Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

For those of you with Pools

For those of you with Pools

Old Jul 12th 2018, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute
Default For those of you with Pools

I don't know about you but I dislike finding poor creatures drowned in the pool. Clearly they want to get to the water but then can't get out. I had removed multiple lizards, mice, shrews, frogs and a few birds. I have since installed a 'Frog Log' and since then (maybe coincidence) but the pool has been clear of corpses. I have not seen any frogs or lizards on it but I have noticed the birds land on it and drink water from the pool. It's not cheap but it does work and I'm sure those with time and DIY inclinations could easily make up something similar for their pools if they have the same problem. It's basically a little floating platform with a skirt sitting in the water plus a strip/bridge joining onto a weighted bag. The weighted bag sits on the tiles around the pool with the floating bit in the pool.

It has been in the water for a good many weeks and seems to be very effective.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 11:56 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those of you with Pools

I just had steps added, easier if they can just walk out. Here we have hulking great iguanas that like to cool off occasionally. I think the frogs are too smart, actually given the huge amounts of wildlife - nithing seems to get drowned, i always thought humming birds didnt drink - but kingfisher/swift like they will scoop up water from it.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those of you with Pools

We had a quite a few frogs but I think that was probably out of desperation. Nearest water source here for them is not that close.