Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Restaurant music too loud

Restaurant music too loud

Old Feb 19th 2018, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Restaurant music too loud

We once bought a nice villa with full seaview. A really quiet area and we were happy....... until the neighbour bought a young dog that was kept outside. He barked and we thought he will stop when he gets tired. But no, he barked day and night.

After 4 years the dog was still there and barked. We finally sold our villa ........

When can you be sure? Noise, mosquitos, smell, new buildings ........ I really don't know.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 5:47 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilou
We once bought a nice villa with full seaview. A really quiet area and we were happy....... until the neighbour bought a young dog that was kept outside. He barked and we thought he will stop when he gets tired. But no, he barked day and night.

After 4 years the dog was still there and barked. We finally sold our villa ........

When can you be sure? Noise, mosquitos, smell, new buildings ........ I really don't know.
You cannot , all you can do is avoid the obvious, anything with the potential to be an issue ask as many questions and take any advice you can.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

As I said in post #20

"Having good neighbours is a matter of luck.

Having no neighbours or close neighbours is a matter of choice.

Here endeth the lesson."
Old Feb 20th 2018, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in a beautiful, quiet, seaside village.
They started having parties there, or raves as they came to be known. At first it was once a month.
They used to hold them in a cove at the base of the cliffs, so it was ok, the sound didn't carry inland.
Then new operators began, without regard for anyone. Soon it was every night during tourist season, all night.
They made so much money, no one could touch them.
These guys had been my friends growing up, but by this time just a mention of the noise issue and war would be declared.

Anyway, we sold up and left. There was no other way.

So, to the OP; you're afraid to complain to the owner or the authorities because you don't want animosity, but you already have that. you have nothing to lose.

White noise in your house [fan, AC, or dedicated system] will help you get sleep. But ultimately, the ambiance of your house just isn't conducive to a peaceful life.
If you can't rally the neighborhood to your cause, and he doesn't simply go bankrupt [a distinct possibility] then you just have to sell and move.
The apartment will probably still be quite usable as a tourist rental.

Good luck!
Old Feb 20th 2018, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I grew up in a beautiful, quiet, seaside village.
They started having parties there, or raves as they came to be known. At first it was once a month.
They used to hold them in a cove at the base of the cliffs, so it was ok, the sound didn't carry inland.
Then new operators began, without regard for anyone. Soon it was every night during tourist season, all night.
They made so much money, no one could touch them.
These guys had been my friends growing up, but by this time just a mention of the noise issue and war would be declared.

Anyway, we sold up and left. There was no other way.

So, to the OP; you're afraid to complain to the owner or the authorities because you don't want animosity, but you already have that. you have nothing to lose.

White noise in your house [fan, AC, or dedicated system] will help you get sleep. But ultimately, the ambiance of your house just isn't conducive to a peaceful life.
If you can't rally the neighborhood to your cause, and he doesn't simply go bankrupt [a distinct possibility] then you just have to sell and move.
The apartment will probably still be quite usable as a tourist rental.

Good luck!
I definately don't want to complain.
We live now 1 week in the house and the music problem is only in the weekend. The music stops already at 10 pm. So, no sleeping problems.

We live here only a few months in winter time. So for us the music won't be a reason to sell!
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

I definately don't want to complain.
We live now 1 week in the house and the music problem is only in the weekend. The music stops already at 10 pm. So, no sleeping problems.

We live here only a few months in winter time. So for us the music won't be a reason to sell!
I am so sorry about this problem Pilou...But you have just said you only live in the house in the winter months(usually most cafe's /restaurants are closed then..maybe this new guy is trying to drum up what little business there is by using sound!! I am guessing other people will be annoyed by this trick as well as you.hopefull he will give it up.. Plus if it is only in the weekend you may simple have to regard it as the price you pay for living in a seaside town..

. I have banged on a few times about the noise from gardeners around my house .. Drove me mad when we first moved in. Now I have adjusted my life to them. make sure I am out when the worst of it is happening.I go shopping or play Golf.. I'm glad i made the move,as funnily enough it doesn.t bother me as much now if by chance I am at home.The tension has gone out of it...Good luck..
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 3:54 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
I am so sorry about this problem Pilou...But you have just said you only live in the house in the winter months(usually most cafe's /restaurants are closed then..maybe this new guy is trying to drum up what little business there is by using sound!! I am guessing other people will be annoyed by this trick as well as you.hopefull he will give it up.. Plus if it is only in the weekend you may simple have to regard it as the price you pay for living in a seaside town..

. I have banged on a few times about the noise from gardeners around my house .. Drove me mad when we first moved in. Now I have adjusted my life to them. make sure I am out when the worst of it is happening.I go shopping or play Golf.. I'm glad i made the move,as funnily enough it doesn.t bother me as much now if by chance I am at home.The tension has gone out of it...Good luck..
Ditto, when the gardener's arrive or we know they are coming we go out or close the doors and windows and get on with life.
Noisy renters next door usually soon get the message and anyway they are only around for a short time.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeniB

Thank you for your kind reaction!!!
We think our first weekend in our house was the restaurant's opening party-weekend. After last weekend it became quiet. This will be our second weekend and we will see what will happen during the weekend.
We also need to get used to some noise and adjust our life a bit (your wise words).