Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Restaurant music too loud

Restaurant music too loud

Old Feb 18th 2018, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default Restaurant music too loud

Hi,
We live in town with lots of restaurants and cafés. There is only 1 restaurant with extremely loud music friday-saturday and sunday. When we walk trough the town, we don't hear music coming from restaurants and cafés.
The restaurant next door has the music so loud that we cannot stay in our house and we cannot be outside.
The loud music starts in the morning ..... only 2 or 3 persons inside. I just don't understand.

When we complain at the camara, the owner of the restaurant will know that we are complaining ..........
I just don't know what to do. Inside and outside the house we cannot communicate because of the music.
We walk know with things in our ears because it is a nightmare.

When we bought the house, the restaurant / café was always closed. All houses around, but only few people live there in the winter.

Don't know what to do???????!!!!!!!!!! It is unlivable.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 6:55 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restaurant music too loud

Originally Posted by Pilou
Hi,
We live in town with lots of restaurants and cafés. There is only 1 restaurant with extremely loud music friday-saturday and sunday. When we walk trough the town, we don't hear music coming from restaurants and cafés.
The restaurant next door has the music so loud that we cannot stay in our house and we cannot be outside.
The loud music starts in the morning ..... only 2 or 3 persons inside. I just don't understand.

When we complain at the camara, the owner of the restaurant will know that we are complaining ..........
I just don't know what to do. Inside and outside the house we cannot communicate because of the music.

When we bought the house, the restaurant / café was always closed. All houses around, but only few people live there in the winter.

Restaurants have a license to play music.
I do not know where you are but if it is in a tourist area then I doubt your complaints will be listened to.
Equally as a non Portuguese the same will apply.
I think you will just have to get used to it.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 7:58 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi,

You have my utmost sympathy.
We bought a house not too far from a restaurant. That turned into a pub and we had years of the most dreadful noise at all hours. It is debilitating and ruins one's life.

I hope something can be done.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

I have met people with similar problems, they installed some kind of insulation. When they bought property the bar was closed but then it reopened with live music etc. It’s an unfortunate situation one I’m glad not to be in even though I am hard of hearing for me some sounds are much worse than others either too loud or not loud enough.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Take I mix tape of music you like to the bar and get them to play it. I've always found that the only music that is too loud is music I don't like.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 10:46 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Here, music is a contact sport. If you dont like your neighbours music buy bigger speakers than him. Nobody ever complains about loud music and the police would laugh at you, in fact its de rigeur to complain that your neighbours music lacks bass, i can afford more stuff than any of my neighbours but i rarely set it to more than stun, that said, i had a party once, and a neighbour complimented me on the mix, sating he and his wife were dancing into the night, he should have joined us but i guess it was a couples thing...

My definition of house hifi. https://www.andertons.co.uk/bose/bos...5-and-x2-65937
Old Feb 18th 2018, 11:02 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

We can joke about it but it's no fun for the OP.
What it does prove is not to rush into buying a property before doing really thorough research.
I looked back and could not find any questions from them about the area, location of the property etc.
Agents are notorious for telling you what you want to hear, not what might put you off.
If the resturant owners are Benfica fans expect some long and noisy nights when ever they do well.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 11:14 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
We can joke about it but it's no fun for the OP.
What it does prove is not to rush into buying a property before doing really thorough research.
I looked back and could not find any questions from them about the area, location of the property etc.
Agents are notorious for telling you what you want to hear, not what might put you off.
If the resturant owners are Benfica fans expect some long and noisy nights when ever they do well.
Indeed, but what if you did drown out the bar with some max bygraves, wagner or man utd game? Actually doesnt portugal have some aweful catterwauling folk singing? Would the bar complain or be too embarassed?

NB um not joking about here, people have 4kw on their balconies, a guy here bought a 30kw pa that he rents out for bands, but plays it from his garage for parties occasionally.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Feb 18th 2018 at 11:17 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the best option is to approach the restaurant owner and politely ask them to turn their music down?
Old Feb 19th 2018, 9:34 am
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Indeed, but what if you did drown out the bar with some max bygraves, wagner or man utd game? Actually doesnt portugal have some aweful catterwauling folk singing? Would the bar complain or be too embarassed?

NB um not joking about here, people have 4kw on their balconies, a guy here bought a 30kw pa that he rents out for bands, but plays it from his garage for parties occasionally.
I am sure the Portuguese neighbours will not complain if they hear modern Fado being played.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

The best thing to do is sell while prices are high. Unless you have such a personal connection to that property, what's the point? It's in a town and will never change.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 10:11 am
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by Moses2013
The best thing to do is sell while prices are high. Unless you have such a personal connection to that property, what's the point? It's in a town and will never change.
Put it on the market in the winter when the place is closed and tell your agent not to mention the noise from the restaurant.
It's been done before.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Put it on the market in the winter when the place is closed and tell your agent not to mention the noise from the restaurant.
It's been done before.
And never go with the same agent you bought from. Could be a little side business (commission). Unfortunately it happens all the time and as you say, research and research is required.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

How about first trying to amicably solve the problem with the restaurant owner before having a knee jerk reaction? Have people lost the art of communication and conflict resolution?
Old Feb 19th 2018, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shanorme
How about first trying to amicably solve the problem with the restaurant owner before having a knee jerk reaction? Have people lost the art of communication and conflict resolution?
Of course you can do that, but it can also turn the other way. You sometimes know straight away with what sort of people you're dealing with. I would also question why I want to live in that specific location, if I have problems with noise. Is that town really the right choice? They turn the music down and after a few drinks it goes up again. I don't know if the OP ever lived in a flat before, or terraced house? People who have lived in detached properties will always have problems, unless you just want to get used to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.