Reload this Page >

Selling my UK car in Portugal

Selling my UK car in Portugal

Old Aug 20th 2020, 10:34 am
Just Joined

GwenO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling my UK car in Portugal

Hi everyone

We are planning to drive to Portugal with our UK car and sell it over there (after importing it in Portugal). Is there a market over there for RHD or it is better to sell it over here before we move out?

Thx in advance
Old Aug 20th 2020, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling my UK car in Portugal

There's a market for everything as long as the price is right.

You'll be much better off if you buy lhd in UK and import it after 6 months ownership as a tax free import.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 9:54 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

I think that you will find that ' importing it into Portugal ' is a LOT easier said than done, even if you qualify for the new residents' tax exemption.

For example, have you ascertained what it would cost to change over the headlamps ?
Old Aug 21st 2020, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

If you do import as a new resident and are exempted from the ISV registration tax you will have to wait before you can sell or pay back all or some of the ISV you've saved. An imported RHD car could be worth more in Portugal than the UK but it will not be worth as much as the identical LHD 'native' car and may incur greater ongoing costs for IUC (annual road tax) and insurance.
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute

As said.... you'd not even make your money back selling an re-registered UK car on (unless something like a 1960's Aston) but if you are moving and buying property here it's convenient as you'll be able to bring stuff and have transport which even helps if you are looking for another car. Look for something (make and model) which is similar to common cars here then things like legal Portuguese LHD headlights can be had from scrap yards which is even a good idea if you want to drive at night here instead of those black sticky headlamp patches.
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest that you come over in your UK car, establish yourself, apply for Residency, (and the NHR scheme if you qualify), meanwhile buy a car in Portugal which suits your needs, drive back to UK within the time limit before you would have to re-register and Import the UK car, visit the family and tidy up anything that needs doing in the UK, and fly back to your new country of Residence, train-taxi-bus back to home and your Portuguese car is waiting for you. Don't forget to sort out your driving license in a timely fashion and also note a UK resident should not be driving/insuring a Portuguese car, and a Portuguese resident should not be driving a UK registered car - if you can both drive, perhaps you can get round that?
Experts on here may like to comment .... ?

Last edited by Rambling archer; Aug 22nd 2020 at 1:02 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling archer View Post
... a UK resident should not be driving/insuring a Portuguese car ...
Not in the UK, perhaps. Why would it not be allowed in Portugal?
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GwenO View Post
Hi everyone

We are planning to drive to Portugal with our UK car and sell it over there (after importing it in Portugal). Is there a market over there for RHD or it is better to sell it over here before we move out?

Thx in advance
You are just opening yourself up for a load of hassle . As other posters have recommended use it to get here, buy a local car ( you may be a bit shocked about second-hand values ! ) , take it back to the UK and sell it. Think logically why should anyone want a right hand drive in Portugal ?
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

qianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we just sold our UK car and decide to bite the bullet buying here.
Old Aug 25th 2020, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Thx everyone for the replies.
In the mean time we decided to keep the car (because we have it for longer then 6 months) and take it over there.
So we are going to register it over there and then after a while if we can buy all the pieces from the scrapyards then we can modify it to a LHD car.
We decided to this because to buy a 2nd hand car in Portugal is really expensive. And to come back to the UK to sell the car is difficult because we don't have family living in the UK.
Is the change of driving license really necessary, because I have a European driving license?
Old Aug 25th 2020, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

What type of car is it?
Old Aug 25th 2020, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

It is a Vauxhall Astra
Old Aug 25th 2020, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

It'll probably cost more than what the cars worth for the parts alone to convert, but good luck if you decide to go ahead with it...
Old Aug 25th 2020, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Well, thats the idea, but if the parts really cost more then what the car is worth (in Portugal) then I keep the car like it is.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 7:25 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GwenO View Post
Is the change of driving license really necessary, because I have a European driving license?
If your driving licence is from another member state of the EU / EEA, you don't have to exchange it but you must register it with the IMT (Portugal's vehicle and driver licencing agency) within 60 days of becoming resident. It's then good to drive on in Portugal (you must carry the document the IMT issues together with it, though) until its expiry date, at which point it must be exchanged.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.