Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Some advice on Fiscal Representation

Some advice on Fiscal Representation

Old Apr 11th 2011, 10:33 pm
UK and Tavira, Portugal

miacat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some advice on Fiscal Representation

When we completed on our apartment two years ago our solicitor set us up with a fiscal rep who we think is expensive for what he has to do - 300 euros a year to pay one bill. We are retired and spend some time in the UK and some in Portugal so we are non residents. I have spoken to a lot of others in the same position as us who just go and pay their own bills at the Camara so I did the same a few weeks ago and it was no problem. I then wrote to my fiscal rep asking him to arrange for bills to be sent directly to our Portuguese address. He said he could not do that, but he said when I had a new fiscal rep he would send all the details to him - basically he said I could not have my bills sent to my Portuguese home address as this was only allowed for residents. I know from my Camara that I can arrange change of address through them, but I suppose what I really want to know is whether there is likely to be any follow up if I choose not to have a fiscal rep - it seems so many don't bother. So far I have paid 600 euros to pay two bills - it is money for old rope, but do I have any choice? I tried another fiscal rep but he wants the same amount - seems pointless moving for the same amount. Reading some of the old threads it would seem I do not have a choice but to pay this which is almost more than the property tax on our small apartment. Any advice?
Old Apr 11th 2011, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Some advice on Fiscal Representation

As I understand it, the reason the cost is generally quite high is that the representative is liable for the tax bill if you default.

Non residents don't have any choice about having a fiscal representative as far as I am aware.

We did find a company charging less than 200 Euro called Tax Angels in Vilamoura.

Whether that was just an introductory offer I don't know. They advertised in
The Resident.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 7:35 am
UK and Tavira, Portugal

Originally Posted by Tonyj
As I understand it, the reason the cost is generally quite high is that the representative is liable for the tax bill if you default.

Non residents don't have any choice about having a fiscal representative as far as I am aware.

We did find a company charging less than 200 Euro called Tax Angels in Vilamoura.

Whether that was just an introductory offer I don't know. They advertised in
The Resident.
Hi - I have checked this company's website and it is indeed very cheap - just what we want to cover us as we literally have one bill to pay each year, no rental or tax issues as we don't rent out so we just need to be legal. But are u registered with this company and could you recommend them? Mods please don't see this as advertising!
Old Apr 12th 2011, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

deecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nice

Until recently I was using a company based in the Algarve called "Sovereign Group" who where asking for 260 Euros for their services this year. Like yourself, the only requirement I had was the twice yearly forwarding of our IMI tax bill to my Portugal address for payment. They provided an excellent service with advice by internet on tap as required and an occasional newsletter with updates on Portugals tax legislation. However I felt that the cost for the limited service the provided to me could not be justified, so I searched the internet for an alternative and came up with "Emerald Property Tax International" with offices in Lisbon, who agreed to be our Fiscal Representative for 150 Euros per year. So far so good, my contact there has been most helpful and the transfer seems to be going according to plan.
It still think its a lot to pay for what amounts to be a "go between" between the tax office and myself, but unless you find a resident of portugal who is prepared to take on the role and, to them, the risk of you not paying your tax bill, then it would appear you have no other option.
Good hunting
DeeCee.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Our property tax bill is sent to our post office box (apartado) by the Camara and we are non residents. Doesn't seem to be a problem to them and we pay when we are in PT during March or April. Our utility bills are direct debit based on meter readings.

Perhaps because we are not in an ex pats or tourist area like the Algarve, things are little different because there are not many non Portuguese. Our lawyer is local and as it's a small town, most of the inhabitants know each other, so the relationships between the offical offices, (Camara/Finanças), banks, businesses etc. is much closer.

Don't know if this is a good thing or not but so far after four years, things seem to work OK.

I see on Google however, that Tax Angels offer fiscal representation from €99 per year per couple, however, they require a five year agreement paid up front.

Link is - http://www.portugal-tax.com/Content....FQMlfAodt2PsCQ
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:52 pm
UK and Tavira, Portugal

Originally Posted by bejaboz
Our property tax bill is sent to our post office box (apartado) by the Camara and we are non residents. Doesn't seem to be a problem to them and we pay when we are in PT during March or April. Our utility bills are direct debit based on meter readings.

Perhaps because we are not in an ex pats or tourist area like the Algarve, things are little different because there are not many non Portuguese. Our lawyer is local and as it's a small town, most of the inhabitants know each other, so the relationships between the offical offices, (Camara/Finanças), banks, businesses etc. is much closer.

Don't know if this is a good thing or not but so far after four years, things seem to work OK.

I see on Google however, that Tax Angels offer fiscal representation from €99 per year per couple, however, they require a five year agreement paid up front.

Link is - http://www.portugal-tax.com/Content....FQMlfAodt2PsCQ
Question is whether it is legal or risky to do without? I had no trouble paying my bill at the Camara and I asked about re-arranging for the bill to come directly to my home address in Portugal and they said that was fine. At the time there was a big queue so they asked that I come back to do that. Have not done it so far as I wanted to be sure of our position. If I do without what is the possible come back? With the present rep we got absolutely zilch in the way of advice and support - like others everything is paid by DD - we received not an email or newsletter between annual charges for paying their cash and the property tax.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 4:51 pm
UK and Tavira, Portugal

Originally Posted by fixalgarve
<snip>
Sorry but I don't understand what you are saying here. I don't wish to change my lawyer who does not do the fiscal representation. That is done by another company who I do want to change. Surely I only need to email them to tell them I no longer need their services and then give them the name of the new company? I am paid up for this year anyway so there is nothing to do!
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

charlton1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

is it 300 euros each per year or for both of you.i pay 480 euros for me and my wife,which seemss to be the going rate.our fiscal rep is excellent.if you want me to put you in touch with him please Pm me.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

seejim is an unknown quantity at this point

what are the implications of becoming a resident
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:53 pm
Banned

Benny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to all

Originally Posted by seejim
what are the implications of becoming a resident
Its like being tattoed on the forehead "Foreigner, Easy Meat"
Old Apr 20th 2011, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Originally Posted by miacat
Question is whether it is legal or risky to do without? I had no trouble paying my bill at the Camara and I asked about re-arranging for the bill to come directly to my home address in Portugal and they said that was fine. At the time there was a big queue so they asked that I come back to do that. Have not done it so far as I wanted to be sure of our position. If I do without what is the possible come back? With the present rep we got absolutely zilch in the way of advice and support - like others everything is paid by DD - we received not an email or newsletter between annual charges for paying their cash and the property tax.
I asked my Property Management Company to go to the camara for me, ask for a 'segunda via' (replacement copy) of the IMI bill and then pay it for me. They charged me 29.50 for their time and petrol which is a lot cheaper than paying a fiscal rep for the same job !

The camara involved is Loule and my property managers are in Almancil. Happy to pass their info via PM
Old Apr 20th 2011, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

lennox is just really nicelennox is just really nicelennox is just really nicelennox is just really nicelennox is just really nicelennox is just really nicelennox is just really nicelennox is just really nice

Fully understand what you saying, but on the other hand my fiscal representative snen is clerk to oversee a problem at my villa which took 1.30 hrs and 10 miles fuel each way and charged nothing. Swings and roundabouts. My advice would be if you are not in pt full time then by law andbalso for peace of mind you need a good fiscal representative
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by lennox
Fully understand what you saying, but on the other hand my fiscal representative snen is clerk to oversee a problem at my villa which took 1.30 hrs and 10 miles fuel each way and charged nothing. Swings and roundabouts. My advice would be if you are not in pt full time then by law andbalso for peace of mind you need a good fiscal representative
There's the nub of it, finding a good one in the area you live who also charges realistic rates.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 5:54 pm
UK and Tavira, Portugal

Originally Posted by bejaboz
There's the nub of it, finding a good one in the area you live who also charges realistic rates.
My rep does nothing other than pay the bill which I paid myself this year anyway. If I thought he would sort out the problems with our apartment with the builder it might be worth it but the company has never said they would get involved with any of that sort of thing. They focus on tax only as far as I know. Perhaps I should put that to them? See what sort of response I get.