Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Portugal from UK

Thinking of moving to Portugal from UK

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

hip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nicehip999 is just really nice
Smile Thinking of moving to Portugal from UK

Hi,
I am a 60 year old retired British male citizen who is looking to get away from the cold, dull and dreary UK winters.
I recently separated from my wife and all our friends supported her and cut me off, so a friendly ex-pat community would be a benefit for my social life!
I want to stay in Europe and get good value for money so think that Portugal (or possibly Spain) would be ideal.
I have read that Portuguese is almost impossible to learn (and my language skills are very poor) but that English is widely used on the Algarve (I am thinking of living somewhere in the Faro region).
My partner is Filipino with a Visa for the UK. We may marry soon.
My questions:
1. Is it true that retirees pay no tax for the first 10 years in Portugal? If so, what age is a retiree in Portugal?
2. Would my partner have problems getting a Visa? Would we have to keep renewing it? Would she still need a Visa if we married (on one post someone said he had an Argentinian spouse and had constant Visa problems)?
3. Where is a good place to live where there are lots of British ex-pats and very good healthcare? (And sun! Someone wrote on one post that they had lived in Troia and spent that year in mist).
4. I would really like to live on the coast .... but not in a big tourist area ... is it too much to expect sun/healthcare/coastal house and yet not too many tourists?
5. Ideally I would like to rent (at least initially) but long-term rental seems a problem in tourist areas; any thoughts on this.
Thank you for all the anticipated help and suggestions.
Steve
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Titleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Portugal from UK

welcome , my advice would be to visit first , and do your research.
also you may consider joining AFPOP , they will be able to answer your questions .
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

TELL is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no tax holiday as you refer to for retired expats, if tax resident in Portugal you have to declare income and pay any tax due.

The same if you retain your UK tax residency.

You will need to ascertain your partners status with the Portuguese embassy.

As previously said you should visit a couple of times and visit various parts of the Algarve and Portugal.
Certainly the Algarve has the biggest ( but very diverse , ex pat UK population ).
Healthcare is OK in emergencies but if concerned you should take out private health insurance.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Long term rental is not a problem in the Algarve but there are fewer options during the summer season or just before it (from Easter). Best time to have biggest choice being October to December. Can PM a company contact that we used very successfully to you or to anyone else looking.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Location: Chesterfield - Derbyshire & Cabanas as often as possible!
Golfister is an unknown quantity at this point

From personal experience last year, I would say that healthcare is definitely not OK in emergencies anywhere in the Faro catchment area (take a trip to the A&E department and have a look) and I wouldn't consider a permanent move there unless I could afford private healthcare (the private hospital in Faro is excellent).
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 9:50 am
Banned

Benny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hip999
My questions:
2. Would my partner have problems getting a Visa? Would we have to keep renewing it? Would she still need a Visa if we married Steve
Until you are married and your Filipino wife has obtained British citizenship ( normally five years after marriage) she will have to obtain a visa from the Portuguese authorities and renew it as and when required by them. Does she have a visitors visa or an indefinate stay visa for the UK?
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 10:20 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Golfister
From personal experience last year, I would say that healthcare is definitely not OK in emergencies anywhere in the Faro catchment area (take a trip to the A&E department and have a look) and I wouldn't consider a permanent move there unless I could afford private healthcare (the private hospital in Faro is excellent).
I agree totally.I just can't face my local doctor anymore,luckily I have only had to go twice in 7 years.Our private healthcare is pretty reasonable,especially compared to what I was paying in the Uk,and the private hospital local to us is fantastic.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

bigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nice

Definitely come and rent for a year - if you can survive the winter months I am sure you will love the remainder of year. Do not buirn your UK bridges though.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 7:26 am
I.T Expert - Algarve

scott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the rough
Post Re: Thinking of moving to Portugal from UK

Originally Posted by Golfister
This is so true! The current Faro public hospital A&E is like nothing you have ever seen before! Get yourself some private medical insurance and you can use the fantastic Faro (Gambelas) Private Hospital, which I have personal experience of and can vouch for it's excellence.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

I am doing research on the tax position of those transferring their pension assets to portugal.
First thoughts ( from a Portuguese lawyer ) are that these apply to " investments " in certain specified government approved schemes.
Any income accrueing being tax free until 2020 ( when the law is next approved ).
The position of individuals is far from clear ind is being looked into.
Certainly I would do nothing until the legal aspects are clear in black and white.
If anything can be that clear in Portugal.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

our lawyer is checking with the TAX office to ascertain what are the qualifying conditions for transfer of pension funds.

One other thing to consider is that if you do decide on a permanent move from the UK you could lose your entitlement to FREE NHS treatment if you decide to return for such.

Past payment of tax or NI does not automatically entitle you to cover if your home is no longer in the UK.

It seems to be a regulation to stop health tourism.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

bigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nice

When any immigrant, legal or otherwise, in the UK can obtain social security assistance and free medical health care I do not think any UK citizen would be denied health care on his or her return to the UK
I would recommend that all UK citizens in Portugal continue to pay their NI contributions until the due date in order to be eligible for pension rights and other benefits that you may require when retired. Do you want to live on the current Portuguese social welfare system.
Keep one foot in the UK door and do not burn any bridges to your homeland !
Old Feb 6th 2011, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

The NHS web site does say that " emergency " healthcare is provided but little else.

The payment of NI or tax does not qualify you if your permanent residence is no longer the UK.

The key phrase is " ordinarly domiciled " which is a simple qualification.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Hog is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bigglesafloat
I do not think any UK citizen would be denied health care on his or her return to the UK
I don't think that they would be denied it either. However, looking at the new rules that apply, if you haven't been resident in the UK for three years then you are not supposed to be entitled to it.
It is residency that qualifies you for NHS medical care not NI contributions.
It is a dreadful piece of legislation that has been badly thought out.
I don't understand why I, as a UK taxpayer AND having paid over 30 years of NI contributions, would not be entitled to NHS healthcare. It's ridiculous.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hip999
Hi,
I am a 60 year old retired British male citizen who is looking to get away from the cold, dull and dreary UK winters.
I recently separated from my wife and all our friends supported her and cut me off, so a friendly ex-pat community would be a benefit for my social life!
I want to stay in Europe and get good value for money so think that Portugal (or possibly Spain) would be ideal.
I have read that Portuguese is almost impossible to learn (and my language skills are very poor) but that English is widely used on the Algarve (I am thinking of living somewhere in the Faro region).
My questions:
1. Is it true that retirees pay no tax for the first 10 years in Portugal? If so, what age is a retiree in Portugal?
2. Would my partner have problems getting a Visa? Would we have to keep renewing it? Would she still need a Visa if we married (on one post someone said he had an Argentinian spouse and had constant Visa problems)?
3. Where is a good place to live where there are lots of British ex-pats and very good healthcare? (And sun! Someone wrote on one post that they had lived in Troia and spent that year in mist).
4. I would really like to live on the coast .... but not in a big tourist area ... is it too much to expect sun/healthcare/coastal house and yet not too many tourists?
5. Ideally I would like to rent (at least initially) but long-term rental seems a problem in tourist areas; any thoughts on this.
Thank you for all the anticipated help and suggestions.
Steve
Further to titleist

You would need to narrow the field down a bit and choose from the eastern and western extremities of the Algarve in order to get away from the touristy areas. These extremities would be around Tavira, which is still close to the airport in Faro and West of Burgau towards Sagres.

Can't help regarding the residency and tax... need that info myself for future possible plans. However, I believe that (tax) plan is in its infancy and the rules are not concrete, tried and tested.

You might want to be aware that one of the most attractive retirement areas on the planet is the coastal town of Cascais near Lisbon which has a thriving expat community though not necessarily British ....there are many Americans and Canadians, excellent recreational facilities, cafes and restaurants and easy access to Lisbon.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Feb 6th 2011 at 2:14 pm. Reason: addition

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.