Reload this Page >

Swimming pool costs

Wikiposts

Swimming pool costs

Old Oct 1st 2020, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

HappydaysUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Swimming pool costs

Thinking about getting a pool fitted. Have had a quote for fitting and planning etc etc.
I was wondering what the running costs would approx be.... (Electric etc) ??
Pool size would be 10m x 5m
Old Oct 1st 2020, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swimming pool costs

Salt water or otherwise?

Ours is salt water, use about 4 bags of salt a year, costing 20€, have the pump running 2 - 4 hours a day, so not a lot of lecky. The acid is 25€ a year ish. Also think aboutthe water cost. We have our own water so no problem, but in the height of summer, you'll be topping it up every day.

I might have forgotten something, as my husband looks after the pool - I just use it
Old Oct 1st 2020, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Ajmandon is an unknown quantity at this point

power rating of pump (kw) (X) hours run per day (X) efficiency factor (say 1.2) gives kWhr consumed per day .
budget on 3 or so hours per day summer, 1 or 2 in winter ..... more if the pool is used a lot, has overhanging trees/ grass etc
I guess mine is on average 20/30euro/mth. A decent pump and filtration system properly installed should last many years with minimal maintenance. Mine is at least 7 years old....... oops now I've put the hex on it!! .
Good local poolman visit once a week incl. chemicals, ~100euro/mth .... you may get away with fewer visits in the winter but regular visits particularly if unoccupied mean problems can be spotted/resolved before they get out of hand..... you could of course DIY !!
Water.... topping up in summer, is at least a weekly exercise less in winter, particularly if there isn't a pool cover ...... say 5-10 euro/mth

A cover will reduce water loss and potentially pump run hours but I personally don't think the cost benefit is there for me. Not cheap and can be a real pain, especially if windy and you fancy a quick dip.

Obviously you can end up paying a LOT more particularly if the pump is run excessively and/or you engage one of the "pool service" companies
Old Oct 1st 2020, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HappydaysUK
Thinking about getting a pool fitted. Have had a quote for fitting and planning etc etc.
I was wondering what the running costs would approx be.... (Electric etc) ??
Pool size would be 10m x 5m
Not an answer to your question but just initial thoughts
Are you sure you can install a pool of 10 x 5m
You will of course need a building license if it is an `inground` pool.
Build it without a license and therefore without permission would cause future issues if the property went for sale.
Old Oct 1st 2020, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Every pool is different, so what may work best for one person may not work for you and your pool.

We have the same size pool as you're going to have, ours is a little too deep, I think the builder looked at the plans once or twice 🙄

Keep it shallow and it'll warm quicker, we have salt water so in summer it needs 6 hrs a day filtration to keep chlorine levels up, we gradually ramp down to 3 hrs a day during the off season. We also have an ashp if required to extend the season, just running the circulation pump costs about 40e a month.
A solar cover keeps the temperature up overnight and reduces evaporation to almost zero so is well worth the outlay.

Save yourself the pool boys fees and look after the pool yourself it's quite simple.

There's plenty advice on YouTube.

Enjoy 🏊🏊‍♀️🏊‍♀️

Old Oct 2nd 2020, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg
Every pool is different, so what may work best for one person may not work for you and your pool.

We have the same size pool as you're going to have, ours is a little too deep, I think the builder looked at the plans once or twice 🙄

Keep it shallow and it'll warm quicker, we have salt water so in summer it needs 6 hrs a day filtration to keep chlorine levels up, we gradually ramp down to 3 hrs a day during the off season. We also have an ashp if required to extend the season, just running the circulation pump costs about 40e a month.
A solar cover keeps the temperature up overnight and reduces evaporation to almost zero so is well worth the outlay.

Save yourself the pool boys fees and look after the pool yourself it's quite simple.

There's plenty advice on YouTube.

Enjoy 🏊🏊‍♀️🏊‍♀️
I second that dingg. I have been looking after my pool for 17 years. Salt water, 10m x 5m, 1.8m at deep end, pool cover, pool heater for April/May and September/October. I reduce my electricity costs by running electrics mostly during off-peak period but if you want a usable pool for exercise or whatever, you have to pay for it. If I didn't want to swim for exercise, I wouldn't have a pool at all, it's an expensive luxury. By the way, my idea of exercise in a 10 x 5 pool is to swim round the perimeter non-stop for at least 10 times, and then do it again.
Old May 25th 2021, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice

I'm thinking of getting a pool installed and definitely want to go with salt water. When I lived in the US changing my pool to salt water made a big difference in maintenance time and cost. I brought the controller and salt cell with me to Portugal but I'm not sure that I will be able to service it here if needed, the SWG is made by Hayward. Which salt water chlorine generators do you recommend?

Last edited by Rosemary; May 25th 2021 at 8:02 pm. Reason: removed the quoted post as it has been deleted and the comment regarding it
Old May 27th 2021, 7:34 am
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoff
I'm thinking of getting a pool installed and definitely want to go with salt water. When I lived in the US changing my pool to salt water made a big difference in maintenance time and cost. I brought the controller and salt cell with me to Portugal but I'm not sure that I will be able to service it here if needed, the SWG is made by Hayward. Which salt water chlorine generators do you recommend?
Is that 110v zoff?
Old May 27th 2021, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice

It can operate at 110v or 220v.
I need to check if if it will run at 60Hz and 50Hz. Didn't think about it until now.

Last edited by zoff; May 27th 2021 at 7:43 am.
Old May 28th 2021, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Score76
Is that 110v zoff?
...too late to edit yesterday's reply.

I have just checked and the Hayward SWG runs from 110VAC to 250VAC, 50 or 60Hz.