Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Speed Camera - Airport Approach

Speed Camera - Airport Approach

Old Dec 31st 2023, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

1711JohnB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Speed Camera - Airport Approach

For those who may be hiring a car from Faro airport in the near future, the speed limit has been dropped to 70kph too and from Faro airport. They have a camera scanning the road in both directions so take care.

Old Dec 31st 2023, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speed Camera - Airport Approach

I thought it was 70kph anyway on the airport approach reducing to 50kph near the top of the hill. Where is that camera located? Can’t ever remember seeing one so it would be good to know, even though I never speed on that piece of road
Old Dec 31st 2023, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

1Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

I would recommend to install the app WAZE on you smartphone. It gives warnings of radars and police check points.
Old Dec 31st 2023, 9:52 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1Steve
I would recommend to install the app WAZE on you smartphone. It gives warnings of radars and police check points.
I'd recommend you don't get caught as such things are illegal in Portugal.......

Averaging speed cameras are becoming more normal. They have installed one on the IC1 in the Alentejo..... it's going to catch out so many Lisbonites trying to save on the tolls!!
Old Dec 31st 2023, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
I'd recommend you don't get caught as such things are illegal in Portugal.......

Averaging speed cameras are becoming more normal. They have installed one on the IC1 in the Alentejo..... it's going to catch out so many Lisbonites trying to save on the tolls!!
An app on your phone is illegal?
Old Dec 31st 2023, 10:47 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Speed camera detectors are.... so why not an app that does the same thing? Privacy laws, etc., are different to the UK - it's a mistake to presume otherwise.

You have to be caught first...... but when they're desperate to get something on you.......
Old Jan 1st 2024, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

I had waze on my phone but deleted it as I didn’t use it, but anyway all it does is to indicate where the speed cameras are. I think you will find that there are notices that tell you you are approaching a speed camera zone so I doubt waze does anything different to what those signs do.
Old Jan 1st 2024, 1:28 am
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by sportpix
I had waze on my phone but deleted it as I didn’t use it, but anyway all it does is to indicate where the speed cameras are. I think you will find that there are notices that tell you you are approaching a speed camera zone so I doubt waze does anything different to what those signs do.
Can you explain all that in Portuguese? - because the GNR are notably patient when they stop you by the side of the road!!
Old Jan 1st 2024, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Radar detectors are illegal as they can detect the presence of operational cameras. Anyone possessing such a device will have it confiscated and be fined up to 2500 euros.

Apps such as WAZE are not detectors and they only inform of the location where speed cameras may be in operation but they cannot detect their presence. The police regularly release information on fixed and mobile cameras even giving locations, dates and times where mobile cameras will be in operation. They release this information to the media who in turn inform the general public so it is not illegal to inform of said cameras.

So apps like WAZE are perfectly legal to use and hence why I recommended them.

Happy New Year everybody
Old Jan 1st 2024, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Look for people coming the other way and flashing their lights. I always do that too; I don't know if it's legal.

If you notice local traffic suddenly driving the speed limit, chances are they know something you don't.

There are spots where they like to set up; where they have space and there's a nice stretch of road with an especially low speed limit. If you see a low speed limit posted on a straight open piece of road, think twice. They're probably just over that hill, around the curve, or behind that bus shelter.

Of course, I do not advocate driving faster than the speed limit at any time...
Old Jan 1st 2024, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Look for people coming the other way and flashing their lights. I always do that too; I don't know if it's legal.

If you notice local traffic suddenly driving the speed limit, chances are they know something you don't.

There are spots where they like to set up; where they have space and there's a nice stretch of road with an especially low speed limit. If you see a low speed limit posted on a straight open piece of road, think twice. They're probably just over that hill, around the curve, or behind that bus shelter.

Of course, I do not advocate driving faster than the speed limit at any time...
Better still, move to Lagos and take the train to the airport 😀
Old Jan 1st 2024, 11:35 am
Resident Cynic

Radar detectors are illegal as they can detect the presence of operational cameras. Anyone possessing such a device will have it confiscated and be fined up to 2500 euros.

Apps such as WAZE are not detectors and they only inform of the location where speed cameras may be in operation but they cannot detect their presence. The police regularly release information on fixed and mobile cameras even giving locations, dates and times where mobile cameras will be in operation. They release this information to the media who in turn inform the general public so it is not illegal to inform of said cameras.

So apps like WAZE are perfectly legal to use and hence why I recommended them.

Happy New Year everybody
OK, having read up on WAZE in particular, the fact that it does not actively detect cameras and is also hard to detect itself may be in its favour - however, the problem is that many people assume that, because something is legal is country A, it is also legal in Portugal........

A quick look at the CCTV situation is pertinent here.... it is not illegal to have CCTV, but it is illegal to use the recording without permission. Yet the growing number of "official" CCTV installations and the use of averaging speed cameras (which use ANPR) appears to counter this.... Dashcams are treated as CCTV, so...............

As I intimated above.... the finer points of law don't count for much if the GNR decide to object to your use of something "dubious" on a cold, wet night when you've other places to be...... the fine first, argue later scenario is probably one we'd all best avoid!

Happy 2024 - I really hope they publish the number of drivers caught by the new camera on the IC1..... because the "seemingly advisory" speed limit of 90kph is a joke - and the idea that a Portuguese driver can keep to the limit over a 2-3km distance seems an unlikely challenge!
Old Jan 1st 2024, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

WAZE Portugal is actually an official partner of the Autoridade Nacional de Segurança Rodoviária. The ANSR supplies the information regarding speed cameras and accident zones and request that WAZE includes audible warnings for both cameras and accident zones in its app. That is how I know it is legal and the GNR will also know that.

According to one article I read there were 112.744 caught speeding by the new cameras in their 1st Month of operation. I wasn't one of them :-)
https://www.jornaldenegocios.pt/econ...-apenas-um-mes

Also with respect to video, it is not illegal to use a dash cam in Portugal but it is illegal to publish any footage from it without consent of whoever is identified in the footage. If you have footage where an accident or other illegal act is recorded then the GNR will ask for a copy for their prosecution purposes. Then it will be up to the judge to accept the footage or not.
Old Jan 1st 2024, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Dafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really nice

Also with respect to video, it is not illegal to use a dash cam in Portugal but it is illegal to publish any footage from it without consent of whoever is identified in the footage. If you have footage where an accident or other illegal act is recorded then the GNR will ask for a copy for their prosecution purposes. Then it will be up to the judge to accept the footage or not.
Interesting . any official links to this ?

Last edited by Rosemary; Jan 1st 2024 at 4:47 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Jan 1st 2024, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Here is a case where the CCTV was accepted as evidence.

Acórdão do Tribunal da Relação de Guimarães