Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Starting a small rental business

Starting a small rental business

Old Nov 26th 2019, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default Starting a small rental business

Hi,
We plan to start an AL, a short term accommodation for tourists.
Before registrating and ask for a licence at the 'balcao unico', you need to go to Financas and inform them you intend to start a business.
We found online at Financas a form 'Incicio de actividade' but it is really difficult to complete this form.
Has anyone experience with this? Better to go to the Financas?

Thanks
Old Nov 26th 2019, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting a small rental business

I think you may be prevented from using the Balcão Único (or other online methods) due to the absence of a Cartão de Cidadão. I went to my local Finanças office and effectively they completed the form for me. Unfortunately I can't currently find my copy, so don't ask too many questions!

You will need to estimate your turnover for the first 'year' (ending 31/12, I think). If the annualised rate is less than €9,999 you will not have to register for IVA yet, though it may still be to your advantage to do so.

In my case I was 'converting' my AL licence under the old rules to the new system of operating an activity under the simplified Category B regime, so it may now be different anyway.