Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Smarty Mobile Sim

Smarty Mobile Sim

Old Sep 26th 2023, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Smarty Mobile Sim

Now these people are on the ball.
While back in UK for july and august, I bought and used a Smarty mobile sim on 30 day renewal (uses 3 network in UK) .
I returned to Portugal mid september, so 2 weeks ago, and have used it on roaming here in PT on the odd occasion, to call back to UK.
Today, they `paused` the sim so cannot use it, despite having made an auto top up for another month just last week
Just been given a grillling over chat using my PT mobile data (cant access the Smarty Sim) saying that I have used it too much !!!!
SO that is a few phone calls and about 1gb data used in PT.
Now they are deciding if to un pause it or not, and will advise me by email.
So beware anyone using Smarty Sim
Old Sep 27th 2023, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

GrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smarty Mobile Sim

Before we came out in June, I changed to Virgin, still working. They will be switching all accounts over to O2 on 1st October but same roaming terms will apply.
Old Sep 27th 2023, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

That doesnt sound right. T&C 5.17d clearly say:

If you’re travelling in the EU:
(i) you will be subject to our data fair use limit of 12GB each month.
(ii) you will receive a notification when you reach 80% of your 12GB limit and once it’s reached. If you need more
EU data you can purchase an appropriate Add-on. Details of the different types of Add-ons are available
from time to time are set out in the Price Guide or on your dashboard.
(iii) you are able to use Our services for a maximum of 60 continuous days, after which we will Suspend
your Services in line with clause 8.1 i) below.

If we have identified that you have used Our services outside of the UK for a continuous period of 60 days or longer in a
rolling 12-month period
Old Sep 27th 2023, 3:34 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

In case it is of assistance : I have been using my Smarty sim since 22 August. No probs so far.
Albeit I do not make that many voice calls - maybe half a dozen a week.
Prefer textos, especially within Portugal.

As I know about the data restriction when outside the UK, I rely for data ( thus Netflix, Filmon and so on ) on No'S Kanguru, which is data only, for 30 something Euros a month.
Old Sep 28th 2023, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Still no reply from Smarty, the chat person said she was raising my account for `investigation` !!! ??? WTF that means.
It is really inconsiderate of them as you cannot access your account without a Login passcode which is sent either by text (to that phone number) or by email.
Very handy if the only sim you have is a Smarty one, as you need to be connected to the internet, which you can`t be. SO were this to happen to others (on holiday for example) they would need to be using someones wifi......brilliant.

I returned to PT on 12th September. I have used 1gb of data and yes I have made a few calls (one was an hour long to a Portuguese number), and a couple of short 5 mins calls to UK.
But as you say the terms are clear and I have not exceeded those. None of these calls were business (which I was accused of) Erm....how would they even know that (are they recording all calls)
Needless to say I have turned off auto renewal of the unlimited calls and 100GB data SIM.for £12/mth
Like others obv as I live in PT most of the time I have my own internet mobile with MEO, but a UK sim to call UK is worth it just for a phone call as well as being live when I return to UK (Sim will stay active for 6 months without topping it up)

I changed to Smarty from Superdrug (all use 3 network in UK), as indeed they had allowed me to use the sim for months and months, but finally it was cut off earlier this year, which I expected, hence changing to Smarty.

Answer might be in future to get 6 sims (all free) and activate them from Portugal on cheapest tariff (£5/mth for unlimited phone and texts) run for 2 months and then bin it and start again.
Old Sep 28th 2023, 11:30 am
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

Both OH and I have been with Smarty for a few years now. 3GB used as primary data SIM when away from wifi. No problems as at, great service, better reception than any native SIM (it roams between Meo and NOS), cheap as chips (have you seen the price of chips these days!), and helpful on chat.
Old Sep 29th 2023, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Score76
Both OH and I have been with Smarty for a few years now. 3GB used as primary data SIM when away from wifi. No problems as at, great service, better reception than any native SIM (it roams between Meo and NOS), cheap as chips (have you seen the price of chips these days!), and helpful on chat.
Contracts started before Brexit end date were supposed to be honoured, possibly the reason yours still works.
I had same with superdrug (same deals as Smarty) taken out before Brexit end date, that did work for couple years but then they stopped that. Only ever used these sims cause whe in portugal you can phone anywhere in Europe within the unlimited phone calls (odd tho that you cant phone th EU when you are in UK).

After chat asking what had happened to my sim, they started it up again yesterday, but i have cancelled auto renew and will leave it til i go back to UK
Old Sep 29th 2023, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

ARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
Contracts started before Brexit end date were supposed to be honoured, possibly the reason yours still works.
I had same with superdrug (same deals as Smarty) taken out before Brexit end date, that did work for couple years but then they stopped that. Only ever used these sims cause whe in portugal you can phone anywhere in Europe within the unlimited phone calls (odd tho that you cant phone th EU when you are in UK).

After chat asking what had happened to my sim, they started it up again yesterday, but i have cancelled auto renew and will leave it til i go back to UK
Are you sure? My understanding of how roaming works is this only applies when calling to a number within the EU member state that the device is connected to and also calling to a number in the SIM’s home country.

So, if one travels over the border to Spain (and the SIM connected to a Spanish network), calls to a Spanish number can be made from the call bundle but not a call to Portugal which would be charged as an international call. Likewise a PT SIM roaming in the UK can call a UK number and also back to PT.
Old Sep 29th 2023, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Just had perfect call from PT to a french mobile in France using smarty sim, so this works just like my old superdrug one did (UK 3 network).
Only talked for 5 mins in case I get accused of running a business over here again..
Old Sep 30th 2023, 1:37 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

I have called Portugal on my Smarty sim from UK ( and Portugal ) without issue.
Old Nov 8th 2023, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

I’ve been using smarty with no problems for more than a year. I think there’s a one off extra payment you make and maybe some settings to change
Old Nov 9th 2023, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Campanula
I’ve been using smarty with no problems for more than a year. I think there’s a one off extra payment you make and maybe some settings to change
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, it is my understanding that if you had a contract with any UK provider taken out before Brexit deadline, then they were obliged to continue giving full access when in the EU. Maybe you have had that sim or a contract with same company since before 30Dec 2020.
In reality when a UK sim is in the EU and includes data, it is usually limited when in the EU, in the case of Smarty that is either the amount you have in the contract per month or 12GB if you have more than that in your contract. Th reason is pretty clear. The wholesale cost to the networks for a GB of data in the EU is around €2.00 in 2023. I assume that any UK provider has to buy data from the EU network provider at a cost higher than that post Brexit. Hence the cap of 12gigabyte regardless of contracted data. I have now changed my Smarty contract to £5.00 a month (rolling contract) which gives unlimited phone/texts but only 5gb of data. I assume this would give Smart less exposure if I used it all each month. But just keep any use to a minimum to try to save getting cut off again as was the case with Superdrug after using it for over 18 months without issue.
Old Jan 15th 2024, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not used my Smarty sim for a while whilst in PT.
But in essence bought it mid last year while in UK.
Came back to PT in September.
Used it a bit in first 60 days, no problems.
Aware they could simply switch it off, I stopped auto renew. (doesnt stop them turning it off but when that happens you cannot access Login to turn off Auto renew and they will take money even though you may have just paid for another month!!
So havent used for a while as I intend to go back to UK with next few weeks.
But today used the phone for phone call a PT landline, as it happens it was an answerphone, so pretty short call.
30 secs later received text from Smarty saying.....Oops It looks like this service plan is not included in your plan. You need an add on.
SO wont be using it all again til i go back and use it in UK.
Question is Will that reset the 60 days out of UK?
Old Jan 15th 2024, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

I bought the one off data roaming add on and have been abroad a lot with no problems. My worst problem is in uk in my house the internet is very slow. I think you have to read all the t&c to understand how it works on their website or app
Old Jan 17th 2024, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Campanula
I bought the one off data roaming add on and have been abroad a lot with no problems. My worst problem is in uk in my house the internet is very slow. I think you have to read all the t&c to understand how it works on their website or app
I fully appreciate what you say but this is the actual webpage talking about EU roaming.
How do they get away with these false claims in the first sentence, onlyh to contradict themselves in the second
Then do it again in the third sentence......you couldn`t make it up, but seems they can

Travelling in the EU

Use your SMARTY plan

• If your plan includes calls and texts, they work just like home. They’re unlimited with no extra fees.
  • Subject to our fair use limit, you can use up to 12GB of data each month out of your monthly allowance. If you need more data, you can buy a data add-on.
  • No hidden charges. No extra costs.
  • Please see our Price Guide for more information on our Fair Use Policy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.