Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Telephone and broadband

Telephone and broadband

Old May 2nd 2007, 8:14 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telephone and broadband

Also as an alternative to Skype, there is www.sightspeed.com
Its arguably an easier screen / setup than skype and I sometimes, for some strange reason, get a better picture with it than skype
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:14 am
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by semecz
when you get the broadband take a look at Skype. I am using it down here for all my phonecalls through my laptop - to other Skype users its free but to UK landlines its about £0.01 a minute. I've bought a SkypeIn number which means that people in UK phone a UK number at local rate so its great for my publishing business as I have to talk to a lot of bookstores etc. I'm using SAPO for the bband which as the others have mentioned is not cheap but very reliable. We're not down here full time yet so it travels around with me in UK and rest of Europe. Has voicemail on it too....
cheers
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:22 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

You can get a free UK number for them to use here on BE homepage ;-) bottom right of page.

Old May 2nd 2007, 12:37 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
You can get a free UK number for them to use here on BE homepage ;-) bottom right of page.
I got one of those and I keep forgetting to give the number to people
Old May 2nd 2007, 3:42 pm
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

that looks great , as soon as i organise a phone set up in pt will make use of that, cheers, seems that the consensus would be to use sapo.pt for phone/ internet as they seem to have most consistent service, is that correct.

Last edited by gazz; May 2nd 2007 at 3:44 pm.
Old May 2nd 2007, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Green_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud of

That seems to confirm it for me too. I was erring towards sapo.pt. What's the best way to place and order for an install. They seem to have an offer on at the moment?
Cheers
Old May 4th 2007, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Odd Balls is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TrevorTronix
Better to go for a phone & internet deal- PT/SAPO is the most expensive, but most widely available- CLIX seem to offer the best inclusive deals, TELE2 quite good too- just depends on who is available in your area. SKY nothing to do with phone/internet, we can perhaps help you there- where are you in the Algarve? T.
HI Trevor do you know if all three are available in Tavira. Thanks OB
Old May 4th 2007, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Dishin'upDigital is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Odd Balls
HI Trevor do you know if all three are available in Tavira. Thanks OB
Hi OB. Clix definitely is (I use it), don't know about Tele2, but they have been advertising in the area, so logically I'd think so. But it is Portugal..... You can usually check by puting your (or a near-by) phone number into their website for an availability check.
Old May 7th 2007, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Odd Balls is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks TT
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

liz67 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Odd Balls
Thanks TT
I want broadband, i have a pc but dont want a fixed phone line, does anyone know who and what is available?
Old Oct 13th 2007, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Dishin'upDigital is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by liz67
I want broadband, i have a pc but dont want a fixed phone line, does anyone know who and what is available?
Hi Liz. Friends of mine were in a similar position, and they got one of those USB things from 'Optimus' (mobile phone network)- not blisteringly fast, but it does the job. And it's 'pay as you go' as far as I know, & you anly pay for the amount of data you use, not the time spent online, so sounds a reasonable compromise.
Old Oct 13th 2007, 8:25 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TrevorTronix
Hi Liz. Friends of mine were in a similar position, and they got one of those USB things from 'Optimus' (mobile phone network)- not blisteringly fast, but it does the job. And it's 'pay as you go' as far as I know, & you anly pay for the amount of data you use, not the time spent online, so sounds a reasonable compromise.
Ive got that one from Optimus,its called kangaru.
Its 29 euros a month which is cheaper than I used to pay for Sapo in Algarve,BUT it is sooooooooooooooooo slow.
However,its better than nothing.
You have to pay for the modem which was 69 euros as a one off,oo also you have to sign a minimum one yaer contract with them.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

wingodav is an unknown quantity at this point

ola everyone! i'm new to this forum, found it while researching a potential/dream move to portugal. my husband and i work from home so in theory we can live anywhere in the world. portugal is top of my list! i have this idea of moving to one of those beautiful quintas in the middle of nowhere (but not ridiculously far from a town) but obviously phone and broadband are essential to what we do. i was wondering if anyone could shed light on what the situation is with broadband service in the rural areas?
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by wingodav
ola everyone! i'm new to this forum, found it while researching a potential/dream move to portugal. my husband and i work from home so in theory we can live anywhere in the world. portugal is top of my list! i have this idea of moving to one of those beautiful quintas in the middle of nowhere (but not ridiculously far from a town) but obviously phone and broadband are essential to what we do. i was wondering if anyone could shed light on what the situation is with broadband service in the rural areas?
Ola and welcome
It all depends,I live only 50 mins from Lisbon and cannot get BB,however,the next village can!!!!!!! I asked PT before I bought the house if I could get it...they said yes,I cant!!!!!!! welcome to the wonderful world of Portugal.
When you find an area you like,talk to the neighbours and see what the general opinion is,Its the only way,dont trust PT,ask around locally
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:45 pm

Humm
If you read the whole thread I may be confusing you.
I moved from Algarve to central port in July

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.