Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Square Christmas Cards

Square Christmas Cards

Old Dec 19th 2018, 7:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Square Christmas Cards

In Canada and the US it costs more to send square envelopes through the mail. I was told it was because the sorting machines have difficulty processing them. Same with certain sizes of envelopes.
Old Dec 19th 2018, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Get over yourself.......... I think you'll find most countries have a sliding scale of charges dependent on size & weight etc and as each limit is exceeded then the price goes up................. and Skype is hardly "modern technology" - Google tells me it was launched in 2003.
How very rude. There's no need for your attitude on this forum.
Old Dec 19th 2018, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 19th 2018, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In Canada and the US it costs more to send square envelopes through the mail. I was told it was because the sorting machines have difficulty processing them. Same with certain sizes of envelopes.
I think you are right about the sorting machines. A lot of the square Christmas cards we are receiving from the UK are not franked, probably because the machines are having trouble with them.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Vinny17 is an unknown quantity at this point

"I'm surprised people still send cards by snail mail but there you go............................ & I can still see a really funny side to it."

Not trying to poke the bear - maybe I am getting old - but I still like sending and receiving cards. Perhaps there is something tactile about it, or that someone puts in the effort even though it is easier to do the electronic version. I feel like "Ecards" are lame. Probably just me.

I find sending hand written cards, thank you notes and letters is becoming a lost art - very easy - and generally very well received.

So, having said that - here is my electronic Merry Christmas to everyone here - Thanks to all for all of the great info provided on this forum - most helpful
Old Dec 20th 2018, 10:10 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vinny17
"I'm surprised people still send cards by snail mail but there you go............................ & I can still see a really funny side to it."

Not trying to poke the bear - maybe I am getting old - but I still like sending and receiving cards. Perhaps there is something tactile about it, or that someone puts in the effort even though it is easier to do the electronic version. I feel like "Ecards" are lame. Probably just me.

I find sending hand written cards, thank you notes and letters is becoming a lost art - very easy - and generally very well received.

Totally agree with you, and I don't think it has anything to do with getting old. Like many people I have family and friends scattered across the world, as well as within Australia, and I send and receive lots of Christmas cards. They're like a gift in themselves, someone taking the time to choose a card and write a personal message. They look lovely and the kids at the local school make nice artwork out of them afterwards!
Old Dec 21st 2018, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Totally agree with you, and I don't think it has anything to do with getting old. Like many people I have family and friends scattered across the world, as well as within Australia, and I send and receive lots of Christmas cards. They're like a gift in themselves, someone taking the time to choose a card and write a personal message. They look lovely and the kids at the local school make nice artwork out of them afterwards!
Totally agree with you. Any ecards I receive are opened once and then discarded.