Snakes

Old Mar 21st 2007, 10:07 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Snakes

Hi Crispy
No news yet,Im hoping that towards Easter we should get a few "viewers" as its usually busy then with people looking to buy.
The problem we have is that there are probably around 50 villas for sale here.
Most are brand new,and thats what the brits seem to want,they dont see the advantage of having the garden already done,fencing etc.they also dont realise the costs involved,it aint cheap to landscape a garden,and you get nothing but sand here when you buy a newbuild.
Like you,I believe in fate,so it will happen when the time is right,its just very frustrating when you have made the decision and then have to wait to sell grrrr.
Never mind Im off to a BBq at lunch so that will cheer me up (Its not all bad )
Cx
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:10 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
Hi Crispy
No news yet,Im hoping that towards Easter we should get a few "viewers" as its usually busy then with people looking to buy.
The problem we have is that there are probably around 50 villas for sale here.
Most are brand new,and thats what the brits seem to want,they dont see the advantage of having the garden already done,fencing etc.they also dont realise the costs involved,it aint cheap to landscape a garden,and you get nothing but sand here when you buy a newbuild.
Like you,I believe in fate,so it will happen when the time is right,its just very frustrating when you have made the decision and then have to wait to sell grrrr.
Never mind Im off to a BBq at lunch so that will cheer me up (Its not all bad )
Cx

I know what you mean about the garden, this house was three years old when we bought it the young Spanish couple that lived here had full time jobs and a young family so they had done nothing to the garden. We used it as a holiday home for 2 1/2 years so there was no point planting as we did not have a watering system and everything would have just died. Once we moved here in Sept 2005 we had the garden landscaped ASAP; the garden is very small as most of our land is taken up with being a drive to the house but it cost as 1500 euros to have five fruit tress, flowering evergreen bushes up the drive and 9 other plants planted around the outside wall. Oh and a lawn that measures about 15ft square. On top of that we paid another 6000 euros to have the drive converted which was a dirt track in the summer and a mud pie in the winter into a very welcoming block effect driveway. PLUS 8000 euros for the paving around the house and not to mention the cost of having the pool installed!

So for you peeps out there thinking of buying I would say a well establish property is so much easier to go with especially if you are thinking holiday home as most gardens will have the timed watering system already installed if not they are easy to add. Just think of the money you will save in the long run.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Torgut is an unknown quantity at this point

Returning to the topic here, I would mention that there are no dangerous snakes in portuguese territory. Ok, probably there are a few vipers but their habitat is really limited by now, only to be found in very, very, very remote areas of north Portugal.

I don't recall the story of the 90 yo man who died due to the action of a snake. But I can recall a long list of stuff which will kill a 90 yo person.

As to Algarve, I would point the "spanish scorpion" as the most dangerous animal. Snakes are common but they will avoid humans and are completely inofensive, although some of them are of good proportions.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Torgut
Returning to the topic here, I would mention that there are no dangerous snakes in portuguese territory. Ok, probably there are a few vipers but their habitat is really limited by now, only to be found in very, very, very remote areas of north Portugal.

I don't recall the story of the 90 yo man who died due to the action of a snake. But I can recall a long list of stuff which will kill a 90 yo person.

As to Algarve, I would point the "spanish scorpion" as the most dangerous animal. Snakes are common but they will avoid humans and are completely inofensive, although some of them are of good proportions.
Spanish scorpion? Just how big is this scorpion??
Old Apr 12th 2007, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Torgut is an unknown quantity at this point

Those I personally spoted were around 7 to 10 cm long. Details here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/...193index.shtml
Old Apr 12th 2007, 8:29 pm
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Spanish scorpion? Just how big is this scorpion??
5'10" with a Barcelona scarf!
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

maverick1 is a jewel in the roughmaverick1 is a jewel in the roughmaverick1 is a jewel in the roughmaverick1 is a jewel in the roughmaverick1 is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Snakes

yes big long green snakes in my garden last week , they made me squeem a bit when i saw them ,one was about two foot the other about 4 foot. they both slid away in to the dry stone wall when they spotted me. i also have spotted a big brown rat which thanfully was about a half mile from the house, also a brown owl on our tree , wild quaill with its chicks walking early morning across our garden
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maverick1
yes big long green snakes in my garden last week , they made me squeem a bit when i saw them ,one was about two foot the other about 4 foot. they both slid away in to the dry stone wall when they spotted me. i also have spotted a big brown rat which thanfully was about a half mile from the house, also a brown owl on our tree , wild quaill with its chicks walking early morning across our garden
Sorry mate, but I deleted your other two posts as there is a no advertising policy on this forum. rule 8 SITE RULES
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

maverick1 is a jewel in the roughmaverick1 is a jewel in the roughmaverick1 is a jewel in the roughmaverick1 is a jewel in the roughmaverick1 is a jewel in the rough

oops i didnt know i couldnt say about my work sorry