Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Tiling walls in the Algarve

Tiling walls in the Algarve

Old Mar 31st 2018, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

robbie20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tiling walls in the Algarve

Any chance any of you may know approximately how much a tiler would charge to tile an outside wall per sq mtr.

Thanks for any help with this.
Old Mar 31st 2018, 7:44 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tiling walls in the Algarve

Thats a dumb question. It depends upon whether the substrate is good and on the tile size. Ask them to say how much given you wish to use these x tiles and given the current walls condition.

Its also not good to tile a wall unless you know the DPC is in good nick, or you will be redoing it soon,
Old Mar 31st 2018, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for your extremely rude reply
Old Mar 31st 2018, 9:34 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robbie20
Thank you for your extremely rude reply
Youre welcome, in future please be clear, if you dont want honest answers, please do say so, you apparently only want nice answers not truthful ones.

The only constant is a cost per hours labour, problem is you cant know currently what work is needed... Its also sad but true, actual tiling is pretty easy, its just you cant do it properly unless the terra is firma.

Alternatively ‘you are a clever fellow, it will cost you x euros per square metre, but there may be further costs if we discover issues while we work, and our guarantee only extends till we leave the vicinity of your property.’
Old Mar 31st 2018, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

you're. you seem to have forgotten the apostrophe
Old Mar 31st 2018, 10:02 pm

you're. you seem to have forgotten the apostrophe
Hang on, let me get the microtone out, it’s better for splitting hairs.
Old Mar 31st 2018, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
... not good to tile a wall unless you know the DPC is in good nick ...
DPCs seem to be in short supply in the Algarve but that doesn't seem to discourage the Portuguese from tiling.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

bexxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Any chance any of you may know approximately how much a tiler would charge to tile an outside wall per sq mtr.

Thanks for any help with this.
Hi Robbie, I agree that was an extremely rude and totally unnecessary response. As a tiler in the UK your labour costs are indeed worked out per square metre, as different tiles take different amounts of time. Preparation of substrate would be worked out at a day rate and this would be added to the sq metrerage and the material costs. Cost of the tiles goes on and that's your price. It might be different in Portugal of course!

Also.... If "actual tiling" is easy I wonder why people are happy to pay so much for it!

Last edited by bexxx; Apr 5th 2019 at 12:35 pm. Reason: Needed to add something!
Old Apr 5th 2019, 12:40 pm

Im guessing the wall has been tiled since a year ago, but maybe the OP can let us know what actually transpired. NB ive since seen another alternative. People are getting very clever with concrete. Colouring it, polishing it, applying patterns from moulds. Ive now seen external walls that have been rendered with concrete that looks very believably like bricks or even marble blocks. Being made of pozzolana cement, its also impervious to water, but breathes.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

bexxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Im guessing the wall has been tiled since a year ago, but maybe the OP can let us know what actually transpired. NB ive since seen another alternative. People are getting very clever with concrete. Colouring it, polishing it, applying patterns from moulds. Ive now seen external walls that have been rendered with concrete that looks very believably like bricks or even marble blocks. Being made of pozzolana cement, its also impervious to water, but breathes.
That sounds lovely! Obviously not as good as tiles though (says the tiler)!
Old Apr 5th 2019, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

What I did for now is just get a good painter, (hard to come by ) and have the wall that was a problem re-rendered and treated and painted again.

I will at some point have it tiled though so it looks more interesting and hopefully last longer than the painting, which is why I suppose lots of the Portuguese have their walls tiled.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

What I did for now is just get a good painter, (hard to come by ) and have the wall that was a problem re-rendered and treated and painted again.

I will at some point have it tiled though so it looks more interesting and hopefully last longer than the painting, which is why I suppose lots of the Portuguese have their walls tiled.
I don't think that "lots of Portuguese have their walls tiled" on the outside. Very few houses are like that in the Algarve compared with the other options. I also suspect that these houses have been tiled on the outside to hide a multitude of sins, like poor rendering and damp.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 2:27 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Many older properties in the Algarve certainly have tiled external walls, whole or in part a sign of prosperity.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Reply to EMR, Thank you for your comments. I know this is certainly true of the old Portuguese houses still owned by many Portuguese. The small street where my house is, most of the properties do in fact have tiled external walls.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 2:49 pm

In the uk, apart from cladding office buildings in stone, its just not done any more. The victorian pubs covered in beautiful tiles are of course still with us, and famous places like the natural history museum building and of course some underground stations have them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.