Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

rent-to-rent in Portugal

rent-to-rent in Portugal

Old Oct 14th 2019, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

AGRE is an unknown quantity at this point
Post rent-to-rent in Portugal

I`m exploring the opportunity of rent-to-rent business in Portugal and would be grateful for any assistance on the following topic.

Much appreciated would be reference to any comprehensive documentation/ explanation regarding rent-to-rent subletting of the apartment applicable for Portugal. Was wondering what are the restrictions when renting out an apartment via (from) a letting agency on a long-term basis (12 months+) for this apartment to be further sublet on a short term basis, i.e. via airbnb.

In particular, following are of the high interest:

1) As per general understanding - the principal landlord does need to provide a consent for such an approach. Was wondering if it would be sufficient, if is stipulated in the long-term rental agreement.
Also, if the apartment was within the block of apartments, could any 'residents / freeholder/ any other kind of agreement' restrict subletting?

2) I have also heard that in some parts of the world entire apartment cannot be sublet, but only part of it. What is the situation with Portugal?

3) Furthermore, regarding the licensing laws - I have heard that short-term / airbnb properties do need to be licensed (common sense), was wondering what if such rules are same in different regions within the country, or will wary (i.e. laws in Faro same as in Porto?) Also, what would be the advised source to get the hands on it?

Insurance, management, maintenance, etc is to be thought about at a later stage!
Old Oct 14th 2019, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rent-to-rent in Portugal

Are you serious?
I'd be genuinely surprised if anyone anywhere allowed you to do as you suggest.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute

So you are an an online forum and asking detailed questions about property, finance and law? Moon on a stick anyone? your business plan has already failed and it looks like you haven't started yet. If you want real answers to those type of questions the go to the correct people and PAY them
Old Oct 16th 2019, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Oh thank you both for most encouraging answers.
Is there anyone knowledgeable whom it is possible with to have a meaningful conversation regarding that topic, or who, as outlined in the initial post, is able to suggest any references to comprehensive documentation?
Old Oct 16th 2019, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

This is an expat forum ,not a legal advice centre!
We don't know the answers. You need professional PAID help.............as previously advised.
You have also sought advice on other forums and received the same answer. Unfortunately advice such as that you are seeking isn't free............
Personally I wouldn't even consider renting my property out in such a way and I guess many others would feel the same way.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by toots sweet
This is an expat forum ,not a legal advice centre!
We don't know the answers. You need professional PAID help.............as previously advised.
You have also sought advice on other forums and received the same answer. Unfortunately advice such as that you are seeking isn't free............
Personally I wouldn't even consider renting my property out in such a way and I guess many others would feel the same way.
So whom, from your opinion, would you recommend speaking with to address the questions?
Old Oct 16th 2019, 11:08 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AGRE
So whom, from your opinion, would you recommend speaking with to address the questions?
As a landlord myself (although straight leases, not rent to rent) my first port of call to learn about the legislation governing my business was official websites of the relevant bodies, usually government departments.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute

If you are seeking legal advice - as in what does your Portuguese law say about doing this - possibly a Portuguese Lawyer. Your interwebs searchings will bring up some for you but if that is too difficult here is a random link to some.

https://advocateabroad.com/lawyers/portugal/

Last edited by coleio; Oct 16th 2019 at 12:23 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I'd skip the lawyers for now, and ask an estate agent.
Because I'm 99% sure you can't do it, and the agents will tell you;
At the very least, you'd have to have written permission from the property owner.
And you'll never get it.