British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Solar oanel registration (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/solar-oanel-registration-941778/)

Tonyj Nov 30th 2021 3:26 pm

Solar oanel registration

Has anybody successfully registered their solar panels with EDP? I am being quoted a large amount of money by our supplier to do it. Has anyone managed to do it themselves and if so, what was the cost?

Score76 Nov 30th 2021 5:58 pm

Re: Solar oanel registration

Are you wanting to be paid for what you generate or just register that you have them? What size system do you have?

Tonyj Nov 30th 2021 6:02 pm

Hi. No, I understand there is no feed-in benefit; just looking to register so EDP does not charge us for the power we do not use, which I understand is the case if you do not register. We have 11 panels generating a maximum of about 3.8kw. Got it so we can heat the pool as efficiently as possible with the heat pump.

Score76 Nov 30th 2021 6:30 pm

You don't need to register at that size for self consumption. Whilst you won't receive anything for the electricity you export, you won't be charged for it.

Tonyj Nov 30th 2021 6:32 pm

That's reassuring. I was told by the supplier we would be charged and we had to register over 3.5kw.

Score76 Nov 30th 2021 7:08 pm

You're obliged to register over 4.5kw but even without registering you're still not charged, the meter doesn't count electricity going to the grid only coming from it. Registering is just a form submission, it can help EDP managed the infrastructure and to be aware of where there's generation for those occasions they have engineers working on power cuts and they believe the grid is turned off. All modern (non hybrid) inverters require the presence of a mains voltage before they in turn will start converting the dc power from the panels into the ac power in your house. Your supplier is just trying to charge you a few hundred euros to fill out a form.

Tonyj Nov 30th 2021 7:10 pm

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.

1Steve Dec 2nd 2021 7:04 pm

I don't know much about how solar works regarding exporting excess kW to the grid but I read an article that in the USA that when you export excess power to the grid, it is recorded, and when you need power when the sun is gone, you can use up the same amount you exported with no cost. So you would be effectively be using the grid as a battery to store your power. Pretty good idea if that is article true and how nice it would be if EDP were to offer that service.

dingg Dec 2nd 2021 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by 1Steve (Post 13077971)
I don't know much about how solar works regarding exporting excess kW to the grid but I read an article that in the USA that when you export excess power to the grid, it is recorded, and when you need power when the sun is gone, you can use up the same amount you exported with no cost. So you would be effectively be using the grid as a battery to store your power. Pretty good idea if that is article true and how nice it would be if EDP were to offer that service.

😂😂😂
Edp just take it for free

BlackBeardie Dec 11th 2021 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Score76 (Post 13077272)
You're obliged to register over 4.5kw but even without registering you're still not charged, the meter doesn't count electricity going to the grid only coming from it. Registering is just a form submission, it can help EDP managed the infrastructure and to be aware of where there's generation for those occasions they have engineers working on power cuts and they believe the grid is turned off. All modern (non hybrid) inverters require the presence of a mains voltage before they in turn will start converting the dc power from the panels into the ac power in your house. Your supplier is just trying to charge you a few hundred euros to fill out a form.

Score76 Thanks for this info. Please could you post the link regarding the need to register 4.5+ kW arrays. Back in 2014 it's a maximum of a 1.5kW array for self consumption. And that's a good point you made regarding the grid-tie inverters functioning only when mains (via the grid) power is available. People tend to over look the costs that EDP incurs in managing power surges from grid-tie arrays. There is a cost to store and regulate the excess solar PV energy.

Alan PT Dec 12th 2021 10:07 am

Originally Posted by BlackBeardie (Post 13080527)
Score76 Thanks for this info. Please could you post the link regarding the need to register 4.5+ kW arrays. Back in 2014 it's a maximum of a 1.5kW array for self consumption. And that's a good point you made regarding the grid-tie inverters functioning only when mains (via the grid) power is available. People tend to over look the costs that EDP incurs in managing power surges from grid-tie arrays. There is a cost to store and regulate the excess solar PV energy.

It was updated to lift the limits considerably (also I believe now based on the inverter capacity, rather than the much higher "ideal conditions" solar panel capacity, though I don't have that link to hand). All the info is here:
https://www.dgeg.gov.pt/pt/areas-set...umo-e-cer/faq/

Most relevant points (Google) translated:

Article 3
exercise conditions
1 — The UPAC with an installed power equal to or less than 350 W is not subject to control
prior.
2 — The UPAC with an installed power greater than 350 W and equal to or less than 30 kW is subject to
the mere prior communication

Article 16
Counting and making data available
1 - It is mandatory to count the total electrical energy produced by UPAC:
a) In the case of collective self-consumption;
b) In the case of individual self-consumption, when the UI associated with the UPAC is linked to the
RESP and the installed power is greater than 4 kW;

BlackBeardie Dec 13th 2021 8:13 am

Alan PT Hi Alan, thanks for the informative reply. From what you wrote I have inferred that EDP or whoever maintains the grid would like an informal communication from the micro generators of 350W - 3.5kW which makes sense. As mentioned (I think by yourself) in an earlier post the Grid people would like to know what additional current (hence power) could potentially be supplied to the grid by third parties not part of the registered generators group. I don't have grid tie at the moment but I will keep this in mind.

Bob Woody Jun 7th 2022 3:46 pm

Just been told by the guy I've asked to install my 4Kw PV system that the 3 phase invertor & the 6Kw battery are not on the list of approved equipment.
I bought the equipment from the UK before Brexit & it's all fully approved for everywhere including the EU - how can it be type approved yet not on the list.
Anyone know where I can check that the kit I have bought is OK to be installed Portugal.
Thanks gang
Bob

Score76 Jun 7th 2022 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bob Woody (Post 13120496)
Just been told by the guy I've asked to install my 4Kw PV system that the 3 phase invertor & the 6Kw battery are not on the list of approved equipment.
I bought the equipment from the UK before Brexit & it's all fully approved for everywhere including the EU - how can it be type approved yet not on the list.
Anyone know where I can check that the kit I have bought is OK to be installed Portugal.
Thanks gang
Bob

What's the inverter Bob? As long as its capable of having a Portuguese profile configured you should be fine. You don't need to register it anyway.

Bob Woody Jun 7th 2022 7:25 pm

Thanks for getting back to me - it's a Solax X3-Hybrid-5.0T.
I just checked the details on Google & it came back with Solax PT & my invertor on their website.