Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Snack bar O Caseiro Tavira

Old Sep 4th 2019, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

morro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Snack bar O Caseiro Tavira

O Caseiro Tavira

I had a beer in this bar yesterday for the first time. It was full of workers all enjoying Jardineira do Frango. There was no menu or price list! I have looked at tripadvisor but most are talking about another Casaro or T Caseiro! Does anyone know about this bar prices menus etc.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snack bar O Caseiro Tavira

Originally Posted by morro
wendell m
Tavira, Portugal
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
4 Sep 2019, 15:36
I had a beer in this bar yesterday for the first time. It was full of workers all enjoying Jardineira do Frango. There was no menu or price list! I have looked at tripadvisor but most are talking about another Casaro or T Caseiro! Does anyone know about this bar prices menus etc.
As with other places around Tavira, in our experience, in this case O Caseiro (Chico's) has been listed on Tripadvisor as being in Cabanas (we have seen Santa Luzia places lost in the Tavira Tripadvisor listings). If you look around inside, you should expect to see at least generic prices posted somewhere - in accordance with the law. However, on its Facebook listing, the Prato do dia plus a drink, dessert and coffee is 7 euros.

We have found that around Tavira, locals joints don't typically post daily menus - locals know there will be variations on chicken and pork dishes and the occasional wild boar and duck rice, every day plus something from cuttlefish, fresh tuna, bream (golden or black) and carapau or similar fish, oh and skate. Fresh sardines only in season. Heaven!

I have to say that we were a bit intimidated the first time we ventured into a busy locals eatery for fear that we wouldn't be able to get past the fixed (unprinted) menu descriptions and language barrier - there was no way that price was going to be a problem when downtown Tavira eateries charge 6-7 euros for a main course - but we are 'good' now and very glad we were so "bold", ha ha!

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Sep 6th 2019 at 6:56 am.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

I am wondering if it is xicos the op is referring to Pistolpete as he had a sign up closed to September 12.

Old Sep 9th 2019, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
I am wondering if it is xicos the op is referring to Pistolpete as he had a sign up closed to September 12.
Ah! ok I see the confusion - two O Caseiros on same street - one the well known Xicos on the hill heading down to Bishop's Square (#14)(listed on Tripadvisor as simply Caseiro) and one south-east of Porto Nova station - named as Snack Bar O Caseiro (#70) and not reviewed on Tripadvisor since 2016 (when it was called Xicos so it probably was actually #14 which was being reviewed).

So this confused posters on Tripadvisor regarding #70 (and therefore me) on top of the fact that it is listed under Cabanas. Other than that - clear as day!

Then we have O Chico in Santa Luzia!

I have seen mention on here of Xicos a couple of years back but not since and we have friends who recommend it. At least I know what it is listed on Tripadvisor under now - for contact purposes.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Sep 9th 2019 at 10:20 am.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Walked past tonight Pete, now saying on the door closed until Jan 2020!!

Bit of a bummer really as one of the best scrans in Tavira.
Old Sep 13th 2019, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chislenko
Walked past tonight Pete, now saying on the door closed until Jan 2020!!

Bit of a bummer really as one of the best scrans in Tavira.
Oh well! Looks like we'll miss out as we are only in Tavira area for three months to 28th Dec. Will have to stick with tried and tested down the hill and in Santa Luzia. However, there are snack bars on the "to do" list for this time around in spite of the "life is too short to risk a poor meal in Tavira" general methodology. Per the OP, will be looking for interesting chicken dishes this time around incl polarda and galinha.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Sep 13th 2019 at 6:53 am.
Old Sep 13th 2019, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

1711JohnB is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried Luis Prego just off the 270 road to St Catarina. Its approx 1 mile towards St C on the right hand side. Do a fantastic liver and onions for Euro 5.50 (if you like that sort of food) very comprehensive menu on blackboards inside both in English and Portuguese. Outside seating area as well.

JohnB
Old Sep 13th 2019, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1711JohnB
Have you tried Luis Prego just off the 270 road to St Catarina. Its approx 1 mile towards St C on the right hand side. Do a fantastic liver and onions for Euro 5.50 (if you like that sort of food) very comprehensive menu on blackboards inside both in English and Portuguese. Outside seating area as well.

JohnB
Have cycled past it a few times John but as yet have never been there, other people we know have recommended the place so will give it a go this trip. Guess that will be me as the designated driver!!! (Mrs. Chislenko won't drive here!!)

Old Sep 13th 2019, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again all

We are going out on the 27th of October for a couple of months perhaps a few of us could meet up for lunch one day. Could I suggest Thursday the 31st of October at 12:45 ish. Rolled up Portugal News under one arm and red carnation in your lapel. As Tavira is only a small place, I bet that we recognise at least someone who has visited Dave's bar or the Black Anchor.

John and Sue
Old Oct 11th 2019, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

I think I know the one you mean . Is it opposite wood yard in Porta Nova run by a small lady wearing an overall . O Caseiro.
Been trying to find out about the food for years maybe should just go in and sit down and be served.
They have a Facebook page
Old Oct 11th 2019, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

It is on the left hand side of the road of going down from Porta Nova to Bishops Square and its opposite the music school. The sign says XICO.

John
Old Oct 11th 2019, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

Xico is a restaurant not a bar and if it is open the menu is on the wall outside by the door. Prices are reasonable but not as cheap as they used to be. They have a Facebook page too.