British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Residence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/residence-939076/)

Eddie5425 Jun 15th 2021 7:54 am

Residence

My partner and I have been trying to get an appointment with VFS Global for six weeks now to register for Temporary residence in Portugal. The websites is either down or there are no appointments. We bought a house last year in August but what with a hip replacement in September for her and covid could not do more or travelling.
Has anyone experience of applying for temporary residence post Brexit in Portugal from a tourist visa. SEF tell me it must be done in London before travel. If we travel to organise stuff in August for a week we will only have 26 days under the 90 day rule left when we return to Portugal with our belongings in a van in October.
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks
Eddie

andywally Jun 15th 2021 9:13 am

Re: Residence

Hiya Eddie

We had a few issues with VFS ourselves, the software on the VFS website allows you to make a dual application in the 'add another applicant' box, however this does not work, you need to apply seperately, and then hope that there are two appointments available on the same day at the same location, we went to the Manchester one on the basis that the parking was easier then going into London.............and we lived in Nottingham anyway so it was closer.

From then on it was pretty straight forward, almost 'casual' if you like..............the appt at VFS was a doddle, park around the corner to the left of the office block for about £3, then when you have done its into Manchester, 1 Portland place I think, big modern glass building on a corner, consulate on the first floor, parking on the street 100yrds away behind a pub.............it was I have to say extremely easy......................just apply seperately for the appt at VFS.

Cheers
Andy.

andywally Jun 15th 2021 9:24 am

Oh..................and yes it does need to be done here before you leave the UK.

Cheers
Andy.

riv Jun 15th 2021 9:28 am

Andy can you pl clarify what visa exactly you applied for via VFS ?

What is the designation in Portuguese and / or English of the VISA ? And what does it permit the holder to do in terms of duration of stay in Portugal and for what purpose ?

I was advised ( not by vfs ) to apply for a Visto de Estada Temporária. But could not find any category relating to this on the VFS site. And emails to VFS ended up with either no or circular replues ( referring me back to the VFS site )

So I would really be pleased to learn the detail of what Visa you actually obtained and what it permits you to do.

andywally Jun 15th 2021 2:04 pm

'long term stay' I think it said............VFS was only like a clearing hub used by numerous countries in the same building, so basically it is subbed out to a private company ( as I understand it ) then once they have copied your passport, taken your photo and fingerprints etc ( at VFS ) they send you to the actual embassy in the city centre to sort it out properly.

Like I said it went as smooth as could have been expected.............or better actually.

andywally Jun 15th 2021 2:08 pm

however we did have to have proof of finances, DBS checks, letter of invitaion from friends there, global health insurance cards, etc, to sustain our long term ability to maintain ourselves as it is going to be a permanent move for us.................. all I can say is go through the VFS process and the kids at the embassy could not be any more helpful.

andywally Jun 15th 2021 2:11 pm

as far as I am aware its a cut and dried case of stick with the 90 in any rolling 180 rule...................or move your finances and life to Portugal, which is the option that we have taken............hance the 'long term stay' application............. I have been wrong before though :-)

Eddie5425 Jun 16th 2021 6:56 am

Finally got an appointment in the afternoon yesterday the website went live and appointments were available !!!

andywally Jun 16th 2021 8:12 am

ehhhh.................nice one, good luck

appman999 Jun 20th 2021 12:29 pm

The VFS website has two categories of visa for Portugal, 1. Short Stay or 2. National Visa (which I believe is also called Long Stay)

The National Visa has two categories 1. Residence or 2. Temporary Stay

The temporary stay visa is intended to allow entry for stays in Portugal for a period of less than one year. This is valid for the duration of the stay and for multiple entries into national territory.

The visa for obtaining a residence permit is valid for two entries and for four months, during which time the holder must apply to the Foreigners and Borders Service for a residence permit .

appman999 Jun 20th 2021 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by andywally (Post 13017837)
'long term stay' I think it said............VFS was only like a clearing hub used by numerous countries in the same building, so basically it is subbed out to a private company ( as I understand it ) then once they have copied your passport, taken your photo and fingerprints etc ( at VFS ) they send you to the actual embassy in the city centre to sort it out properly.

Like I said it went as smooth as could have been expected.............or better actually.

What happened after your appointment with VFS, did you immediately go to the Portuguese Embassy?

I got the impression from the VFS website that after the appointment (where you leave your passport) you have to wait while the visa is processed and then your passport is posted back to you?

andywally Jun 22nd 2021 7:59 am

Hiya
We went straight to the consulate, and VFS did not keep our passports, we took them with us and we still have them, we will post them to our case handler at the consulate when he is ready to stamp our visa, and he will post them back to us (apparently..............sounds simple lets hope it is !!)

appman999 Jun 22nd 2021 8:16 am

The Manchester Consulate website says they are processing National visas but this is not repeated on the London website (which is where we are applying)?

What was the purpose of the visit to the consulate if you didn't leave your passport and VFS did all the admin?

We have booked our VFS appointment in London in July (and for us the add another applicant worked) but they do talk about them posting back our passports?

I guess all will be revealed!

toots sweet Jun 22nd 2021 9:51 am

Has the Consulate :thumbdown:adopted any kind of appointment scheme yet or is it still turn up and hope for the best. Last time we went we had turn up and wait,and wait etc. No tickets available ,so people were trying to jump the queue. Would have thought maybe an appointment time given due to covid?

appman999 Jun 22nd 2021 10:50 am

Don't know I'm afraid, haven't got past VFS yet (I see they now have no appointments for the next 3 months!)