Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Staying over 90 days in Portugal as a non resident!

Staying over 90 days in Portugal as a non resident!

Old Feb 21st 2021, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Staying over 90 days in Portugal as a non resident!

Would it help if you popped down to Morrocco for three months? Covid hardly exists down there and it would be warm at least. Just a thought, I mean because it is out of the Shengen area. Then you could restart your 90.
Old Feb 21st 2021, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

morro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond repute

It has crossed my mind! I need to fly from Faro. Stay for 2 or 3 weeks and then fly to the UK.
Old Feb 25th 2021, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if people in the group who want to visit EU for more than 90 days in the year without the need for visa applications etc, might find this calculator tool of use? Came across it on another forum ... https://www.visa-calculator.com/
Old Feb 26th 2021, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Better use official calculator site, then some unknow site with gmail account.

https://ec.europa.eu/assets/home/vis...or.htm?lang=en

Old Mar 10th 2021, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

In case you missed it this may help those non-residents 'stuck' in Portugal (who don't need to drive back through Spain)

Something odd is happening and the link I am posting isn't appearing.

The British Embassy in Portugal have posted this information

'SEF have confirmed to the British Embassy that if you arrived in Portugal before 31 December 2020, and you are not resident or don’t intent to become resident, and you are still in Portugal due to COVID-19 travel restrictions, you do not need a visa or further authorisation to stay in Portugal longer than 90 days. SEF has told us that this is because you were exercising your right to free movement when you arrived and you are not subject to immigration control.'

Last edited by appman999; Mar 10th 2021 at 2:01 pm. Reason: No link showing
Old Mar 10th 2021, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

morro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond repute

This is great news! I have been gathering everything I needed for a Visa application.
I would like an official document to show passport control when I am able to leave end of May/June. So that I am not banned when I want to return.
Old Mar 10th 2021, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that. Presumably morro saw the link though so that's OK. As they say never too old to learn.
Old Mar 10th 2021, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morro
This is great news! I have been gathering everything I needed for a Visa application.
I would like an official document to show passport control when I am able to leave end of May/June. So that I am not banned when I want to return.
The info came from the British Embassy, the full text of their press release did point out that this exemption to the need for a visa only applies in Portugal (just like the official visa extensions).
Old Mar 10th 2021, 4:54 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by appman999
Thanks for that. Presumably morro saw the link though so that's OK. As they say never too old to learn.
Sorry - deleted my message as when I clicked on the links in my post they took me to the Facebook login page as opposed to directly to the relevant part of the British Embassy site.

For anybody else wondering what this is all about, I was responding to appman999 to explain that his link didn't display due to its being to Facebook.
Old Mar 10th 2021, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Facebook thread following the announcement by the Embassy (which hopefully you can now see) did contain comments from people who had contacted SEF regarding it which appeared to indicate a lack of knowledge of this in SEF?

As I intimated originally this doesn't help those who need to drive back through Spain. As Bomber has said it only applies in Portugal. I have asked the Embassy in Spain about this but they not usually particularly helpful and just refer you to the local authorities.
Old Mar 10th 2021, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by appman999
The Facebook thread following the announcement by the Embassy https://www.facebook.com/BritsInPort...92914947596328 (which hopefully you can now see) did contain comments from people who had contacted SEF regarding it which appeared to indicate a lack of knowledge of this in SEF?

As I intimated originally this doesn't help those who need to drive back through Spain. As Bomber has said it only applies in Portugal. I have asked the Embassy in Spain about this but they not usually particularly helpful and just refer you to the local authorities.
Pasted the link into my quote so hopefully will now appear like magic? Yes!!! And it goes to the right place, result.