Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Sandero STEPWAY auto vs DUSTER auto ???

Sandero STEPWAY auto vs DUSTER auto ???

Old Aug 18th 2021, 8:45 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sandero STEPWAY auto vs DUSTER auto ???

In the ongoing saga of my obtaining wheels I can keep locally, I am looking into the possibility of buying new, either the Dacia Sandero Stepway automatic ( this year's, apparently mucb improved, model ) or the Dacia Duster auto (also a new improved, version, available from September ).

So far I can find lots of laudatory reviews on Youtube of the Stepway, but v little by way of reviews ( as opposed to Dacia / Renault marketing ) of the new Duster. I suppose there will be more reviews after September. That's ok, I prob won't buy till Feb / March. Tho' I gather I may need to join a queue whichever.

Anyone with experience of either or both cars ? Or thoughts as to how to compare ?

I don't suppose Dacia would allow one to drive each for a week on spec ??

Old Aug 18th 2021, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

m2m2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sandero STEPWAY auto vs DUSTER auto ???

The new Duster has a new 6-speed automatic. The auto in the Sandero is a CVT type...I wouldn't want a CVT in a car with only a 3 year warranty. Even the Youtube videos on Sandero raise question marks about the reliability of this unit over the long term.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 7:35 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no..........I thought there were just two types of car - manual and automatic.................

Now you're saying there are different types of automatic as well ????

Is that just different under the bonnet ( ie non mechanics needn't bother themselves ) or is it also different in terms of how you drive ?

Can you pl explain the two diffreent types of auto and why one is in your view superior to the other ? [ The one in the Duster ? right ? ]
Old Aug 19th 2021, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Start with reading this:

https://www.caranddriver.com/researc...c-quick-guide/
Old Aug 19th 2021, 8:02 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

The gist of the article ( as I understand it ) seems to be that CVTs are delicate flowers compared with traditional autos. And that when they go wrong ( which happens sooner than with trad autos, because they are so tender ) they are also more difficult thus costly to repair.

This would persuade that given the choice the trad auto is the one for me. ( I abs. seek reliability more than anything, as I dread breaking down. )

But I wonder....................Dacia's reputation is that part of the reason it can offer its cars at much lower prices than the competition , is that it eschews fancy stuff , keeps things as simple as possible, etc. . Hence no frills interiors.

But in choosing to install a CVT in the Stepway they would seem to be going against that grain..................Why might that be ? And why have they then chosen to stick with the traditional auto in the Duster ?

I note that the top spec Duster is about 4 or 5 grand dearer than the top spec Stepway. I wonder why that is .....

Old Aug 19th 2021, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

The CVT in the Sandero is an unknown as far as how reliable it will be. As the above article says: "CVTs can be expensive to repair or replace when compared to a conventional automatic transmission." Dacia only comes with a 3 year warranty...if it was 7 year warranty like KIA or Hyundai I would be less concerned.

The auto in the Duster is also not a conventional auto trans. It's a Dual Clutch type:

https://press.dacia.co.uk/en-gb/releases/168

EDC:

I would feel more comfortable with the "EDC" in the Duster; but again you only get 3 years warranty.

Visit a KIA or Hyundai dealer and see if you like anything before buying a Dacia.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by riv
The gist of the article ( as I understand it ) seems to be that CVTs are delicate flowers compared with traditional autos. And that when they go wrong ( which happens sooner than with trad autos, because they are so tender ) they are also more difficult thus costly to repair.

This would persuade that given the choice the trad auto is the one for me. ( I abs. seek reliability more than anything, as I dread breaking down. )

But I wonder....................Dacia's reputation is that part of the reason it can offer its cars at much lower prices than the competition , is that it eschews fancy stuff , keeps things as simple as possible, etc. . Hence no frills interiors.

But in choosing to install a CVT in the Stepway they would seem to be going against that grain..................Why might that be ? And why have they then chosen to stick with the traditional auto in the Duster ?

I note that the top spec Duster is about 4 or 5 grand dearer than the top spec Stepway. I wonder why that is .....

The CVT in the Sandero may end up being a good unit and very reliable...but no one knows yet...the car's price and only 3 years warranty does not inspire confidence.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

CVT was the drive mechanism on the Daf 55 back in the 70's.

Volvo later used the system in their Volvo 340 range of cars.

I know nothing of modern CVT systems and they may have come on leaps and bounds but I actually worked for a Volvo main dealer in the days of the 340 and we had many in for repair on the CVT.

As stated, my experience of CVT is 30 years old but it wasn't a good one but today's version may be significantly better.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Let's not forget Ford's horrific small car auto trans:

"According to internal documents, as reported today by the Detroit Free Press, Ford knew of the PowerShift transmission's inherent problems before production started but went ahead with it, telling dealers "to tell customers that the cars operated normally" when it knew they were problematic."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...sion-problems/

Old Aug 19th 2021, 8:28 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

I think I read you can pay extra for a longer than three years warranty. But I agree that these days 3 year warranties seem a bit short, given the ( supposed ? ) increased reliability of modern cars in general.

But, hell, maybe the posited 'BIGster' will be available ( in an auto ) before the three years warranty is up, and I can trade in. [ The mad name is an attraction, lol. ]
Old Aug 19th 2021, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
CVT was the drive mechanism on the Daf 55 back in the 70's.

Volvo later used the system in their Volvo 340 range of cars.

I know nothing of modern CVT systems and they may have come on leaps and bounds but I actually worked for a Volvo main dealer in the days of the 340 and we had many in for repair on the CVT.

As stated, my experience of CVT is 30 years old but it wasn't a good one but today's version may be significantly better.
Also used today by Nissan and many mopeds
Old Aug 19th 2021, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by riv
I think I read you can pay extra for a longer than three years warranty. But I agree that these days 3 year warranties seem a bit short, given the ( supposed ? ) increased reliability of modern cars in general.

But, hell, maybe the posited 'BIGster' will be available ( in an auto ) before the three years warranty is up, and I can trade in. [ The mad name is an attraction, lol. ]
It seems to me you have fallen under the spell of Youtube "influencers"; who would have us believe the Sandero is some type of Holy Grail...BMW quality for the price of a Russian made Lada.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 9:46 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

Well the old Sandero and Duster have been going for quite a few years and seem to have a lot of contented customers. As I understand it this is the first year that a Duster has become available with an auto gear change. ( I actually would have liked the idea of the totally cheap as chips basic model - which they say no one buys - save for the fact that auto is not an option till you get to the top of the range. )

Old Aug 19th 2021, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

For a curved ball suggestion why not embrace the sun filled lifestyle fully and get a Mini Moke type vehicle.

A garage near us in Tavira has quite a few of the Citroen equivalent (Maheri I think it is called) sitting gathering dust in his workshop.

Think Renault also did one. Great fun and very straightforward mechanically.

Get yourself a surfboard and Bob is your uncle 😀
Old Aug 19th 2021, 9:54 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

I LOVE the Mehari ! Used to see lots of them 'dans le South of France' in the 70s.

How much is he selling them for ? Do they still make them or are they ancient ones ?

They would be great for pottering around town and beach............But the lack of sunshade would probably rule out for this Celtic skinned, burn in five minutes, one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.