Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Supermarket Loyalty Cards

Supermarket Loyalty Cards

Old Feb 17th 2021, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Supermarket Loyalty Cards

I was given a Pingo Doce loyalty card application form a few days ago and I've tried to work out whether it's worth going through the application process. The only benefit that I can see is a discount on petrol at BP fuel stations, however they (BP) seem to have the most expensive pump price of all the local distributors. Unleaded 95 at the petrol station attached to Intermarche in Lagos is significantly cheaper than the other locations, so the fuel discount on the PD loyalty card isn't very attractive. Are there other benefits I might be missing...?
Old Feb 17th 2021, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarket Loyalty Cards

With the Pingo card, you get the discounts at the check-out. Also, if you register it - a right pain - then you get other discounts, when they have those on offer. Today, many items I bought had two discounts.

Also, at special times, week-ends normally, they have no iva.

I haven't used the petrol thing, as we don't have a bp anywhere near us.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ouriquejan
With the Pingo card, you get the discounts at the check-out. Also, if you register it - a right pain - then you get other discounts, when they have those on offer. Today, many items I bought had two discounts.

thank you for clarifying. What is an iva?
Old Feb 17th 2021, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportpix
thank you for clarifying. What is an iva?
IVA = VAT

Worthwhile signing-up for Continente Card
Old Feb 17th 2021, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

I have one of those too, but since we moved, never used it. Too far away. Saved me 200€ on a pair of glasses at Wells opticians though.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

And intermarche card seems to be nearly worthless!
Where I live only intermarche is close by so that's where I do most of my shopping.
Most of their specials don't require the card.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 10:11 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ouriquejan

Ummmm.... the serice station at Ourique PD is BP

As said, some discounts are only for card users and the zero IVA can really make a difference.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Berlimey, is it?? Whoops.

Not that we use it often, we give the car a run down the IC1, as it only goes out once a week now.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

We have a Continente card and have had great savings from it .Had €40 and €50 discounts quite recently. Also €5 off your bill if you spend a certain amount. Reasonable discounts off Galp. They also give stamps/stickers for every €20 you spend which you can exchange for products .Had a great carving knife and a good pyrex dish off them and the current issue is for glasses(the drinking kind!).Not a chore to get one instore if I remember.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Fluffyhead has a spectacular aura aboutFluffyhead has a spectacular aura aboutFluffyhead has a spectacular aura about

ouriquejan - Re "With the Pingo card, you get the discounts at the check-out. Also, if you register it - a right pain - then you get other discounts..."
I don't understand the concept of registering it, can you explain please?
I do have a Pingo card and used to use it when certain items were only discounted if you used the card. However for the last few years the price labels implied the items were discounted for everyone so I haven't bothered to use the card as the BP thing is of no interest to us (we live near Spain so fill the car there). From what you've written though it seems I need to check the discount situation again.

I agree with liveaboard that Intermarché cards are useless unless you fit into some special category - I can't remember what they are - but I rarely shop there as they don't have a good range - except wine!

I use Continente a lot as they do have regular 10% off everything coupons and sometimes stamps to collect. I just wish they did Click and Go now - the closest places to me are 200km away!
Old Feb 18th 2021, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fluffyhead, for example, yesterday, I had a few items with the normal discount, but another one added, in effect, two discounts. You have to go on their website and register you poupa mais card for the extra discounts. It's a bit of a faff, but worth it.
Old Feb 19th 2021, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Fluffyhead has a spectacular aura aboutFluffyhead has a spectacular aura aboutFluffyhead has a spectacular aura about

Ah, I see now, thanks ouriquejan, I'll look into it
Old Feb 19th 2021, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fluffyhead
Ah, I see now, thanks ouriquejan, I'll look into it
Quick question. To register they want either tax number or passport number. Is there any downside to supplying either of these?
Old Feb 19th 2021, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

None at all.
Old Feb 20th 2021, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportpix
Quick question. To register they want either tax number or passport number. Is there any downside to supplying either of these?
You may have come across the desire for the Finanças department for everyone to give their "Contribuente" number which is your NIF number whenever paying for anything in Portugal, and for suppliers of goods and services to ask for it. This links your invoices to your tax situation since there are items that will then be added to a discount on your eventual tax due the following year. You spend for instance on Hotel &/or Restaurant, take your dog to the vet, pay for Medical Services, have your hair done, rental accommodation - all of these go to your discount. Supermarket general shopping, buying fuel for the car, and many many other things do not count and go in the "other" classification.
One advantage of having your NIF associated with your Supermarket Loyalty Card is that you don't have to quote your NIF every time! Personally can't see any downside to supplying it. Passport number would be more for non-residents perhaps?

Of course there are sceptics who see lurking government surveillance of the population's spending habits and noseyness into whether bills are issued properly and IVA paid etc etc, and of course a lot of people do not pay enough tax in Portugal to benefit from the scheme, but it does give some sort of benefit, encourages use of such as Vets and Hairdressers !!, and gives the government's statistics gurus something to chew on!

We have just had friendly emails from the Portal of Finanças to suggest we check our faturas as some were pending, wanting confirmation of their categories before 23 February for the tax year 2020 - and indicating how much discount we would have on our tax bill - if we were liable to pay any, which we are not expecting to do ... A fun thing to do on a rainy day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.