the antigen test to enter UK. Is that sufficient as everything I read suggests a PCR to enter UK.

Secondly could I ask do you have to show a negative test to board the plane / boat or is it just for entry to the country you are going to, I e. If the country you are visiting accepts double jabbed certificate is that good enough to board the plane / boat?

Thirdly, last week the Matt Hancock replacement, can't remember his name, stated that NHS Covid Travel Tests would now be capped at £68, but nobody knows how to get an NHS Covid Travel Test.

The NHS site just directs you to private companies, my local GP surgery had no idea either.

Old Aug 22nd 2021, 10:24 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Everythng I have read states that you cannot in any circumstances get an NHS test for anything connected with travel .

Don't expect Govt. ministers to know the law ( or anything else ).
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
Everythng I have read states that you cannot in any circumstances get an NHS test for anything connected with travel .

Don't expect Govt. ministers to know the law ( or anything else ).
Good point riv but here is just one of many newspaper reports where Savid calls it an NHS Covid Travel Test.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cit...vel-to-68/amp/
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 7:05 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Oh this relates to a place in the fol~de~rol that I haven't reached yet - returning to the UK from places abroad.

The rules keep changing so frequently that I kind of decided to not get into the detail of how you return to Uk until nearer the time I am likely to do it ( October ).

But I was not aware that the NHS was providing these day 2 , day whatever Tests ( and then charging ? Does the NHS even have a till mechanism for charging ? ) But perhaps they are.

Am still hoping that ( as was mooted ) they will stop requiring testing for anyone returning who is ( certified ) double jabbed.

Old Aug 23rd 2021, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
I understand what you mean, but I'd feel uncomforable leaving the test until arrival at the airport - seems a hostage to fortune.

I'm also constrained when it comes to UK testing as I'll be in Suffolk.... so it looks like postal only

I'll revisit options once I book my flight and have details..... currenttly I'm still waiting for someone to come and look at my borehole connection as it's doing a fair impression of a garden fountain and tripping the electrics every so often

I've only been waiting since Tuesday for someone to come the whole 10km and see what needs to be done..... it IS Portugal AND August
Seems like your idea to wait a while may be worth while as lots of media outlets running the story this morning that the UK gov is about to axe over 50 of the approved providers!
What that will do to demand and cost will remain to be seen!
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

NataHH is an unknown quantity at this point

The government reviews travel requirements every 3 weeks the next announcement will be this Wednesday or Thursday. At present if you are fully vaccinated with certificate and you are coming from an amber list country like Portugal you need an antigen also called lateral flow test when checking in at the airport.. These requirements should also be available on the airline's website.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...ing-to-england

If you check out the above government website link it does however recommend a PCR test if you are travelling from Spain.

You also have to organise a pre booked Day 2 PCR test which has to be carried out within two days of arrival in the UK.

A list of recommended test providers can be found on the government website a lot of them are dodgy - let's hope it will be sanitised see BBC report.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58300897

Old Aug 23rd 2021, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
I'm a little confused, again!!.

A few people are saying they are having the antigen test to enter UK. Is that sufficient as everything I read suggests a PCR to enter UK.

Secondly could I ask do you have to show a negative test to board the plane / boat or is it just for entry to the country you are going to, I e. If the country you are visiting accepts double jabbed certificate is that good enough to board the plane / boat?

Thirdly, last week the Matt Hancock replacement, can't remember his name, stated that NHS Covid Travel Tests would now be capped at £68, but nobody knows how to get an NHS Covid Travel Test.

The NHS site just directs you to private companies, my local GP surgery had no idea either.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...ing-to-england

Type of test

The test must meet performance standards of ≥97% specificity, ≥80% sensitivity at viral loads above 100,000 copies/ml.

This could include tests such as:
  • a PCR test
  • a LAMP test
  • an antigen test, such as an LFD (lateral flow device) test
You must check with your test provider that the test meets the standards. You may not be able to travel if it does not.

Pre-arrival Approved test types have been that way for quite a while BUT it's the after arrival tests that have to be PCR.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

"Secondly could I ask do you have to show a negative test to board the plane / boat or is it just for entry to the country you are going to".

We had to show our neg test at passport control to board the boat at Santander. Printed version in Portuguese was accepted there,but needed the English version on arrival in UK on our phone. On hindsight , try and have printed versions as finding our locator form on the phone was a hassle .Told us to park up and find it(no-one was behind us) kept our passports and I ended up having my passport stamped as she deceided she wanted to keep our passports while we looked.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toots sweet
"Secondly could I ask do you have to show a negative test to board the plane / boat or is it just for entry to the country you are going to".

We had to show our neg test at passport control to board the boat at Santander. Printed version in Portuguese was accepted there,but needed the English version on arrival in UK on our phone. On hindsight , try and have printed versions as finding our locator form on the phone was a hassle .Told us to park up and find it(no-one was behind us) kept our passports and I ended up having my passport stamped as she deceided she wanted to keep our passports while we looked.
We have had instances in our travels over the last couple of months where we had received a pre-alert that BA were insisting on paper version of the PLF in order to allow check-in/boarding though there was some flexibility there.

We are also aware that it is the AIRLINES and their passenger service agents which have in the main been given responsibility for checking paperwork at check-in/boarding so there is typically minimal checking at the point of arrival, other than at LHR, so it seems. Next to NO checking arriving in mainland Portugal and Madeira. Minimal checking at LGW, if one didn't get thru the gate.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Aug 23rd 2021 at 8:34 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks to all for valuable info.

We are going to chance the boat in October, and if we have to pay for tests so be it.

One of my drinking buddies, 10 years my junior dropped dead the other day, loads of money in the bank, three houses, no good to him now, may as well just do a Viv Nicholson while you are here!!
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 12:52 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

"" One of my drinking buddies, 10 years my junior dropped dead the other day, loads of money in the bank, three houses, no good to him now, may as well just do a Viv Nicholson while you are here!! ""

Now you know one of my motivations for contemplating buying a new car for the first time in my life [ ok, only a Dacia - but we have to start undoing the habits of a lifetime somewhere......]
Old Aug 24th 2021, 10:48 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

As a postscript, MoneySavingExpert has just published a review of testing, which gives some information on the tests available - and the better vendors.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tr...#arrivalseight

If, like me, you don't live in a city with a test lab and there are no Randox drop-boxes nearby, there is one stand-out - Testing For All is a non-profit, scores 4.3 on Trustpilot and costs £48 for Day 2, or £89 for Day2 & 8

https://www.testingforall.org/product/day-2-day-8/

Hope this helps....
Old Aug 25th 2021, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
As a postscript, MoneySavingExpert has just published a review of testing, which gives some information on the tests available - and the better vendors.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tr...#arrivalseight

If, like me, you don't live in a city with a test lab and there are no Randox drop-boxes nearby, there is one stand-out - Testing For All is a non-profit, scores 4.3 on Trustpilot and costs £48 for Day 2, or £89 for Day2 & 8

https://www.testingforall.org/product/day-2-day-8/

Hope this helps....
Just stick FLYRYANAIR
In the discount code box and they knock a fiver off, no check is done 👍
Old Aug 25th 2021, 7:58 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg
Just stick FLYRYANAIR
In the discount code box and they knock a fiver off, no check is done 👍
Every little helps!! 😉
Old Aug 26th 2021, 7:48 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
We have had instances in our travels over the last couple of months where we had received a pre-alert that BA were insisting on paper version of the PLF in order to allow check-in/boarding though there was some flexibility there.

We are also aware that it is the AIRLINES and their passenger service agents which have in the main been given responsibility for checking paperwork at check-in/boarding so there is typically minimal checking at the point of arrival, other than at LHR, so it seems. Next to NO checking arriving in mainland Portugal and Madeira. Minimal checking at LGW, if one didn't get thru the gate.
Where are you Pete? I see St Lucia going red from UK standpoint.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.