Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

returning to the UK - UK tax

Wikiposts

returning to the UK - UK tax

Old Nov 25th 2014, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

nigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nice
Default returning to the UK - UK tax

Last April, just after the beginning of the UK 2014/5 tax year, I returned to the UK to live after being tax non-resident for many years. I informed HMRC on my return of my date of arrival and subsequently bought a flat, so I pay Council Tax and am on the Electoral Register etc.

I was assuming that HMRC would simply accept that I was no longer non-resident, but then I was pointed towards the 2013 Statutory Residence Test which seems to imply that various hoops have to be jumped through to prove you are resident for UK tax purposes.

Does anyone have any knowledge or recent experience of this? Thanks.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: returning to the UK - UK tax

you should have just filled in the form for returning residents and ticked the right boxes, assuming you have a British passport you will be deemed resident if you are here for most of the tax year but plenty of idiots in the tax office who can't even type in the right address (happened to me but the nearby neighbour or postman knew who I was) so they might have you confused with a non-Brit passport holder.