Reload this Page >

Renting apartment in Porto

Renting apartment in Porto

Old Sep 13th 2017, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Afrique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renting apartment in Porto

Hi
I think its always good to get to know the area first, so Airbnb would be a good start. I haven't rented here in Portugal, so can't help on that, but I would say that the rental agreement will of course be in Portuguese, but I am sure you could get it translated to check it out first.I understand and speak a little Portuguese, but my wife is fluent so it helps. I have never had a language problem here, it's been hard for me to learn but people are very patient and helpful.
Good Luck
Old Sep 13th 2017, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Not that Sao Bento. The one in the old city center. The parish is called Cedofeita but the vibe is in the area of Sao Bento within it. Here. https://www.idealista.pt/arrendar-casas/porto/mapa
Old Sep 13th 2017, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Look what you can get for €600 in Viana do Castelo 80km south of Porto compared to Porto. Completely furnished as well. https://www.idealista.pt/imovel/26958841/
Old Sep 26th 2017, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

fizzyfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I would second the recommendation for Vila Nova de Gaia. I've lived here on and off for 18months now, work depending, up by the Holiday Inn. It's a lot more residential over this side of the river, and I end up hearing a lot more Portuguese, rather than the French and English that you hear in the more touristy centre, which can only help my attempts to master this crazy language! :-)
Old Oct 7th 2017, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

callumalden is an unknown quantity at this point

Same(ish) situation here. W're currently living near Coimbra but looking for a long-term let anywhere with easy access to Porto (ie. a train station). Is it a 'done thing' here to reach out to an estate agent and request they keep an eye out?

So many letting websites show out of date ads or don't reply, even when we write to them in delightfully broken and apologetic Portuguese!

Any thought about the area around Aveiro folks?
Old Oct 7th 2017, 11:59 am
Ton
Just Joined

Ton has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, writing emails to estate agents will rarely get you anywhere.

Pick up the phone in the first instance and see if you are able to converse in English. Most branches will have at least one English speaking member of staff.

Better yet, visit branches in person and ask to see the properties they currently have available. Rental property moves fast here so don't hang around, the best properties are only on the market for a few days.

We found it a nightmare but got there eventually.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ukkram
Look what you can get for €600 in Viana do Castelo 80km south of Porto compared to Porto. Completely furnished as well. https://www.idealista.pt/imovel/26958841/
South? Ukram, I think you need to turn your map round as it must be upside down!
Old Oct 10th 2017, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gedscottish
South? Ukram, I think you need to turn your map round as it must be upside down!
Must have had a beer too many that caused my world to go upside down.