Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Transferring money to Portuguese bank account

Transferring money to Portuguese bank account

Old Apr 13th 2018, 1:51 pm
Living the Dream

westernliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transferring money to Portuguese bank account

I need to transfer money on a regular basis to my personal bank account in Portugal from the UK. Is there a way of doing this online or has it got to be by international transfer. What are the best ways of getting a good rate?

Last edited by westernliving; Apr 13th 2018 at 1:59 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring money to Portuguese bank account

Originally Posted by westernliving
I need to transfer money on a regular basis to my personal bank account in Portugal from the UK. Is there a way of doing this online or has it got to be by international transfer. What are the best ways of getting a good rate?
Use a foreign exchange company like Premier FX or GCEN for a good exchange rate. I deal with the business of transferring my GBP to Euros online everytime having ascertained the rate of exchange by email. I get a better exchange rate than my UK bank can offer and the money is transferred with minimum delay.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 2:17 pm
Living the Dream

westernliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
Use a foreign exchange company like Premier FX or GCEN for a good exchange rate. I deal with the business of transferring my GBP to Euros online everytime having ascertained the rate of exchange by email. I get a better exchange rate than my UK bank can offer and the money is transferred with minimum delay.
Thanks. sounds interesting, can you give me a little more information on how the mechanics of it work?
Old Apr 13th 2018, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

You need to register firstly with your chosen company. They usually require a copy of your passport, scanned into an email, plus your contact details. You are then allocated a client number and you give them the details of your Portuguese bank account. They will furnish you with their client bank account details and, when you are ready to transfer, you do an online transfer from your UK bank to the client bank account. When this transfer is complete, the company transfers Euros to your Portuguese bank account. It takes less than a day for me to get the Euros into my account but this will depend on the company.

I have been doing this for about 10 years and, as I said, I ask for their current rate of exchange first by email to be sure that I am happy that it's a good time to exchange. I monitor the rate of exchange daily and get advice from Premier FX on the trending GBP/EUR exchange rate. Your chosen FX company will advise you on procedures and other possibilities. You can assess these FX companies online to a certain extent but you should also seek advice from others when selecting the company. Everyone has their favourites. Mine is Premier FX.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

I have been using a company called Revolut it's Ipad based nank rate is that is the rate you get. Whenever i transfer money it's on my Revolut card straight away no waiting Just Google Revolut and get the market rate as it is.

This afternoon i transfered money and got 1.1583€

Peter
Old Apr 13th 2018, 3:33 pm
Living the Dream

Both ideas look very interesting and more importantly look workable. I'll look at both of them, thanks for spending a little time explaining
Old Apr 13th 2018, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

I too have heard good things about revolut
Old Apr 13th 2018, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Both ideas look very interesting and more importantly look workable. I'll look at both of them, thanks for spending a little time explaining
Similar service from Transferwise. Smaller amounts take a few hours. Small fee if using a UK Debit Card on the site but excellent exchange rate
Old Apr 13th 2018, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

This gives a list of transfer companies.
https://moneytransfercomparison.com/

When making comparisons take account of the fees and the exchange rate being used.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've stopped using Revolut because there are too many limitations, e.g. there is a limit of £200 free withdrawal per month from ATMs; thereafter, they impose a 2% charge. The Starling Bank card is much better and you use an app available on Android and Apple mobile phones. Revolut is limited to Apple.

Last edited by BillBullock; Apr 13th 2018 at 4:49 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Doesn’t your Portuguese bank allow you to transfer to their U.K. holding account and then they will transfer to your PT account in euros? NovoBanco does this for free and at interbank rates.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonny22
... NovoBanco does this for free and at interbank rates.
Do you know the rate before you make the transfer or find out afterwards?
Old Apr 13th 2018, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

DiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond repute

TransferWise is a good one for these type of transactions - only €0.60 for transfer fee and takes a few hours. You can also have bank accounts in different currencies with them.
There's a small fee for currency exchange.

For ATM withdrawals MetroBank UK gives you UK debit card with no any fees (no exchange fees at all!) and has no limits like Revolut or Monzo.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

DiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
Revolut is limited to Apple.
Revolut (for quite a long period) has Android support as well...
Old Apr 14th 2018, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DiDAN
Revolut (for quite a long period) has Android support as well...
My mistake but the other limitation on free ATM withdrawals makes it useless to me, even for holiday travel. Likewise with Monzo which I tried last year. That is why I now use Starling Bank for free ATM withdrawals and overseas payments alongside Premier FX for large monthly transfers to my Portuguese bank account. There are no fees with Premier FX, just a competitive exchange rate and fast service.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.