Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Roaming in Portugal - Three/Smarty

Roaming in Portugal - Three/Smarty

Old Jan 7th 2021, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roaming in Portugal - Three/Smarty

I seem to recall that before the EU introduced controls on the costs of roaming (and eventually the roam-like-at-home scheme) most foreign carriers had arrangements with a partner network. My Orange (UK) phone used to connect (IIRC) to TMN. While other networks might have been visible they wouldn't necessarily have allowed connections or chargeable activity.

As far as I know, a Portuguese mobile will only connect to one network in Portugal. It can hardly be considered unreasonable if a third country's network is limited to one also.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 4:08 pm
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

Finally got a response from Three/Smarty to my complaint... Usual templated answer. Should be able to connect to Meo or NOS, no mention of Vodafone. Followed by more templated suggestions, turn it off and on again, local network problem. Utter rubbish.

I've fired it back at them to escalate and investigate further. Watch this space.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
I seem to recall that before the EU introduced controls on the costs of roaming (and eventually the roam-like-at-home scheme) most foreign carriers had arrangements with a partner network. My Orange (UK) phone used to connect (IIRC) to TMN. While other networks might have been visible they wouldn't necessarily have allowed connections or chargeable activity.

As far as I know, a Portuguese mobile will only connect to one network in Portugal. It can hardly be considered unreasonable if a third country's network is limited to one also.
In an unlocked phone you can use who ever you want, as long as of course if you have a MEO sim you connect to MEO etc

I would be 100% sure that if 3 themselves are not the problem then its the deal that sub users (superdrug/Smarty) have with them gives no profit for 3 when they have to buy data from a 3rd party (wholesale price in the EU for mobile data is €3.50/GB)....well by tiny contract with Superdrug costs £10 for 5 GB + unlimited phone and texts, phone and text still work albeit with Vodafone PT.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 4:34 pm
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about Superdrug but 3 and Smarty are one and the same, just different brands.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Score76
I don't know about Superdrug but 3 and Smarty are one and the same, just different brands.
I got an E E SIM as well, when I put that in the phone All providers are available.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 9:29 pm
Happiest in the sun

Quick update from Smarty/Three...
Complaints team assures me nothing has changed with roaming agreements re. Brexit and they've checked with the roaming team responsible for putting these agreements in place. That team are now escalating the issue with their contacts at Meo/NOS to try and get to the bottom of things. Watch this space.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

MEO contracts...........hope 3 is not being treated like me.
From Jan 1st MEO have just doubled the cost of my mobile Data Sim.
No new contract given or signed, need to `ave a word in their shell like`.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

All sorted with MEO, now reverted back to the discounted I had enjoyed.......result.........dont get many in my favour.......LOL
Old Jan 14th 2021, 9:40 am
Happiest in the sun

Presumably you dialed 16200 and renewed your contract?

​In my experience you call at a time when you're not in a rush. You tell the renewals agent what you want, he completely ignores that and proceeds to offer you their top package at three times what you're paying already including a bunch of extras you neither need or want. You repeat what you want and they say, "let me see what else I can do for you", put you on hold while they play candy crush. When he completes the level, he'll then offer you the 2nd top package, at twice what you already pay, including slightly less things you neither want or need. You protest, fobbed off, on hold, more candy crush, and repeat... And repeat... And repeat...

Until eventually, he'll no longer say, "let me see what else I can do for you", and instead say, "I'm sorry but that's the best I can do". That's the time to buy.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 12:42 pm
Happiest in the sun

Not the desired news, but some clarity at least. I received this back from Three/Smarty...

"I have had some feedback regarding our network partners in Portugal and currently the only partner we have in place is Vodafone Portugal - Comunicações Pessoais, S.A. The team have told me that the local connection will be down to that local network, SMARTY use them as a partner, but don’t supply the actual connection whilst roaming, Vodafone will, and therefore there isn’t anything SMARTY can do to improve on your local signal whilst roaming. I have been told that we are looking to add some news partners to our network in Portugal but I have no time frames on when yet."
Old Mar 31st 2021, 8:02 pm
Happiest in the sun

A further change today...
So my Smarty mobile (MVNO using the 3 network) stopped roaming altogether as did my OH. Trying to search for a network shows Meo, NOS and Vodafone pt as forbidden.

A friend is with 3 directly. His phone has stopped using Vodafone pt and is now back on Meo. Anyone else on the 3 network seen any change?

Other friends using the O2 network either directly or with Tesco mobile have told me they've had notice that they will start being charged as they've been roaming for too long.
Old Mar 31st 2021, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Abdc21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Score76
A further change today...
So my Smarty mobile (MVNO using the 3 network) stopped roaming altogether as did my OH. Trying to search for a network shows Meo, NOS and Vodafone pt as forbidden.

A friend is with 3 directly. His phone has stopped using Vodafone pt and is now back on Meo. Anyone else on the 3 network seen any change?

Other friends using the O2 network either directly or with Tesco mobile have told me they've had notice that they will start being charged as they've been roaming for too long.
This may explain why I have not had any network since morning. My phone normally connects to vodaphone whilst here in PT. Three could have given a warning atletas .
Old Mar 31st 2021, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yep....I use a superdrug SIM, which is also 3.
all providers now forbidden as from today.
Have another sim in the phone which is Tesco, who use OF, and that runs ok
Old Mar 31st 2021, 9:25 pm
Happiest in the sun

Originally Posted by Abdc21
This may explain why I have not had any network since morning. My phone normally connects to vodaphone whilst here in PT. Three could have given a warning atletas .
May I ask, what provider are you with?
Old Apr 1st 2021, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Abdc21 is an unknown quantity at this point

I’m with Three.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.