British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Savings (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/savings-590082/)

Cleri Feb 8th 2009 1:28 am

Savings

As we all know,the interest rates on savings in Uk are dire....mine has now dropped to 1% :eek:

EVERY option I look into demands that I am a UK resident,which I'm not...obviously.Even totally internet based accounts demand this.
Anyone got any ideas?

TaviraTrog Feb 8th 2009 1:56 am

Re: Savings

Originally Posted by Cleri (Post 7263008)
As we all know,the interest rates on savings in Uk are dire....mine has now dropped to 1% :eek:

EVERY option I look into demands that I am a UK resident,which I'm not...obviously.Even totally internet based accounts demand this.
Anyone got any ideas?

I don't want to be teaching my granny to suck eggs but...

have you tried the Portuguese banks or other financial institutions?

I have no idea if there are such things as ISAs or whatever the latest version is called.

A friend has suggested to me that I buy as many Savings Bonds as I can. The reasoning is that, although you don't get interest, if you have the maximum amount you can count on regular wins with Ernie.

Cleri Feb 8th 2009 2:01 am

Originally Posted by TaviraTrog (Post 7263086)
I don't want to be teaching my granny to suck eggs but...

have you tried the Portuguese banks or other financial institutions?

I have no idea if there are such things as ISAs or whatever the latest version is called.

A friend has suggested to me that I buy as many Savings Bonds as I can. The reasoning is that, although you don't get interest, if you have the maximum amount you can count on regular wins with Ernie.

I must admit,I've only tried my bank,and the rates were so dire,it put me off looking at others.

Do you mean Premium Bonds?...do you think that's a good option?

Hettyb Feb 8th 2009 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Cleri (Post 7263103)
I must admit,I've only tried my bank,and the rates were so dire,it put me off looking at others.

My very money astute neighbour certainly invests a largish amount in Premium Bonds and gets regular winnings.

TaviraTrog Feb 8th 2009 2:16 am

Yep. But I haven't investigated yet - it's just what a friend told me:p.

TaviraTrog Feb 8th 2009 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Hettyb (Post 7263139)
My very money astute neighbour certainly invests a largish amount in Premium Bonds and gets regular winnings.

What she said:D.

CHOPPER Feb 8th 2009 2:22 am

Premium bonds have just slashed their prize money due to the credit crunch, my wife and I have the full amount that you can get but she has hardly won anything for months.

TaviraTrog Feb 8th 2009 2:24 am

Originally Posted by CHOPPER (Post 7263148)
Premium bonds have just slashed their prize money due to the credit crunch, my wife and I have the full amount that you can get but she has hardly won anything for months.

Typical:sneaky:.

Supremegermalene Feb 8th 2009 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Cleri (Post 7263008)

Anyone got any ideas?

Lie?

:huh:

Cleri Feb 8th 2009 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene (Post 7263567)
Lie?

:huh:

Can't....to open a new account you need utility bills etc with a Uk address on them...and my name obviously..impossible :(

mshlgw Feb 8th 2009 4:33 am

You can put your millions in my account if you like. I keep getting Nigerians trying to!!!:rofl:

Titleist Feb 8th 2009 6:02 am

my mum has about £15000/20000 in premium bonds, she has about £50/100 most months and says at the mo she is breaking even on what interest she would have got in the bank..................on a good day

but it is a gamble:unsure:

deecee Feb 8th 2009 6:38 am

Hi Cleri. Go to MoneySavingExpert.com.this site is claiming it can get you up to 6% interest. At least you can email them and get personal advice taking into consideration your expat status. DeeCee

Old Biker Feb 8th 2009 7:01 am

I have found that Millennium bank have some reasonable saving deals, a lot better than UK. Up to 6% on a 90 day rollover if you leave it in for 11 periods. Look at their site http://www.millenniumbcp.pt/ it is available in English, you might find this useful.

Cleri Feb 8th 2009 7:06 am

Originally Posted by mshlgw (Post 7263590)
You can put your millions in my account if you like. I keep getting Nigerians trying to!!!:rofl:

:lol: