Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Residency after Brexit

Residency after Brexit

Old Sep 16th 2021, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency after Brexit

We got our NIFs maybe 5-6 years before relocating.
When we registerred for residency, the change of address at AT was done an hour later without any request for residency certificate, which still took 5 days to be issued.
Or so I remember.
Old Sep 16th 2021, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
Since June 1985 when the Schengen acquis came into being, Article 22.2 states
"Aliens resident in the territory of one of the Contracting Parties who enter the territory of another Contracting Party shall be required to report to the authorities, as laid down in paragraph 1."
And Spain stipulates that reporting of entry must be made
"Esta declaración podrá efectuarse en el momento de la entrada o en el plazo de tres días hábiles, a partir de la misma, en función de la apreciación del Estado en cuyo territorio entren.En España esta declaración se realizará en cualquier Comisaría de Policía o en las Oficinas de Extranjeros en el plazo mencionado, si no se hubiese efectuado en el momento de la entrada."
More in depth info on the Guía de Trámites published by the Spanish Interior Ministry.
http://www.interior.gob.es/documents...e-beadd8d75d0c

EDIT - I should clarify that this rule applies to third country citizens, and UK citizens became third country citizens when the Withdrawal Agreement ended on 31/12/20.
We are resident in Portugal and split our time between Spain and Portugal. My partner is still British and has never reported to the Spanish authorities although we are both on the padron. I'm Irish thank god so my partner has special rights and privileges anyway.
Old Sep 16th 2021, 10:23 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou71
We are resident in Portugal and split our time between Spain and Portugal. My partner is still British and has never reported to the Spanish authorities although we are both on the padron. I'm Irish thank god so my partner has special rights and privileges anyway.
You should not be on the Padron if you are not resident in Spain. You have said that you are registered as resident in Portugal so should definitely not have signed onto the Padron as it is for residents not non residents.

Rosemary
Old Sep 16th 2021, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
You should not be on the Padron if you are not resident in Spain. You have said that you are registered as resident in Portugal so should definitely not have signed onto the Padron as it is for residents not non residents.

Rosemary
We told them we were resident in Portugal when we signed up to it and they said it was OK. We were completely open about our situation and showed passports etc. I read someone that you don't have to be resident in Spain to go on the Padron - I'll try and find the link.

Frankly, I really don't care whether or not we are on it.

Last edited by Lou71; Sep 16th 2021 at 11:34 am.
Old Sep 16th 2021, 11:27 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

We told them we were resident in Portugal when we signed up to it and they said it was OK. We were completely open about our situation and showed passports etc. I read someone that you don't have to be resident in Spain to go on the Padron - I'll try and find the link.

Frankly, I really don't care whether or not we are on it.
Unfortunately some town halls will encourage non residents to sign on the Padron because it is their way of gaining funds from the government. No matter what is said anywhere the padron is for residents.

Rosemary
Old Sep 16th 2021, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Unfortunately some town halls will encourage non residents to sign on the Padron because it is their way of gaining funds from the government. No matter what is said anywhere the padron is for residents.

Rosemary
For some reason I was unable to post a link.

We needed proof of address and the town hall told us that we needed to sign on to the padron and it didn't matter that we were non resident.

Old Sep 16th 2021, 12:45 pm

For some reason I was unable to post a link.

We needed proof of address and the town hall told us that we needed to sign on to the padron and it didn't matter that we were non resident.
They are wrong. However, I do have some sympathy for the town halls in areas in which many of the homes are bought by non residents because of course this means that they do not have as much money from the government to help with the costs of the services that they provide.

Rosemary
Old Sep 17th 2021, 9:37 am
Just Joined

K.Jackson is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys,
Its getting difficult for me to find the Irish route as i have no contact with my family.
Any guidance?

Also if i wanted to Ireland how long do i have to stay there before i can claim citizenship?
Is that even a possible route to take?
Thanks
Old Sep 17th 2021, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by K.Jackson
Guys,
Its getting difficult for me to find the Irish route as i have no contact with my family.
Any guidance?

Also if i wanted to Ireland how long do i have to stay there before i can claim citizenship?
Thanks
All info here: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...alisation.html
At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you are in Portugal, Germany or Ireland. You still have to make a living and need the tools to make it work.
Of course Ireland is the easiest option because Brits can move here without a Visa and don't need a foreign language. Supermac's is also always looking for staff, what about accommodation though?
Old Sep 17th 2021, 2:41 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by K.Jackson
Guys,
Any guidance?

Thanks
Read the link supplied by Moses2013, count on 5 years before you can apply for naturalization.... and note the restriction on time spent outside the Republic in any year counting towards that total....six weeks in any one year.

It's not quick or easy..... but it is possible. For any other EU state the requirement will be similar (or harder), with the added complication of a foreign language and a greater difference in customs.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Willsue is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I'm new here do forgive me if I am gate crashing.
I had some useful information from Red Eric about getting residency, I am British and I have a permanent residency card in Italy where I live, as it is from a member state will it help me in gaining permanent residency in Portugal as I read somewhere something about this ?
Many thanks

Last edited by Willsue; Sep 18th 2021 at 1:36 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Willsue
Hi I'm new here do forgive me if I am gate crashing.
I had some useful information from Red Eric about getting residency, I ma British,a I have a permanent residency card in Italy where I live, as it is from a member state will it help me in gaining residency in Portugal as I read somewhere something about this ?
Many thanks
Your Italian residency would not be of any relevance to Portugal, I'm afraid.
What matters is the status of a third country (UK) national.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SgtTroy
Your Italian residency would not be of any relevance to Portugal, I'm afraid.
What matters is the status of a third country (UK) national.
Ah, but, I think it is relevant because as already an EU Resident, I believe one is allowed to move ONCE ONLY to another EU country to take up residence there as if you were EU citizen (pre-Brexit WA giving you that right). But chose your country carefully, because the next move would class you as non-EU, having used up your one move allowed.
Perhaps the likes of RedEric or other knowledgeable person can clarify/confirm with chapter and verse? I may have got confused in all of this WA ...
Old Sep 18th 2021, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Ah, but, I think it is relevant because as already an EU Resident, I believe one is allowed to move ONCE ONLY to another EU country to take up residence there as if you were EU citizen (pre-Brexit WA giving you that right). But chose your country carefully, because the next move would class you as non-EU, having used up your one move allowed.
Perhaps the likes of RedEric or other knowledgeable person can clarify/confirm with chapter and verse? I may have got confused in all of this WA ...

4.6. I have permanent residence in the host State where I was born
and raised. I started studies in another EU Member State in
early 2020. Does the Withdrawal Agreement give me the right
to take a job in yet another EU Member State when I graduate?

No. The Withdrawal Agreement only protects your right to reside in those EU Member States in
which you were exercising your right to move and reside freely under EU law on 31 December
2020. This protected right to reside is maintained for as long as the conditions attached to its
continued existence are met
(for example, that you continue to have sufficient resources and
comprehensive sickness insurance or that you have not been absent for more than five years
where you have a right of permanent residence).
The Withdrawal Agreement does not confer any right to move to another EU Member State. You
would need to rely on other legislative instruments of national or EU law.
Attached Files
Old Sep 18th 2021, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Ah, but, I think it is relevant because as already an EU Resident, I believe one is allowed to move ONCE ONLY to another EU country to take up residence there as if you were EU citizen (pre-Brexit WA giving you that right).
Pre-Brexit agreement made no reference to that "right" as all UK citizens were still able to reside in any EU country, including moving between them, up until 31 December 2020.

That has changed since 31 December 2020.

If someone had had Italian residency, he could have applied for a Portuguese one before the end of 2020, and, if not content with Portugal, would still be able to return to Italy within 5 years (if permanent resident there), or within 6 months (if not permanent resident) of leaving it without loss of residence rights there (this right of UK citizens to return to the EU country of previous residence was part of the Agreement I think and it works in the same way for EU citizens in the UK).

Last edited by SgtTroy; Sep 18th 2021 at 3:50 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.