Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

septic tank systems

septic tank systems

Old Feb 28th 2022, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: septic tank systems

Originally Posted by macliam
A fossa is a cesspit..... not designed to do the same as a septic tank - but in this case not just a hole in the ground either.
In this context my intention was to mean (lined) storage tank(s) without an intentional outlet rather than a system that 'digests' the waste, with clean water continuously draining away.
Old Feb 28th 2022, 5:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoff
I don't know, the neighbor calls it a fossa. There are actually 2 tanks side by side. The neighbor says one is for "clean" water and the other is for "dirty" waste. They are interconnected because the truck runs the hose into one and they both empty. One other bit to consider is that I just learned that the camera pays for two cleanings per year because of "Águas residuais" on my water bill, and we don't have sewers. .....
I am guessing that you don't have much land around your home, so there is no room for a septic drain field - you would need probably at least 5m x10m-ish that isn't built on nor has trees on/near it, nor is too close to a neighboring property, to accommodate the drain field. Otherwise you might be living on ground with drainage issues - either high water table/ saturated ground, or an impermeable layer close to the surface, for example rock that would make a septic drain field unworkable, or at least unpleasant.
Old Mar 1st 2022, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

andywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond repute

that is part of the issue with the terracing around this new purchase of ours, the house is build into the rock partly, you can see rock coming into the basement, the ground of the terraces are very rocky due to that and not a lot of topsoil, so it wont drain very well, on top of that along the edges of the terracing are some very old vines which apparently produce a good crop, the trees on the terraces are peach and olive trees, these would need either relocating to a higher terrace or chopping down completely..........and to top it all off the drain field would be within 10mtrs of the stream, and the terraces are only 3-4mtrs wide at most............ergo, pump the black water up to a cesspit (no chemical reaction required or drain field just a large holding tank essentially) and then make a drainage soakaway into the land for the grey water.............I think !!
Old Mar 1st 2022, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am guessing that you don't have much land around your home, so there is no room for a septic drain field - you would need probably at least 5m x10m-ish that isn't built on nor has trees on/near it, nor is too close to a neighboring property, to accommodate the drain field. Otherwise you might be living on ground with drainage issues - either high water table/ saturated ground, or an impermeable layer close to the surface, for example rock that would make a septic drain field unworkable, or at least unpleasant.
Thanks for the info but I don't think any of that applies here. There is a lot of open space and the soil is like beach sand. In the eighties property owners sold the sand to construction companies. The name of the road/street is Rua dos Areeiros
I looked into a fossa biologica but it starts at €5.000 plus labor!
Old Jun 22nd 2022, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

andywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond repute

anyway ..........finally an update, according to the estate agent (informed by the daughter of the deceased who part rebuilt the house, so not the estate agents fault) it was advertised as not having a fossa, and we bought it on that basis........... anyway we moved in last week, and digging around in the garden next to the side of thouse lo and behold, a waste pipe coming out of the floor 5 mts of wire later later we determined its at least 5 mts to the end of the first chamber............ so we have a fossa and I have a couple of quid more in my pocket than if we didnt have one........... and if its been done with a fraction of the professionalism of the rest of the partial rebuild of the house then happy days ............ just to give anybody who contributed a final update that is , boa tarde amigos.
Old Jun 22nd 2022, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Not often that you can describe an unexpected septic tank as a happy surprise
Old Jun 22nd 2022, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

eh........I did a little jig amigo and celebrated I can tell ya !!!
Old Aug 17th 2022, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Jim San is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BillBullock
My septic tank has been functioning in the Algarve since 1996 and has never needed to be emptied. I was the first person to open up the inspection slabs which were sealed with cement and all I had to do was remove the wet wipes that were floating at the top of the fluid in the first tank. You have to be careful what you send down to the septic tank and educate your visitors; it seems that a lot of people flush all sorts of things down the WC.
I have the same problem with 2 inspection covers that underneath that is just concrete (not discernible hatches to open). Would love to know how you approached this problem?

Last edited by Jim San; Aug 17th 2022 at 10:36 am.
Old Aug 17th 2022, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

If that is the location of your sceptic tank, you need to remove the inspection covers and then clear away the concrete underneath the covers. It is possible that this concrete is a square slab like mine and it can be lifted off. If not, then the concrete will have to be broken into at which stage you will reveal the chambers of the sceptic tank. Goodness knows why builders make life so complicated. The 2 inspection covers is all that is needed for the lids of the tank so long as the smell is not too noticeable.
Old Aug 17th 2022, 5:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim San
I have the same problem with 2 inspection covers that underneath that is just concrete (not discernible hatches to open). Would love to know how you approached this problem? ....
That looks like someone has poured a concrete driveway over your septic tank!

You will need to work out roughly where the septic tank is, then break up the concrete in that area and dig down to find the hatch(es). Hopefully you have a good idea whete it is already, or whoever you pay to do the work can find the tank.

Ideally, once you've found the hatches you'd build brick boxes around them and install manhole covers on top before recasting the concrete, though there is a risk that a vehicle driving over the manhole cover could put too much stress on the septic tank and crack/ break it. The same would be possible if you didn't recast the concrete slab, that a vehicle driving on packed soil/ rock/ gravel could break the septic tank.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 17th 2022 at 6:22 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2022, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That looks like someone has poured a concrete driveway over your septic tank!

You will need to work out roughly where the septic tank is, then break up the concrete in that area and dig down to find the hatch(es). Hopefully you have a good idea whete it is already, or whoever you pay to do the work can find the tank.

Ideally, once you've found the hatches you'd build brick boxes around them and install manhole covers on top before recasting the concrete, though there is a risk that a vehicle driving over the manhole cover could put too much stress on the septic tank and crack/ break it. The same would be possible if you didn't recast the concrete slab, that a vehicle driving on packed soil/ rock/ gravel could break the septic tank.
I don't understand why someone has set in the inspection lids if that is not where the entries to the 2 chambers are located.
Old Aug 17th 2022, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by BillBullock
I don't understand why someone has set in the inspection lids if that is not where the entries to the 2 chambers are located.
Ah, sorry, I didn't see those - the picture isn't much more than a thumbnail on my phone.
Old Aug 24th 2022, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

To inspect the tanks, the concrete slabs have to be lifted; how to do that is dependent on details that are not known from the picture posted.

There should be some sort of system built in. Holes for ring bolts, or groves where a prybar can be used.

If there are no such things, I would drill holes and set in threaded inserts using a 2 component styrene, then screw ringbolts in, then lift.
If the concrete is not strong enough, it will break.
Then you need to cast proper concrete slabs that are strong enough.

I have a similar slab over the inspection cover of my own tank, it's buried in the back garden.
The purpose is to prevent the weight of my tractor from collapsing the tank when I drive over it (which would be bad).

To open it, I find the position by measuring from 2 corners of the house, dig away the grass and soil. and then lift the 80kg slab with a machine.
My slab has a lifting ring cast into it.

I only opened it once, about 5 years ago. There was almost no solids in it so I didn't have it pumped.

In the current drought, the position of the drain field should be pretty obvious.