Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Are there any Brits on here that work as Estate Agents in Portugal?

Are there any Brits on here that work as Estate Agents in Portugal?

Old May 14th 2018, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of
Default Are there any Brits on here that work as Estate Agents in Portugal?

Looking for advice as to what is required these days to be a Mediador Imobiliaria, I have looked on the IMPIC website but it is not clear which forms you need to fill in and whether there is still an exam to sit to get a license?

I can't really ask my local connections as no one around here likes competition so may give me duff info!

Many thanks in advance
Old May 14th 2018, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there any Brits on here that work as Estate Agents in Portugal?

If you click on the link on the bottom of the IMPIC page
Then click on the link "Obter" and the link below it shows exactly what you need and where to go with the paperwork.
O que é necessário para obter uma licença de mediação imobiliária? - Acesso à atividade da Mediação Imobiliária - IMPIC - Instituto dos Mercados Públicos, do Imobiliário e da Construção

Interesting you can do the forms in Portuguese or English.
Old May 14th 2018, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
If you click on the link on the bottom of the IMPIC page
Then click on the link "Obter" and the link below it shows exactly what you need and where to go with the paperwork.
O que é necessário para obter uma licença de mediação imobiliária? - Acesso à atividade da Mediação Imobiliária - IMPIC - Instituto dos Mercados Públicos, do Imobiliário e da Construção

Interesting you can do the forms in Portuguese or English.
Would you know whether the criminal record has to be from both the UK and Portugal? I have tried seeing how to get proof here but it appears you have to have a Cartao Cidadao to request it online. Also the legal representative bit, would that just be my preferred solicitor?

Many thanks
Old May 15th 2018, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
Would you know whether the criminal record has to be from both the UK and Portugal? I have tried seeing how to get proof here but it appears you have to have a Cartao Cidadao to request it online. Also the legal representative bit, would that just be my preferred solicitor?

Many thanks
The solicitar needs to have an office in Portugal ( see ** note at bottom opf Form A1. I assume if you live in Portugal you will need a Portuguese Criminal record but do not know.
Old May 15th 2018, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
The solicitar needs to have an office in Portugal ( see ** note at bottom opf Form A1. I assume if you live in Portugal you will need a Portuguese Criminal record but do not know.
Is it mandatory to have a criminal record to be an estate agent?
Old May 16th 2018, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Not mandatory but you could say it would be helpful as they're mostly a bunch of lying bastards
sorry to any genuine ea's here
Old May 16th 2018, 8:38 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg
Not mandatory but you could say it would be helpful as they're mostly a bunch of lying bastards
Few employed asagents are on salaries just making a share of the sales commission.
Therefore there will always be the risk that they will build the Lilly, cut corners etc to get a sale..
Old May 16th 2018, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Take REAL exception to those remarks dingg Unless you can give genuine reasons for maligning this particular profession? My YD is an Estate Agent here in the Algarve ,and right now is being run ragged by many members of the public,of all nationalities , who basically want the moon and stars for very little cash,and they want it yesterday. OR they want to sell their un -renovated ,damp, 1970's villa for the prices they see in other Agents windows. I agree that a lot of this business is run on greed.,but a great deal of it is with the clients,and not the agents. At the end of the day,everyone has a choice.They can buy and sell themselves if they feel its so darn easy.
Old May 16th 2018, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Few employed asagents are on salaries just making a share of the sales commission.
Originally Posted by EMR
Therefore there will always be the risk that they will build the Lilly, cut corners etc to get a sale..

I'd love to see some evidence of this!! Buyers are not stupid. ( at least they shouldn't be) We have never had this happen to us ,over many yrs of looking at and buying or selling our different homes. A lot of this 'tosh' is 'heresay.' .People looking at a business that appears to be making a lot of money ,the old green eyed monster comes out the woodwork..

Last edited by Rosemary; May 17th 2018 at 8:37 am. Reason: CORRECTED QUOTE
Old May 16th 2018, 9:27 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Is 'build the Lilly' Portuguese for 'gild the lily'?
Old May 16th 2018, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear
I did say sorry , maybe you are the exception that breaks the rule?

Good luck anyway and try not to take offence at every opportunity , life's much less stressful that way
Old May 17th 2018, 7:10 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB

I'd love to see some evidence of this!! Buyers are not stupid. ( at least they shouldn't be) We have never had this happen to us ,over many yrs of looking at and buying or selling our different homes. A lot of this 'tosh' is 'heresay.' .People looking at a business that appears to be making a lot of money ,the old green eyed monster comes out the woodwork..

Listing properties with illegal extensions, not checking that properties have rental licenses , garages turned into bedrooms, suggesting underdeclaring the value so as to avoid tax on the sales and put cash in the hands of the seller.
Taking cash as part commission to avoid vat and many more examples I could give.

Last edited by Rosemary; May 17th 2018 at 8:40 am. Reason: CORRECTED QUOTE
Old May 17th 2018, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR

Listing properties with illegal extensions, not checking that properties have rental licenses , garages turned into bedrooms, suggesting underdeclaring the value so as to avoid tax on the sales and put cash in the hands of the seller.
Taking cash as part commission to avoid vat and many more examples I could give.

And you know this because ?You have specific experience/ evidence of this ...other than heresay....

You have to understand that dealing with property in Portugal has historically , been a whole different ball game than that of the UK.. (or many other EU countries ) They were not licensed as we know it. until recently. It was very common for owners to add Gargaes,extensions, swimming pools etc without asking permission from the Camara. That has all changed since we arrived 6yrs ago. We had to register our swimming pool and cookhouse We don't believe that the previous (English ) owners believed they had done anything wrong. Neither did the estate agents. . The Surveyor told us when we built my Art House it would be a 'good idea' to check with the Camara as the government were now busy 'mapping the country' for changes in council tax.

I really get ticked off with blanket stetments

Last edited by GeniB; May 17th 2018 at 8:07 pm.
Old May 17th 2018, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh dear
I did say sorry , maybe you are the exception that breaks the rule?

Good luck anyway and try not to take offence at every opportunity , life's much less stressful that way

Why say something like 'Lying bastards' and then pretend to be 'sorry ' .?... Please don't be condescending
Old May 17th 2018, 8:23 pm
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by GeniB
And you know this because ?You have specific experience/ evidence of this ...other than heresay....

You have to understand that dealing with property in Portugal has historically , been a whole different ball game than that of the UK.. (or many other EU countries ) They were not licensed as we know it. until recently. It was very common for owners to add Gargaes,extensions, swimming pools etc without asking permission from the Camara. That has all changed since we arrived 6yrs ago. We had to register our swimming pool and cookhouse We don't believe that the previous (English ) owners believed they had done anything wrong. Neither did the estate agents. . The Surveyor told us when we built my Art House it would be a 'good idea' to check with the Camara as the government were now busy 'mapping the country' for changes in council tax.

I really get ticked off with blanket stetments

Not heresy, far from it, I could take you to loads of properties which have been modified after the original habitation license was granted.
I was talking to a couple on Tuesday who will face a tax bill on their sale as their original purchase was underdeclared to save on purchase tax and profit for the original developer.
This practice was rife and only now are sellers realising that they were conned.
Agents snapping up properties and then flipping them is another current trend.
Agents telling clients that the exclusivity agreement they signed with another agent is worthless until the original asks for his share of the commission from the seller..
Please do not pretend that all is sweetness and light.
There are agents I would have no problems recommending and others I would not touch with a barge pole.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.