Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Testing Covid in UK

Testing Covid in UK

Old May 5th 2020, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Testing Covid in UK

I know this is irrelevant to you guys in Portugal, but this is the sort of useless organisation going on in the UK..
Being over 70 I was glad to hear that over 65s could now get a test if they had symptoms of Covid.
So over a couple of days I went to the Gov web site to apply....https://www.gov.uk/apply-coronavirus-test

Here it confirms that over 65s can apply if they have symptoms.
So I click Start Here, and am taken to a page that says No test available please try tomorrow..
https://self-referral.test-for-coron...v.uk/test-type

I tried this at various times over the weekend with the same result.

SO finally assumed that slots for the next day start at midnight, so last night hit the start now button at 3 seconds past midnight........same result, no slots available..
But this time I noticed a `back` button, so clicked that and was taken to a completely new webpage......but now it ask if you are eligible, with no mention of being over 65....
only essential workers !!
So I decided to click that I am eligible, but end up at same page..no slots available.....and all this by 1 minute after mignight.yet more propaganda issued by the Uk gov.
Old May 8th 2020, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Testing Covid in UK

Originally Posted by wellinever
I know this is irrelevant to you guys in Portugal, but this is the sort of useless organisation going on in the UK..
Being over 70 I was glad to hear that over 65s could now get a test if they had symptoms of Covid.
So over a couple of days I went to the Gov web site to apply....https://www.gov.uk/apply-coronavirus-test

Here it confirms that over 65s can apply if they have symptoms.
So I click Start Here, and am taken to a page that says No test available please try tomorrow..
https://self-referral.test-for-coron...v.uk/test-type

I tried this at various times over the weekend with the same result.

SO finally assumed that slots for the next day start at midnight, so last night hit the start now button at 3 seconds past midnight........same result, no slots available..
But this time I noticed a `back` button, so clicked that and was taken to a completely new webpage......but now it ask if you are eligible, with no mention of being over 65....
only essential workers !!
So I decided to click that I am eligible, but end up at same page..no slots available.....and all this by 1 minute after mignight.yet more propaganda issued by the Uk gov.
We have three test centre around here but each are open on a different day so you need to find which day the test centre is open before attempting to book. Madness.
Old May 10th 2020, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Testing Covid in UK

Update on this testing mularkey.......having tried to book on the site I mentioned (proper.gv.uk) on numerous occasions with out any success at all. I decided to google over65 testing in the UK again......this time I went to the ageconcern website, and followed their link..result..totally different site also .gov.uk !!!
This was very different, I followed the link at 11.30am, filled in very easy application (didnt even want NHS number) just name, age and car number !!
A code was emailed to me after 5 mins, saying that I had been accepted, taking me to another website filled in the code I had received, it also asked for Post Code, filled that in and was taken to another page where it showed testing stations closest to me......I chose one that is 18miles away, and there had the option of a test from 12noon !!!!! all the way through to 7pm, simply loads of slots available....SO I booked in for 3pm, drove over there, place virtually empty apart from officials standing around waiting....booked in from car windows closed drove to next barrier, and here was told it was SELF testing !!! Given swab and instructions and told to drive on and do the test on myself, then give tube in at final barrier before exiting. Crazy, who the hell do I know how to take a swab, it is not as easy as it seems.....you have to push the swab right to the back of the throat, then same swab goes up both nostrils until you feel resistance !!! I had heard that self testing was pretty uneliable, not surprised after getting nose bleed and on point of gagging.....not good. Different of done by someone who knows what they are doing.....result received after 36 hours.negative............