Run its course

Old Sep 25th 2022, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Run its course

By the looks of the number, and frequency of posts, it looks like this forum has run its Brexit course.
Old Sep 25th 2022, 4:55 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Run its course

Originally Posted by wellinever
By the looks of the number, and frequency of posts, it looks like this forum has run its Brexit course.
All forums have seen a downturn......nothing special here.
Old Sep 25th 2022, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Can you clarify, is there a specific Brexit thread somewhere or do you mean the Portugal forum in particular.

I would imagine the amount of posters on here will mirror the the current situation, whereby British buyers are on the decline therefore British people wanting to ask questions on here will decline in line with that.

We have recently sold (well almost, Promissory signed and deposit paid) and talking to our estate agent very few viewings were to Brits. Our purchaser is Portuguese.

In our circle of acquaintances (British) in Portugal we are the third to sell up this year so I suppose Brits selling up will also have an impact as they will have little or no need to contribute on here either.
Old Sep 26th 2022, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Yes just look back 5 years or so and see number of posts and views and replies.
Dont look at other forums on here, but seems that anyone that was concerned about Brexit, has now had their questions answered
Returns to UK only likely to increase if Sterling continues to remain at current levels, with reduction in value of Sterling to Euros, and more important the increase in exchange rate returning euros to sterling.
Old Sep 26th 2022, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Yes just look back with reduction in value of Sterling to Euros, and more important the increase in exchange rate returning euros to sterling.
Are you kwasi kwarteng by any chance? (economics at its best)

🤔😂
Old Sep 26th 2022, 8:34 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Yes just look back 5 years or so and see number of posts and views and replies.
Dont look at other forums on here, but seems that anyone that was concerned about Brexit, has now had their questions answered
Returns to UK only likely to increase if Sterling continues to remain at current levels, with reduction in value of Sterling to Euros, and more important the increase in exchange rate returning euros to sterling.
The lack of posts is nothing to do with Brexit or the euro because the whole of BE has gone a lot quieter than it was several years ago.

Rosemary
Old Sep 26th 2022, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
The lack of posts is nothing to do with Brexit or the euro because the whole of BE has gone a lot quieter than it was several years ago.

Rosemary

Maybe that's the result of brexit?
Simply fewer Brit expats out here in the EU.

It seems to me most posts are by newbies who need a little help; and there has to be fewer after brexit and the virus lockdowns.

Brexit itself is a spent subject; we've all said what we had to say about it. I guess everyone just has to deal with the situation as it is, as how it was fades into history.
Old Sep 26th 2022, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

I still hate it though!
Old Sep 26th 2022, 12:42 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

If there is a desire to see more activity on the Forum then there is a simple solution : permit individuals to advertise For Sale and Wanted, and for that matter, Giveaways ( for re cycling ).

This would add quite a bit to the functionality of the Forum, and I can see no negative consequence whatever.
Old Sep 26th 2022, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toots sweet
I still hate it though!
If you are referring to Brexit, I couldn't agree more.

There has been a massive demographic shift in Iberia since that dreaded referendum.

In Spain, the British have left in huge numbers and they have been replaced mostly by Dutch people in our immediate area (east of Malaga) with a smattering of French, Belgians and Germans. Houses are selling quickly in our area and over the past six years, we have literally been watching the British being replaced. Last week, I was speaking to someone who lives in Nerja and they said the same thing has happened there, British leaving but in that area they are being replaced by wealthy German people. I rarely see British plated cars now but we see loads of other northern European vehicles.

In Portugal, it's a very similar story except there are fewer Dutch people and a lot more French, particularly in Tavira.

So there is bound to be much less traffic on the European section of a forum like this because it's incredibly difficult for UK nationals to relocate to the EU now - Portugal is the easiest place.
Old Sep 26th 2022, 2:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
If there is a desire to see more activity on the Forum then there is a simple solution : permit individuals to advertise For Sale and Wanted, and for that matter, Giveaways ( for re cycling ).

This would add quite a bit to the functionality of the Forum, and I can see no negative consequence whatever.
Afraid the mods would disagree with you there. People use forums less and less these days anyway, and people sell via places like Facebook Marketplace or EBay.

When the Classifieds section was scrapped on BE it had had one genuine post in the previous 3 months. And hundreds of spam ones. It was a huge amount of extra work for us and nobody ever used it anyway.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 26th 2022 at 3:14 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2022, 3:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
The lack of posts is nothing to do with Brexit or the euro because the whole of BE has gone a lot quieter than it was several years ago. .....
Originally Posted by liveaboard
Maybe that's the result of brexit?
Simply fewer Brit expats out here in the EU.

It seems to me most posts are by newbies who need a little help; and there has to be fewer after brexit and the virus lockdowns. ....
I agree with Rosemary, because I've noticed it in the US forum too. Activity there is down significantly over the past 6-7 years, though this may be because the US forum had "Trump threads" where the European forums had Brexit threads, though there was some overlap. But the activty in the Australia and NZ has had an even more serious decline - those forums seem to be really dead!

Personally, I think that aside from the trends in internet useage and social media, which have led to the "traditional" internet forums (2000-2015) that evolved from Usenet (which is still around, amazingly enough) all being in long-term decline, that specific to BE, the politcal "discussions", or as I would describe them, "bickering, sniping, and arguing", proved to be a huge turn-off for most people, who are not politically active. Certainly I lost interest in posting on BE, lost interest in even interacting with some of the more vociferous posters, and I even took a couple of extended breaks from posting at all. I generally found that the mild-escapism of posting on BE had entirely disappeared and been replaced by a distilled essence of the problems of the world around me.

All that said, activty in the US forum seemed to start to pick up between May and July this year, but then fell off a cliff in August and hasn't recovered, for reasons that I am unaware of.
Old Sep 26th 2022, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, for me personally couldn't have happened at a better time. This time next week we will have a tidy Euro sum in the bank to transfer back so hopefully the pound stays weak a little longer!
Old Sep 26th 2022, 3:56 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Afraid the mods would disagree with you there. People use forums less and less these days anyway, and people sell via places like Facebook Marketplace or EBay.

When the Classifieds section was scrapped on BE it had had one genuine post in the previous 3 months. And hundreds of spam ones. It was a huge amount of extra work for us and nobody ever used it anyway.
Riv mentions this on a regular basis and does not seem to take on board that it did not work in the past and will not be a feature now or in the future.

There are plenty of selling sites on the internet that can be used.

Rosemary
Old Sep 26th 2022, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

I think the reason it didn't work is because it wasn't divided into different countries. It was practically unusable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.