Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

residency / health

residency / health

Old Aug 19th 2019, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

winniepop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default residency / health

I know this has been touched on in another thread, but this is a specific question.

I arrived in PT last week and have a work contract. I have my nif and a bank account.

I wanted to obtain the residency registration cert. so I could register for the health service. I read that this cannot be done (in most cases) until 90 days has passed.

If this is the case, how does one access heath services? I am diabetic and will need medication prior to this time...

If it makes a difference, my camara is Oeiras.

thanks
Old Aug 19th 2019, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

DiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: residency / health

There'a no need to wait until 90 days has passed. If you intend to stay longer than 90 days you HAVE TO register. So just head to Junta de Fraguesia to obtain Certificado de morada (residencia) then go to Camara Municiapal to obtain your Registration Certificate. Then go to Centro de Saude.
Old Aug 19th 2019, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

You can talk to the doctor in your local farmácia. They may be able to help, short term.

When we had t wait weeks to see a doctor, we'd go the the farmácia, get the medication, pay full whack and when we had the prescription, get the money back.
Old Aug 19th 2019, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

thanks, most useful...
Old Aug 19th 2019, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DiDAN
There'a no need to wait until 90 days has passed. If you intend to stay longer than 90 days you HAVE TO register. So just head to Junta de Fraguesia to obtain Certificado de morada (residencia) then go to Camara Municiapal to obtain your Registration Certificate. Then go to Centro de Saude.

Im confused now... I have to go to TWO places? I thought it was just to the camara to get the residency registration cert. Is this not the case?

:-/
Old Aug 19th 2019, 8:50 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winniepop
Im confused now... I have to go to TWO places? I thought it was just to the camara to get the residency registration cert. Is this not the case?

:-/
Very probably just the Câmara.

Under some circumstances, some Câmaras might ask for a more local confirmation that you're actually residing, which means getting a document from your parish council. Probably not with a contract of work in your possession, as in your case though.
Old Aug 19th 2019, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

DiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond repute

Most of Camaras want a "proof of address" issued by local parish. Your rent contract might work as well, but it will depend on your Camara.
Old Aug 20th 2019, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

You do need to go to 2 places.

To the Junta/council to get the Attestado which attests to you living where you say you do & this has to be countersigned by 2 residents of the same parish & to the Camara/Town Hall to get the initial 5 year residencia which is the residency certificate.

Some areas want the Attestado then the Residencia & some the other way round but just go with the flow & do it whichever way they want.

Last edited by mfesharne; Aug 20th 2019 at 7:04 am.
Old Aug 20th 2019, 7:16 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to have both.

You might need to get an atestado from the parish council if the Câmara won't issue a certificate of residence without it. If they don't insist on it, it's a waste of time and you certainly won't be sent off by them to get one subsequent to them issuing the certificate.

You might, at some other point, come up against something else where you do need one - and then it'll have to be a freshly-minted one. It's not a piece of paper that's required unless specifically requested and not one that's worth having in your possession "just in case", since it has a limited "validity period" as far as the authorities who might request it are concerned.
Old Aug 20th 2019, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

It depend on while you have a long term rental contract on hands or not. If not - Atestado de Residencia issued by Junta is easiest way to get a proof of address. I usually takes no more than a week to be issued. Back in time I got mine while living in AirBnB.
Old Aug 20th 2019, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but just getting off the subject for a minute. DIDAN ,you said you HAVE to register if you stay longer then 90 days. I'm under the impression that you have 180+ a few days ...... No use registering if you do not want to be a full time resident ...................
Old Aug 20th 2019, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

By law you MUST register within 30 days if you already in Portugal for 90 days. There's nothing about TAX residency. It's EU free movement law.
You may register any time earlier (the same day you arrived to Portugal will work as well) if you INTEND to stay for longer than 90 days.

You may dig here:
https://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp...d=en#navItem-1
Old Aug 20th 2019, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

The 90 day rule seems to apply if you are working or seeking work. Not if you are retired or not seeking employment(see below excerpt from your attached doc). I was querying your reply because i have been told not to bother with the 90 day period when I went to register with my local camara.

""Staying abroad for more than 3 months

As an EU national, you can live in any EU country if you have:
  • comprehensive health insurance cover in your host country
  • sufficient income to live there without needing income support.
Income could come from a pension, if you are a pensioner, or any other source of revenue.

Register your residence

During the first 3 months of your stay, your host country cannot require you to register your residence. You can do so if you wish.

After 3 months, your host country may require you to register your residence with local authorities, prove you meet the conditions to stay and obtain a document confirming your right to stay."
Old Aug 20th 2019, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

It's clearly stated that pensioners must do the same. There's no exceptions. If you're staying more than 90 days you must register.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...l/index_en.htm

Failure to register is an offence punishable by a fine of between EUR 400 and 1500.

Last edited by DiDAN; Aug 20th 2019 at 3:07 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2019, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

It's also a good idea to check the info provided by gov.uk

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...-and-residency

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.