Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Selling a developed rural cottage

Selling a developed rural cottage

Old May 16th 2017, 1:46 pm
polly flinders

polly flinders will become famous soon enough
Default Selling a developed rural cottage

I have a property which I bought as a ruin about 25 years ago. I've gradually ,as funds permitted,made it into a pretty weekend house with a lovely garden. Ive decided to sell but have no idea of how to value it.
I will be interviewing prospective estate agents soon before deciding which one to use.
My question is can anyone advise me on the most important questions I should put to each of them to help me decide.
Old May 16th 2017, 2:05 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling a developed rural cottage

Originally Posted by polly flinders
I have a property which I bought as a ruin about 25 years ago. I've gradually ,as funds permitted,made it into a pretty weekend house with a lovely garden. Ive decided to sell but have no idea of how to value it.
I will be interviewing prospective estate agents soon before deciding which one to use.
My question is can anyone advise me on the most important questions I should put to each of them to help me decide.
The most important thing is to show that all alterations were done legally with the requisite planning permissions, as to the estate agents, have a look at their web sites to see how well they advertise properties and ask how much they will charge you, also that you have to approve the advert before it goes on-line.
Old May 16th 2017, 2:21 pm
polly flinders

Thank you, yes everything is legal but all initial building costings were in Escudos, I have the paperwork.
All of the estate agent's displays look professional. I think I need the equivalent of an interview plan so that I can compare candidates. I don't know any other way of deciding. They are all, potentially, going to take advantage if I don't at least appear to know what I'm doing. Eeek
Old May 16th 2017, 2:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I would be looking for an agent that markets to the UK, because most European markets are notorious for placing little or no value on renovations and upgrades even if you started with an agricultural ruin and turned it into a desirable country residence.
Old May 16th 2017, 2:32 pm
polly flinders

Ah ! But, Pulaski are there any U K residents going to throw caution to the wind during brexit insecurity. I foresee a nightmare ahead:
Old May 16th 2017, 2:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Ah ! But, Pulaski are there any U K residents going to throw caution to the wind during brexit insecurity. ....
There are numerous questions every week on BE about moving or retiring to Spain or Portugal. .... And you don't need to find thousands of people, you only need to find one.
Old May 16th 2017, 2:54 pm
polly flinders

Yes you're right,never say never. That one is going onto my interview list, thank you.
Old May 16th 2017, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

lennox is just really nicelennox is just really nicelennox is just really nicelennox is just really nicelennox is just really nicelennox is just really nicelennox is just really nicelennox is just really nice

Russell & Decoz in Moncarapache are very established. 25 years in business and their moto is there is someone for every house. Ask them to negotiate their fees. I did and they reduced them. Hope this helps
Old May 16th 2017, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

You may well find that it doesn't matter which agent you choose because it's quite likely that within a week or two of your chosen agent putting it on his site, at least some of the others will have pinched the pics & details & put them on their site as well.
Old May 16th 2017, 4:33 pm
polly flinders

Oh that's just great . So how do we deal with that then? Just when I was starting to get a bit of confidence , with everyone's help of course, now there's the possibility of my property being prostituted. Who eventually do I deal with
Old May 16th 2017, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Oh that's just great . So how do we deal with that then? Just when I was starting to get a bit of confidence , with everyone's help of course, now there's the possibility of my property being prostituted. Who eventually do I deal with
You won't be able to stop it happening but if you insist on only dealing with your nominated agent, you'll ensure they make their own deal with the unauthorised agents.
Old May 16th 2017, 5:05 pm
polly flinders

Aw mfesharne, sorry to be a pain but... If my details are sold on, who is responsible for showing prospective buyers around in my absence. Does everyone on the Algarve have access.
Old May 16th 2017, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Aw mfesharne, sorry to be a pain but... If my details are sold on, who is responsible for showing prospective buyers around in my absence. Does everyone on the Algarve have access.
They're not sold on to other agents......... it's just that other agents steal the pics & details & post them on their own site.

The good news is that the authorised agent is VERY unlikely indeed to pass the key onto any third party.

When the pirate agents wants a viewing, he'll already have done the deal on split commission with your authorised agent & both the agents and the buyer will meet together for the viewing.
Old May 16th 2017, 6:08 pm
polly flinders

Thank you for your time and your help. I feel that I am a bit better armed now. I'll be hitting the agent's offices with a bit more heft next week.. Oh bloody hell that's something to look forward to. The weeping seething mass on the bridge could well be me. Thanks again
Old May 16th 2017, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you for your time and your help. I feel that I am a bit better armed now. I'll be hitting the agent's offices with a bit more heft next week.. Oh bloody hell that's something to look forward to. The weeping seething mass on the bridge could well be me. Thanks again
I prescribe regular doses of relaxative in the form of vinho tinto to ease your burden.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.