Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

To Swim or not to Swim?

To Swim or not to Swim?

Old Sep 2nd 2022, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute
Default To Swim or not to Swim?

I’ve been swimming in my condominium pool while the municipal pool has been closed for maintenance and one day last week the pool man was leaving as I was going in. He told me he had added chemicals to the pool and that I should wait 15-20 minutes before swimming, which I did. A few days later I was halfway through my swim when a different pool man turned up and tipped a bucket of white crystals in the trough around the edge of the pool. I asked him if I was ok to keep swimming and he said yes, no problem. I think one of them was telling me porkies, but which one? Is it safe to swim when this stuff is added or not?
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Eddie5425 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: To Swim or not to Swim?

I used to look after a pool in Dorset day to day. Colin who was the real expert worked for Spruce Pools did all the technical stuff, opened it up in Summer closed it down in winter, always used to say after adding anything chlorine booster, Ph balancer "give it an hour to dissipate.

Hope it helps
Best
Eddie
"
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be fine

And that's evident by your posting after swimming in the chemical soup 🏊👍
Old Sep 3rd 2022, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg
You'll be fine

And that's evident by your posting after swimming in the chemical soup 🏊👍
…but why has my skin turned green …?
Old Sep 3rd 2022, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

When I top up my pool from the borehole, I need to add acid to soften the water. The trouble is I get a tingling feeling when I then jump in!
Old Sep 3rd 2022, 5:16 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind pools................What about the Praias Fluviais ? These look inviting in the pictures............But how safe is it to swim in water potentially infected by rat and other animal urine etc. ? For that matter.............do the water companies discharge sewage into rivers, as apparently they do in the UK ?
Old Sep 4th 2022, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

The headlines about the UK discharging waste were rather misleading; nothing to do with any change in regulation, it was due to excessive rainfall overwhelming the combined sewage / drainage systems.
EU regs say such systems should be modernized, and UK regs still say the same thing.

That won't happen here because it hasn't rained.
Some municipalities have separated the sewage system from the rain water drains (I believe most or all of the Algarve has more modern, separated systems).

Sea water often gets flagged as unsafe for a variety of reasons; too much heat can cause fish die off and algae blooms for instance.
Old Sep 4th 2022, 4:48 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
Never mind pools................What about the Praias Fluviais ? These look inviting in the pictures............But how safe is it to swim in water potentially infected by rat and other animal urine etc. ? For that matter.............do the water companies discharge sewage into rivers, as apparently they do in the UK ?
Ummmm........"potentially infected by rat and other animal urine", personally, I'd be more worried about rats with two legs.

Portugal is not a third-world country. Analytical Laboratories exist all over the place and testing water purity is relatively straightforward and required by health regulations, whether for a praia fluvial or otherwise.