Reload this Page >

relocating to the algarve

relocating to the algarve

Old Feb 9th 2020, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

rezzer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default relocating to the algarve

Hello,

I am a painter and decorator in the uk. I run my own decorating company and work to the highest standards. I am thinking of relocating to the argarve with my family. can anyone please tell me if there is a lot of work there.

Thank you,

Ron.

Last edited by Rosemary; Feb 9th 2020 at 3:32 pm. Reason: removed advert aspect. Please read the rules.
Old Feb 9th 2020, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: relocating to the algarve

Bring a truck full of paint, the price of it here is eye watering!
Old Feb 9th 2020, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

hi thanks for reply..ru are a painter
Old Feb 9th 2020, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

nigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nice

A few disjointed thoughts.

Unless you speak Portuguese you’ll be restricted to the expat market. Many people who want to move to Portugal say at this point: of course I’ll learn Portuguese. It’s a difficult language, and I doubt if 10% of Brits who’ve been in Portugal 5-10 years or more could write a letter or deal with a government office in Portuguese. I’ve no evidence to back this up, just observation.

Salaries are modest. 100 euros a day? – many will work for less.

If you have a family then you need to be completely legal. A lot of people get by ‘on the black’ but if you have kids to educate…

I hope this doesn’t sound too negative – others may give you a jollier scenario.
Old Feb 9th 2020, 4:51 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nigel.b
A few disjointed thoughts.

Unless you speak Portuguese you’ll be restricted to the expat market. Many people who want to move to Portugal say at this point: of course I’ll learn Portuguese. It’s a difficult language, and I doubt if 10% of Brits who’ve been in Portugal 5-10 years or more could write a letter or deal with a government office in Portuguese. I’ve no evidence to back this up, just observation.

Salaries are modest. 100 euros a day? – many will work for less.

If you have a family then you need to be completely legal. A lot of people get by ‘on the black’ but if you have kids to educate…

I hope this doesn’t sound too negative – others may give you a jollier scenario.
I'd agree with this. I no longer have to work, so I can't speak to your wn situation, but whilst relocating "to the sun" may seem a ice idea, most people do it when they are not reliant on working - and for good reasons.

- You don't say your age or anything about your family..... this has a huge bearing on the impact and costs of moving abroad.

- You don't say whether your idea is to buy or rent a property. This can impact your options.

- Unless you speak very good Portuguese, you will be at a disadvantage , not just in gaining customers but also in dealing with the bureaucracy. There's a big difference in "getting by" as an expat and actually trying to sell yourself as a contractor.

- Then you have the issue of registering as self-employed in Portugal - as has been said, people can work "on the black", but the Portuguese government is very aware of this and have put rules in place to make it difficult.

- Then, in terms of the work available - ask yourself why a Portuguese would employ you over a fellow national, particularly when you have no reputation at all in Portugal. If sticking with the expats, you are still up against the greater local experience of existing decorators (as both methods of construction and the paints available are different to the UK).

- Then, labour rates are far lower in Portugal than in the UK... whereas you may be looking at costs for education, healthcare, etc. which will make any differences in living costs more marginal.....

I'm sorry if all this sounds very negative. I don't know why you are considering relocation, why you've chosen Portugal, whether you have funds to live on until you "make good" or any other factors - but unless you have experience of living and working in Portugal, I'd say you will be well out of your depth for some time and will need to spend considerable time and money settling your family before you see any possible benefit.

Coming on your own to see if it pans out is one thing...... bringing your family is another, so think long and hard about the possible impact.

Last edited by macliam; Feb 9th 2020 at 5:39 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2020, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rezzer
Hello,

I am a painter and decorator in the uk. I run my own decorating company and work to the highest standards. I am thinking of relocating to the argarve with my family. can anyone please tell me if there is a lot of work there.

Thank you,

Ron.
Ron, you would, of corse, be welcomed in this lovely country. Brits do come and make a living, but it would be hard, as you are up against a low wage, high unemployment economy; the expat population would be more likely to consider your services, but will not pay more than they would for local tradesman - and how does 10 euros an hour sound to you?

Can you ease into the country, as it were, by returning to the UK to earn money, whilst perhaps building up work here? If the move did not work out, you would still have a UK work base to return to.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Diddion
Ron, you would, of corse, be welcomed in this lovely country. Brits do come and make a living, but it would be hard, as you are up against a low wage, high unemployment economy; the expat population would be more likely to consider your services, but will not pay more than they would for local tradesman - and how does 10 euros an hour sound to you?

Can you ease into the country, as it were, by returning to the UK to earn money, whilst perhaps building up work here? If the move did not work out, you would still have a UK work base to return to.
Hi,
I never caught your name. Thank you for your advice. The wages do seem a little low. I do have a very successful business in Scotland established over the last 2o years and was hard to get where I am. maybe be a good idea to work maybe some of the winter months for clients in Portugal who have holiday lets that need painted. That way im would keep my business here and work part time In Portugal.Myself and family love Portugul the place and people are great.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Hi guys,

thank you for all your advice and opinions...wish I was there right now but there is a lot to thionk about
Old Feb 11th 2020, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Ironically there used to be a poster here called Ronnie The Painter (Ron) from Scotland and he was looking for work in Portugal (Algarve). Could it be the same person and what happened to Ron in the end?
Old Feb 11th 2020, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

I am not the same Ron....whoever he is hope he made it.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rezzer
Hi,

I am not the same Ron....whoever he is hope he made it.
....and had so much work he could hardly cope!