Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Solar panel leak.

Solar panel leak.

Old Dec 14th 2023, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Solar panel leak.

Following my previous post regarding a leak in my solar water heating system (a sealed pumped system not thermosyphonic) I have had the system overrhauled and a leak was found together with a couple of components needing replacement.

However I an still losing pressure albeit slowly, about 1 psi per day.

There is no sign of the leak although a bit of the pipework is in a sealed part of the loft.

Does anyone have experience in using a leak sealant (such as Radweld for cars) to seal a solar hot water system.

The company I used for the overhaul don't and feel it may lead to blockages but have no other suggestions.
Old Dec 14th 2023, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solar panel leak.

Car radiator leak sealer needs a lot of heat to work; unless the leak is on the hottest part of your system, I don't think it will do the job.

Personally I wouldn't use it, but then I don't even use it on cars.

Gums things up.

I would advise to pressurize the system to the max, and then go over each and every joint carefully until you find the problem. Use a bright torch and an inspection mirror where necessary.
Old Dec 14th 2023, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

There are also dyes which you can add to the water to help trace the leak.
Old Dec 17th 2023, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

I had a slow leak from the pressure relief valve that was probably slower than your leak (so slow it was hard to spot the water drops). Cleaning out some rust flakes seemed to cure it though I also tried a small bottle of K-Seal which didn't seem to cause any problems.
Old Dec 17th 2023, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, I'll give it a look.