Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Scrap UK car in Portugal

Scrap UK car in Portugal

Old Mar 19th 2022, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

ARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scrap UK car in Portugal

Originally Posted by riv
##That would be an incorrect guess. The 6 month limit applies to the vehicle no matter who owns it.##

I appreciate the clarity of your statement : but can I ask for a link or reference to the legal provision which I imagine underpins it ?

And what would you say would be the position if the current owner were to drive the UK vehicle to Spain; then, while the vehicle is IN Spain, its ownership were transferred to X ( resident in the UK ) via the online DVLA facility; and THEN the new owner were to drive the vehicle s/he had only just purchased back into Portugal ? Would s/he then not have six months to use the car legally in Portugal ( assuming MOT and insurance in order, of course, for the duration ) ?

Just wondering.
This may help https://eportugal.gov.pt/en/cidadaos...lo-em-portugal. It is interesting to note that the maximum 6 months, whether consecutive or not, is in each 12 months.

Old Mar 19th 2022, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
##That would be an incorrect guess. The 6 month limit applies to the vehicle no matter who owns it.##

I appreciate the clarity of your statement : but can I ask for a link or reference to the legal provision which I imagine underpins it ?

And what would you say would be the position if the current owner were to drive the UK vehicle to Spain; then, while the vehicle is IN Spain, its ownership were transferred to X ( resident in the UK ) via the online DVLA facility; and THEN the new owner were to drive the vehicle s/he had only just purchased back into Portugal ? Would s/he then not have six months to use the car legally in Portugal ( assuming MOT and insurance in order, of course, for the duration ) ?

Just wondering.
It's all in the Código do Imposto Sobre Veículos (Lei 22A/2007), which also states it is illegal to dispose of or lend a vehicle which has been brought into Portugal under the temporary admission regime. It does allow scrapping of a defective vehicle after obtaining authorisation from PT customs.
Spain, and the whole of the EU, has the same rules as they follow EU Directive 83/182. That Directive just adopts the same rule which are contained in the various UN Treaties on International road transport.
Old Mar 21st 2022, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

Originally Posted by shades123
Hi Loco,

And what options do you recommend I have? Thanks for your reply
Based on what you say, and presuming all the paperwork is in order and other than the faults you discribe the car is in good condition your best option is, if you have someone close to the car get them to run two simple tests to assertain if the likely problem is a blown head gasket.

If it doesn't appear to be the head gasket it is probably worth you having it repaired and then either taking it back to the UK or selling it in Portugal or Spain. Alternatively as you are offering to give it away I might be interested in taking a chance and taking it off your hands It would depend on location and how long it can be currently driven before it requires coolant and/or goes into limp mode.

As for adverts in PT or ES offering to buy/scrap UK registered vechiles based in PT/ES be extremely cautious as other posters here have highlighted.

Best
Loco