British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Residence permit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/residence-permit-946962/)

PiggyMalone Feb 2nd 2023 9:18 am

Residence permit

I understand it is more usual to apply for residency at the consulate before travelling to Portugal.

However, if we come on a 90-day tourist visa, will this be enough time to apply and get a residence permit?

Basically how long does the application take?

Thanks.

Red Eric Feb 2nd 2023 9:48 am

Re: Residence permit

You can't do it after arrival in Portugal, barring special exceptions.

Getting an appointment with SEF is extremely difficult at the moment, to understate it hugely, in any case. Without a visa clearing you for entry with a view to applying for a residence permit, the chances of getting an audience would be pretty much zero.

PiggyMalone Feb 2nd 2023 10:06 am

Thanks. But as a Brit and a non-EU, presumably I'd have to apply at a Portuguese consulate?

PJC61 Feb 2nd 2023 11:54 am

Originally Posted by PiggyMalone (Post 13170115)
Thanks. But as a Brit and a non-EU, presumably I'd have to apply at a Portuguese consulate?

Your first port of call is VFS Global who will handle your D7 (I assume) application.
They have offices in London, Manchester and Edinburgh so choose which ever is closest to you.
London VFS handle everything so no need for a consulate visit.
We went via Manchester where VFS only handled part of the application and the Portuguese consulate the rest but from what I have heard, VFS are now handling the whole application just like London.
I am not sure how Edinburgh work.
Once we had our D7 visa issued in late June, our SEF meeting was arranged for the end of September so pretty much bang on 3 months.

Red Eric Feb 2nd 2023 12:51 pm

Where you apply depends on where you are currently resident.

The OP shows his location as Poland, so the Portuguese Embassy in Warsaw should handle the application (see here : Where you should lodge a visa application )

Listen Very Carefully Feb 2nd 2023 2:19 pm

Do not confuse a Visa with a residency permit-basically a Visa lets you in to a country and the "permit" lets you stay with conditions depending on your situation
Once in the country you will then need to follow local procedures to get your "permit"
So where I live in France you apply for and get your Visa at the French embassy in the UK then on arrival you have to apply for a Titre de Sejour at the local prefecture.THe two procedures are similar in that you have to prove income etc but both are a requirement for a non EU
There is of course nothing to stop you coming on a scouting missions using your 90 days before you get a Visa

Rambling archer Feb 2nd 2023 7:08 pm

PiggyM - you need to clarify a couple of things - are you UK citizen or EU citizen ... there is a world of difference in applying for Residency these days since Brexit. Also are you moving from Poland, or are you based in UK? Are you working age or already receiving a pension?

PJC61 Feb 2nd 2023 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 13170145)
Where you apply depends on where you are currently resident.

The OP shows his location as Poland, so the Portuguese Embassy in Warsaw should handle the application (see here : Where you should lodge a visa application )

I missed the location as Poland, I just read 'as a Brit' and presumed they were UK based. Good spot.