Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

SWAPPING a UK reg car for a PORTUGUESE reg one ???

SWAPPING a UK reg car for a PORTUGUESE reg one ???

Old Oct 1st 2021, 2:34 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute
Default SWAPPING a UK reg car for a PORTUGUESE reg one ???

It is occurring to me that if there were someone currently in Portugal, but intending to return to the UK, s/he might be interested in a car swap - my UK reg car ( auto, Clio, excellent condition ) for her / his locally reg'd car.............

But how / where to find such a person ??

Thoughts ? Or anyone who might be interested to simply drive my car to England.... on whatever mutually beneficial terms ?

But how to find ??
Old Oct 5th 2021, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SWAPPING a UK reg car for a PORTUGUESE reg one ???

Try advertising your car for sale in the UK on UK sites, with the stated condition that the car is in Portugal and will need to be driven back.
You'll need to offer it at a discount of course, and you're asking a lot of the buyer as they'll need to be pretty confident to buy the 1 way ticket.

I did it 10 years ago with a big old camper van I had. I posted closeups of rust and damage too, which made the buyer believe me about the rest of it.
I took a beating on the price, but I didn't have to leave home and all were satisfied.
It only had weeks left on its MOT too.

Old Oct 5th 2021, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
It is occurring to me that if there were someone currently in Portugal, but intending to return to the UK, s/he might be interested in a car swap - my UK reg car ( auto, Clio, excellent condition ) for her / his locally reg'd car.............

Thoughts ? Or anyone who might be interested to simply drive my car to England.... on whatever mutually beneficial terms ?

But how to find ??
Best bet would be Facebook brits in Portugal forum

Offer your terms for someone to drive it back for you and see if you get any takers
Old Oct 5th 2021, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv

But how to find ??
Hi,

Would you send me a few more details by PM? Reg number, condition, how long has it been in PT, price in Portugal? I know someone from UK who is juggling several visits before the year end and will need transport, there's parking walking distance from the airport so buying this may be a viable alternative to hiring something again and again.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 11:43 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coleio
Hi,

Would you send me a few more details by PM? Reg number, condition, how long has it been in PT, price in Portugal? I know someone from UK who is juggling several visits before the year end and will need transport, there's parking walking distance from the airport so buying this may be a viable alternative to hiring something again and again.
Sorry but that is not possible because it would be interpreted as advertising which is against the rules even in a PM.

Please members keep within the rules or I will have to close this thread.

Rosemary
Old Oct 6th 2021, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately your site won't let me edit or delete my post.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 8:42 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coleio
Unfortunately your site won't let me edit or delete my post.
I can do that for you if you want me to.

Rosemary
Old Oct 6th 2021, 8:55 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

More fundamentally : I have often wondered what the rationale is for making advertising ' against the rules' .

Surely if adverts were permitted ( perhaps on payment of small fee ? ) this would only add to the functionality of the site ?

It is already useful, but having a section for 'For Sale and Wanted' and so on would only make it more so.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by riv
More fundamentally : I have often wondered what the rationale is for making advertising ' against the rules' .

Surely if adverts were permitted ( perhaps on payment of small fee ? ) this would only add to the functionality of the site ?

It is already useful, but having a section for 'For Sale and Wanted' and so on would only make it more so.
There used to be a For Sale section many years ago but I think that when the site was bought from the previous private owners this was removed as the site was funded by advertisers which is how the site remains available to all of us. It has been suggested before but rejected.

Rosemary
Old Oct 7th 2021, 12:49 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

I'm sorry...........I still do not understand the rationale.............The site is funded by 'advertisers'...............ok............I see one now on the RHS of the page....'carnext.com' .................Fair enough.
But if there were a section somewhere ( which you say there was in the past ) for individuals ( who are duly registered with the site ) to post , as it were, classified ads...............how would this impact, negatively or otherwise, the existing 'advertisers' ? Is there any reason why ' CarNext .com ' would be reluctant to advertise if individuals could also post classified ads ?
I just don't understand why such a useful functionality ( being able to place / read classified ads ) would deter current advertisers from continuing to advertise.
On the contrary, because classified ads are an additional reason for persons to log on to the site, if I were a commercial advertiser I would be pleased that such were permitted, as I would calculate that the footfall on the site would be greater than would be the case for a site lacking classified ads functionality.

Old Oct 7th 2021, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by riv
I'm sorry...........I still do not understand the rationale.............The site is funded by 'advertisers'...............ok............I see one now on the RHS of the page....'carnext.com' .................Fair enough.
But if there were a section somewhere ( which you say there was in the past ) for individuals ( who are duly registered with the site ) to post , as it were, classified ads...............how would this impact, negatively or otherwise, the existing 'advertisers' ? Is there any reason why ' CarNext .com ' would be reluctant to advertise if individuals could also post classified ads ?
I just don't understand why such a useful functionality ( being able to place / read classified ads ) would deter current advertisers from continuing to advertise.
On the contrary, because classified ads are an additional reason for persons to log on to the site, if I were a commercial advertiser I would be pleased that such were permitted, as I would calculate that the footfall on the site would be greater than would be the case for a site lacking classified ads functionality.
Contact Bob and put your point across.

Rosemary