Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Set up a English barbers

Set up a English barbers

Old Jun 3rd 2013, 3:06 am
Just Joined

Rach1e is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Set up a English barbers

We are looking to move to Portugal, Algarve we would like to set up an English barbers as couldn't see any when we went, we were thinking of either Albuferia for the show or Vilamoura!

Any business advice gratefully received for setting up over there? Our other idea was a fish and chip takeaway?

We would also want to look at long term rent hard to find agents that don't just offer holiday rental?
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 6:33 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Set up a English barbers

Why do you think that there would be any demand for an " English " barbers, have you done any reserach ? There coud be a reason why you did not see any, not enough business to make it viable.
A food takeaway would involve you in a multitude of rules and regulations and remember that you would still need to make a living for outside of the holidays season which is only 5 months year max.
Many agents now offer long term rentals I would keep emailing.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 7:01 am
Banned

Benny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to all

I wondered what is the difference between an "English barber" and a Portuguese barber. My Portuguese barber charges me 5.50€ for a haircut that cost me £12 in the UK.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

Hi Rach1e,
the good news - you've chosen the right places to consider opening your business.
But forget the fish and chip idea - you'd have to be so lucky to make any kind of go of it - in Tourist areas you can get eith fish 'n'chips English style or some of the best fish in the world Portuguese style all over the place.
A real English Barber - classy, wash , shave , brush up - at the very expensive end of the market might just make it in Villamoura, so long as you get the right location - apart from that there are mostly empty hairdressers all over the Algarve charging much lower than English rates.
Most people get the idea of having a business here wrong by not understanding the logistics -
The Algarve is Small around 450, 000 full time people in total , lots of tourists in July/August 1,000,000+ and a smattering the rest of the year.
Why would a tourist want a haircut ?
so that leaves you 450,000 possible customers - not really very few Portuguese will go to you - so thats -85%
Call it 50,000 possible in the whole Algarve.
Bad news most people wouldn't travel further than 20minutes for a haircut.
So you're left with Villamoura and Albufueira with lots of hairdressers in situe and around 5000 potential customers (15% of the permanent population)/ 2 half are women 2500
Its tough in most foreign countries to open a business, but the simple fact that they're isn't a big enough local population kills most business ideas in Portugal as it did in rural France and Rural Spain when i lived there
Best of luck
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

Benny mine charges a tenner - no wonder you've always got that hat on
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 9:41 am
Banned

Benny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steve01
Benny mine charges a tenner - no wonder you've always got that hat on
Perhaps you have a bigger head
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply very valid and informative. I was of the understanding that the Algarve had arpund 6 million visitors in the summer months, although we have just returned and were quite shocked at how quiet it was compared to previous years! Like u say lots of shops closed!! We would love to make it our home but have to find something that will work to earn a living. Do you know if watetsports are allowed?
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

yes, but again most busy beaches will already have them on offer - its very seasonal and the Atlantic sometimes doesn't want to play.
Really sorry - its a great place to live , but a tough place to make a living.

If you really want to try it here, save enough money to cover yourself for 6 months plus.
Rent cheap - and take whatever work you can get - internet sales, timeshare sales , bar work, last week someone wanted ticket touts for sailing trips, fun summer time job - then look around and see if you can make a living for yourself

Last edited by steve01; Jun 3rd 2013 at 10:25 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

Personally, I disagree with some of the negativity on here - I know two English hairdressers in the East Algarve and both do very well. Many people are nervous about going to a Portuguese hairdresser until they're more proficient in the language - especially ladies with highlights etc.

I'm usually the first to jump in with a negative comment re. setting up in business here but this is something I think can work if you find a client base.

B
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Aaah thank you for your response that's exactly why we thought it might work!! We struggled to find barbers I see hairdressers and beauty salons have closed! We really wud like to make a go of it any advise or leads welcome
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

You wouldn't happen to know the names of the barbers would you?
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

I do, but I won't be putting their names or details on a public forum, sorry :-)
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

daisyman1951 will become famous soon enough

Are you going to give discounts to near baldies
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

its the wax and polish that costs the money
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't think anyone here has been negative - certainly i tried to be constructive.
I'm sure there are people from all over Europe who come here , work hard and make a sucess - but easy it isn't.
newintavira isn't talking about barbers, just a couple of people, probably doing home hairdressing whose idea of making a living might well not equate to yours - BARBERS don't do highlights etc - different profession entirely..
The reason you don't see many barbers here is that simply it isn't part of the Portuguese culture and there aren't enough ex-pats in most areas to support it.
Plus and this is big - ITS PORTUGAL - can you speak fluent Portuguese, if not how will you talk to most of your clients.
Its tough to set up a business legitimately here, tons of paperwork all in a foreign language - high taxes and social payments to make (some payable even if you operate at a loss) - unless you have the funds to purchase a business/ premises - most landlords here have very long-term expectations - at least a 2 year lease and very much written in their favour.
Personally i stand by every piece of 'negative' advice given

However if you do come out you're welcome to cut my hair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.