Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Someone to fish cable through conduit

Someone to fish cable through conduit

Old Oct 1st 2023, 5:28 pm
Old Oct 1st 2023, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice
Default Re: Someone to fish cable through conduit

A have a good cable puller but I still always use Vaseline. Give it a try.
Old Oct 1st 2023, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know a person to help you, but I've pulled a LOT of wires through conduits.

If you can't pull just one, then you need to pull the existing 3 cables out, then pull all 4 back through together, even if that means cutting the coax and then splicing them together again.
I know it sounds like a lot of extra work but actually you'll be done a a couple of hours.

Alternatively, rout the wire another way; but in my opinion, trying to get a snake through a conduit with 3 coax cables in it is not going to go your way.
Old Oct 2nd 2023, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice

Get a GUIA PASSA-CABOS like this one and run it through the conduit with the long springy part first. With this type of "Guia" the ends are are screwed on, when you get the guide to the end of the conduit unscrew the long piece and replace it with the piece with loop. Securely attach your ethernet cable to the loop and tape it with electrical tape and then lubricate at least the section that is attached to the guide with Vaseline (petroleum jelly). When you get stuck, back up a bit into the conduit and jerk the guide back and forth until the stuck part releases. This type guide is a bit more expensive bet well worth it.
I hope this makes sense to you.

Old Oct 2nd 2023, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately I have no experience of house cabling. Presumably though the cable is metal based.

When I change an internally routed cable on my push bike I use a very strong magnet and "pull" it through.

I fully realise this may be totally irrelevant to your situation but you never know.

NB. For people who don't know what I am talking about most high end push bikes now have internally routed cables.

Old Oct 3rd 2023, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

fergus is on a distinguished road

Thank you to everyone that took the time to reply. This simple job has really been a pitta. Not more than 6m run, upstairs to downstairs. Finally got the fish thing through, connected it to ethernet cable, a bit too 'yahoo I've done it' enthusiasm and fish rod and ethernet cable parted somewhere in the middle. So, started again and having time, instead of the initial 3 days to get the fish cable puller through it only took two days, the scond time. So, now, once again I have the fish cable rodder thing connected top to bottom.

I appreciated all the comments. I forgot I had vaseline (a big tub) but I was using fairy liquid anyway. I had to push to the bottlenecks, let it relax for 10 minutes, 20 minutes, an hour sometimes and then start again. There are 4 bottlenecks where (I am presuming as I can't see inside the conduit) that the cables are constricted in a tight grouping. So much so that, as suggestedby someone it is not possible to actually pull the existing coax cables through.

I remain hopeful that I will eventually be able to pull an ethernet cable through doing what should have been a 20 minute, simple job, soonish.
Old Oct 3rd 2023, 5:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Someone to fish cable through conduit

Are all three existing coax cables even needed/ still in use? If any of them are split, then both branches fed through the conduit, you should be able to remove one of the branches from the splitter, then add the split after the conduit.
Old Oct 3rd 2023, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Also, if you aren't using the ethernet cable to power a device (POE) why not use wifi instead?
Old Oct 4th 2023, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

1Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem where I could not get an ethernet cable to run through conduit containing 2 coax so I stripped the insulation and screen off the ethernet cable and ran just the wires and that did the trick. As it is just coax that it is running along with then it shouldn't cause any interference problems. Had absolutely zero problems with mine.
Old Oct 4th 2023, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Midgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond repute

silicon spray is good too spray loads of it in the top - less messy than vasaline
I just pulled through 30 m of ethernet cable
I presume you cut the plugs off the end of the ethernet cable if there were any?
I used Duct Tape to join the mouse line and cable end to end - one bit wrapped round at 90 to cable then a longer bit wrapped round parallel to cable
make sure someone is pushing at the entry end and another pulling at the other end - use synchronised movements you can communicate via phone video
and deep breaths
what do you need coax for, I thought that was obsolete?
I actually get faster via wifi - router ports only 100Mbs, and I get way more via 5G or even the other normal one

Last edited by Midgo; Oct 4th 2023 at 8:34 am.
Old Oct 6th 2023, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

If wifi isn't suitable try Powerline adapters? (assuming upstairs and downstairs are on the same phase)
Old Oct 7th 2023, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Midgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by appman999
If wifi isn't suitable try Powerline adapters? (assuming upstairs and downstairs are on the same phase)
I use these too.
Very good
Old Oct 7th 2023, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

fergus is on a distinguished road

I have used powerline adapters and found them to be unreliable, which is why I wanted a cabled solution.
Old Oct 7th 2023, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Their performance is affected by the state of the house wiring and the switchpanel.

It's unlikely that the two floors are on one circuit but there is probably one radial circuit per floor.

If you can put the adapters on the socket at the start of each circuit it may help?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.