Tavira - Quinta de Pegada

Tavira - Quinta de Pegada

Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Frosty908 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tavira - Quinta de Pegada

Originally Posted by SteveL
Hi frosty908,

Just seen you message we are looking to have Sky installed and wondered which block you are in Orange or Blue? if the same as us we would like to take you up on using one of your spare LNB ports.
Hi Steve
We're in the Orange block - from your previous post in this thread, I gather you're in the Blue one next door, so it looks like a non-starter... Are there any others in your block who would be willing to join you for a dish? Mind you, it seems as though most people are holiday homers, so it's difficult to catch people to ask them, which is why we just put one up anyway and hopefully others will use it too.
Good to chat to others in the same area as us - Hope you all like the place as much as we do, and hopefully there shouldn't be too long to wait for the pool/shop etc...it's quite a walk to the nearest shop for the morning rolls!
Old Mar 29th 2007, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Odd Balls is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Folks, are many of you learning the language?

The good thing about some of the shops in Tavira is that they do not speak English. Last time in the warmth, went into a shop with our few weeks worth of lessons and failed abysmally!! Going back to have another crack.................. I know most can speak English, but when in Rome
Old Mar 30th 2007, 4:39 pm
Gina11

Gina11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TrevorTronix
Hi.
Ref. 'Rua da Fonte', it's right next to & overlooked by Quinta da Pegada. We fit Sky TV in the area & are quite familiar with the various properties in the area, all of which are finished to an excellent standard, with none of the 'horror stories' you often hear when people buy overseas.
Good forum guys, keep it up! Trevortronix.com
Hi Trevor
How much do you charge to install sky in Quinta de Pegada

Please pm the reply as no advertising is allowed on the forum.

Last edited by jdr; Mar 30th 2007 at 7:48 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:26 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gina
Just got back from completing our purchase. Everthing went incredibly smoothly. Arrived Wednesday pm; Thursday am went to the the apartment to do the snagging list; from there to Je Ne Sais Quoi to talk furniture (great coffee); then to the bank to open and account; then to the notary's office to listen to them all gabbling away and arguing about whether this and that number was right with the lawyer translating the important bits for us; then we were the owners of a set of keys; back to the lawyer's office to sign few more bits of paper (standing orders for utilities) and that was it.
We spent the rest of the time getting to know Tavira and the area a bit better and trying out all the recommendations for restaurants. Found most of those on the "east" side of the river to be excellent.

By the way the well on the roundabout turned out to be a water wheel. So that is now our landmark for our development
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Sue B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TaviraTrog
Hi Gina
Just got back from completing our purchase. Everthing went incredibly smoothly. Arrived Wednesday pm; Thursday am went to the the apartment to do the snagging list; from there to Je Ne Sais Quoi to talk furniture (great coffee); then to the bank to open and account; then to the notary's office to listen to them all gabbling away and arguing about whether this and that number was right with the lawyer translating the important bits for us; then we were the owners of a set of keys; back to the lawyer's office to sign few more bits of paper (standing orders for utilities) and that was it.
We spent the rest of the time getting to know Tavira and the area a bit better and trying out all the recommendations for restaurants. Found most of those on the "east" side of the river to be excellent.

By the way the well on the roundabout turned out to be a water wheel. So that is now our landmark for our development
Hi
I am glad everything went ok for you. We saw the water wheel and wondered if it was the well you described. It is just after Quinta De Pergada.

Happy holidays
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Odd Balls
Hi Sue B as a new member I now know when you are going to be in Portugal and WHEN YOU ARE NOT!! Remember we are forever telling our children to be careful on the internet, it is no different for us. If you want to check something email the person and make sure you do not give information on other peoples behalf on the site................... but it is good to talk! OB
Hi Odd Balls

Good that you found the site. Lots of things to learn.

The thing is you might know when I am going to be there but the apartment is occupied nearly all the time with our family and friends. We bought knowing it would be well used.

I hope someone is going to be there for the meeting to start the owners association on the 9th of April, I don't think it apropriate to ask our friends to go for us.

The meeting is at 10 o'clock I believe.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Frosty908;4562400]Hello - We've recently bought an aparment in Quinta da Pegada, our builders were Helena and Fernando. We 'moved in' the week before last, spent the whole week putting together the furniture, putting up the curtains, bathroom fittings, lights etc.
We had the furniture shipped out from the UK, which I am so glad we did. It meant we could buy everything we needed here and have it all arrive in one go. Also, it was better being able to buy stuff in the sales and from what I have seen of the furniture shops in the Algarve, there is far more choice in the UK.
Anyway, while we were out there, we had a Sky dish installed with an 8 way LNB (basically, it means 8 apartments can connect with the same dish). Therefore, if you want Sky (you will either need to subscribe to Sky in the UK - you can't subscribe from a PT address, or you can have the free-to-air channels (BBC1, 2, ITV1, 2 etc), or pay a one off fee of £20 to get channel 4 and channel 5) feel free to get your installer to connect to our dish. All the wiring is internal, so he will be able to wire it to your existing TV sockets in the apartment.
I have posted a card for the installer we used in everyone's letterboxes at the block.
We were so pleased with the place - Helena and Fernando are so helpful and the finish on the place is amazing!
Email me if you want any more info - Perhaps we'll all meet in Pegada at some point.

Hi Frosty 908

We have just had sky installed ( Bullied by daughter and friends who didn't want to miss Tracy's trial ect) Didn't know you could get an 8 way LNB, Fernando told us to share with 4 we have 3 already so there is only one left.
We used Mark who Fernando recommended.
Hope to see you all sometime.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:02 am
Gina11

Hi Sue
Hope you had a good time in QDP. How was the weather? Sounds good about the residents association. Looking forward to being there and seeing hoe it is all developing. Good to talk to you
Gina
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:08 am
Gina11

Hi Gina

Hi TT
Nice to hear from you. Glad all went well with the purchase. I agree about the notary. When we did it, it all seemed very chaotic but they all seemed to know what was going on!!! Yes the roundabout you are at is where I thought it was. Now you say about it I remember our estate agent pointing it out to us and giving us a little local history about it. Don't ask me what he said though I was concentrating on the house buying at the time and, shame on me didn't pay much attention. Any recommendations for eating places gratefully received, we could start up a star rating between us all!!!!!
Speak to you again soon
Gina
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:11 am
Gina11

Originally Posted by Odd Balls
Hi Folks, are many of you learning the language?

The good thing about some of the shops in Tavira is that they do not speak English. Last time in the warmth, went into a shop with our few weeks worth of lessons and failed abysmally!! Going back to have another crack.................. I know most can speak English, but when in Rome
Hi Odd balls
We are also trying to learn the language and finding it very enjoyable but extremely hard. My husband is much better than me. We are also going to have a crack where English can't be understood!!!! I'm not holding out much hope but prepared to have a go
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:33 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Tavira - Quinta de Pegada

Any idea what the names of the roundabout mean? My dictionary only gives daughter-in-law for "nora"; so Nora Velha means old daughter-in-law and Nora de Agua daughter-in-law of the water. Strange names for roundabouts. Perhaps there is another meaning for Nora; somebody's name perhaps?

Larry
(I've decided to dispense with anonymity so perhaps I'd better change my user name as well).
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:06 am
Gina11

Hi Larry
nice name, much better than trog
I don't know what the roundabouts mean, but I think it would be entertaining to find out. Clearly the Portuguese love to decorate the roundabouts quite significantly and you are right they are great for landmarks etc...
We like the 'nike tick' as my husband calls it. I think it looks like the Sikh religious Ohm symbol, my daughter calls it the bulls horn so there you are, one family, 3 names - it would be good to get the official title. My personal favouraite is the one by the airport with the people looking to the sky.
The next time we go we are flying to Seville and driving to Tavira so I'll miss the skywatchers.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:22 am
C'est la vie

Originally Posted by Gina11
Hi Larry
nice name, much better than trog
I don't know what the roundabouts mean, but I think it would be entertaining to find out. Clearly the Portuguese love to decorate the roundabouts quite significantly and you are right they are great for landmarks etc...
We like the 'nike tick' as my husband calls it. I think it looks like the Sikh religious Ohm symbol, my daughter calls it the bulls horn so there you are, one family, 3 names - it would be good to get the official title. My personal favouraite is the one by the airport with the people looking to the sky.
The next time we go we are flying to Seville and driving to Tavira so I'll miss the skywatchers.
Yes, my wife is quite taken with the sky-gazers as well. From your description of the other one I think you're referring to the one that I think of as a sail but then I sail for a hobby. There is a plaque on it as you drive round the roundabout but I never really got a chance to read it properly. I think it was Velo de Vinta or something like that. The sculptor's name is on it and the date it was installed. Are we talking about the same one? It's the roundabout that leads out to the motorway from Tavira.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 12:27 pm
Gina11

Yes, my wife is quite taken with the sky-gazers as well. From your description of the other one I think you're referring to the one that I think of as a sail but then I sail for a hobby. There is a plaque on it as you drive round the roundabout but I never really got a chance to read it properly. I think it was Velo de Vinta or something like that. The sculptor's name is on it and the date it was installed. Are we talking about the same one? It's the roundabout that leads out to the motorway from Tavira.
Hi Larry
Yes it's the same one. Know what you mean about the sail aspect of the design. I will look at it with new eyes next time I see it. Are you pleased with your apartment, will you live there or is it for holidays?
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 1:25 pm
C'est la vie

Thumbs up Re: Tavira - Quinta de Pegada

Hi Gina,

We will be moving out permanently later this year- possibly in September/October. But who knows - we are about to put our house here on the market and if it sells quickly we could be out there sooner. Whatever happens, we intend to be settled in by Christmas.

And yes, we are pleased with the apartment. We didn't set out to buy an apartment but in the end we had to compromise on the type of accommodation to get the location we wanted. Basically we were shown lots of townhouses etc that we liked in locations we didn't. So when we walked into this apartment and both liked it immediately we changed our minds.

We lived in apartments in Berlin for 18+ years so it won't be difficult to adapt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.