Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

SEF documents for spouse of Brit (moving to PORTUGAL)

SEF documents for spouse of Brit (moving to PORTUGAL)

Old Jan 23rd 2019, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

FabioS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SEF documents for spouse of Brit (moving to PORTUGAL)

Hi guys,

I'm new in this forum and I was just wondering if anyone of you could kindly help me out, please.

I'm British citizen married with a non EEA member (she's from Brazil). We got married in London (2016) and moved to Brazil a few months ago. Now we have decided to migrate to Portugal (before the BREXIT dead line).

We have been searching the web, but it seems to us that every website blog has some discrepancies information regarding the documentation needed.

Could anyone advise me which documentation do we need to provide to SEF (residency card) and which documents do we need to apostille and/or translate?

Many TIA.

Old Jan 24th 2019, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SEF documents for spouse of Brit (moving to PORTUGAL)

https://www.sef.pt/en/Pages/conteudo...he.aspx?nID=22
Old Jan 24th 2019, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

FabioS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Richard! Thanks for that. Really helpful.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

AndyPT is an unknown quantity at this point

The funny thing SEF page above does not say is they will ask you to bring a "fresh" marriage certificate, less than 6 months old.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 6:05 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

I moved here just over 5 years ago, my wife is also from Brazil.

As Andy says, your marriage cert must be re-issued within last 6 months. It's to prove you're still married! I explained to the guy this was pointless. What happens if I got divorced 3 months ago? Besides, we got married in Brazil, but never lived there. We were in Dubai. So the registrar in Brazil where we had to get the cert from actually had no idea if we were still married.

Still, those are the rules and that's what they ask for. So try to get that before you have a SEF appointment in Portugal, or you'll have to get it. We were lucky the guy doing our application just made a note and said for us to drop it to him when we had it, and didn't need another appointment. But not sure if they're all as helpful.