Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

So How Cold Is Cold?

So How Cold Is Cold?

Old Jan 1st 2021, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute
Default So How Cold Is Cold?

I've been looking at the daily temperatures in Lagos and comparing them with what we are getting here in HK and can see that the Lagos daytime and nighttime temps are a few degrees lower than here. This morning it was 6C when I got up but it's a sunny day so the high will be 15C after lunch. The high is shorts weather for me but the morning dog walk was done in sweat pants and thick jacket as it was a bit thin, particularly in the shade of the trees in the country park. It's not very windy, either. According to the forecast it will be 3C on Tuesday in Lagos but with a high of 12C, so hopefully still warm enough for shorts. I'm now wondering just how windy it is down there and whether that's adding to the overall temperature and making it feel much colder than in locations under the wind. For me I'm not too bothered as it won't snow but Mrs C absolutely hates cold weather (even what we are getting here now) and so may not be as happy with the Algarve as an environment to live in, certainly in the winter. The nights were getting cold when I left in November and I can see that winter goes on longer there than it does here, even though we never pack away the warm clothes until Easter has been and gone. So does everyone sleep late and eat a late breakfast then go out when the sun's well up or do you just dress according and go out and get on with it?
Old Jan 1st 2021, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So How Cold Is Cold?

You just adapt to your surroundings wherever you are I suppose.

I have wintered in the Algarve and can get out on my bike relatively free of lots of layers, today in the UK when I go for my bike ride it will be four pair of socks, two pair of gloves and a full balaclava under my helmet.

You just get used to whatever the weather throws at you. I think I would prefer an Algarve winter to a UK one but having never been to HK couldn't make a comparison.

I think as many people say, gets cold at night but you can get some nice, relatively warm days.

​​​​​​
Old Jan 1st 2021, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It is all relative ! Chatting to a pal in Moscow, she said "It is quite mild here today. Minus 7 !"
Old Jan 1st 2021, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
It is all relative ! Chatting to a pal in Moscow, she said "It is quite mild here today. Minus 7 !"
Yes, went to a football match in Moscow some years back in November, never been so cold in my life!

Old Jan 1st 2021, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

When we first moved to the Algarve, I was wearing flip-flops all year.

Having been here 15 years, I'm wearing socks, t-shirt, fleece.....

And that's inside
Old Jan 1st 2021, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, one must remember that Portugal is NOT a Mediterranean country. Its entire seaboard, including the #Algarve faces the #Atlantic. This is why places like Nazaré, Ericeira and, further south, Praias D'Amada, Arrifana and Castelejo are such havens for surfers.

The western Algarve region, in which Lagos lies, is known as the "Barlavento Algarvio".

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barlavento_Algarvio

The word "Barlavento" signifies "from where the wind blows".

https://www.infopedia.pt/dicionarios...esa/barlavento

I lived in Lagos, just in front of Meia Praia Beach, for 15 years.

Although I biked there in winter, I can honestly say, that it was more than a bit parky at times, especially early in the morning..

Winds do get up quiet regularly.

The difference with "Honkers" is that, except when there are "typhoons", local weather is influenced by the moderating effect of the local urban influenced micro-climate.

Lagos generally has a great clean environment, except in high summer when the hordes arrived.

However, it can be "bracing" all day in winter.

Old Jan 1st 2021, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: So How Cold Is Cold?

Aahhh...... it's not the weather outside you need to bother about, it's the weather inside.!!!! When the sun is absent the temps inside are flipping chilly to say the least. Our heating has decided not to work and the fire just smokes us out.(clean flue, just badly made) Oiled radiator last night and small fan heater 2 socks ,bobble hat,4 layers on top .Candles burning everywhere. PT houses are not made for winter.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

And this morning's weather forecast ....

https://alentejo.sulinformacao.pt/20...-e-no-algarve/
Old Jan 1st 2021, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Am I right in thinking that the winters in the Algarve are warmer than anywhere else in Portugal?
Old Jan 1st 2021, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Normally, I'd say yes. But speaking to a friend down there this morning, we're warmer. We have frost, they don't.

It's 38C in the sun at the front of the house, but only 12C at the back, in the shade.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Pretty much but the Sotavento area is generally the warmest part of the Algarve.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

I have difficulty believing that.

The Portuguese Met Office is showing an average high of 14ºC today.

Instituto Português do Mar e da Atmosfera

Behind glass & in the sun, temperatures do rise BUT I can't imagine them reaching 38ºC. 28ºC at a pinch!!
Old Jan 1st 2021, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd take 10 degrees right now. It was so cold yesterday that the ground was rock hard all day, rutted where people had walked on the river bank in the mud, then frozen. I couldn't run, it was too dangerous. It's a little bit warmer today, but still rock hard in places but with wet mud, so still a bit dangerous. I'm going to get my treadmill out in the garage, I might need it for the next 10 weeks or so.
Three weeks ago I ran on the beach in shorts on the Praia de Roche beach. Sigh.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ouriquejan
Normally, I'd say yes. But speaking to a friend down there this morning, we're warmer. We have frost, they don't.

It's 38C in the sun at the front of the house, but only 12C at the back, in the shade.
You should never talk about temperatures measured by a thermometer in the sun. It is meaningless. Temperatures are always measured (and quoted by forecasters) in the shade.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am aware of that BB, was just talking generally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.