Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Reinvestment after sale of property

Reinvestment after sale of property

Old Sep 17th 2021, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reinvestment after sale of property

Originally Posted by TonyJ1
This is an old principle, however this is largely being superseded largely by agreement. I do have first hand knowledge of this and therefore forget the old general rule. The Portuguese tax authorities don't use this but stick to tax agreements, and effectively it is the local revenue authorities that do collect the debts through its own systems. This is the case in Europe - I have no knowledge of US etc - but if the Poster has, say, pensions due from the UK, it will be enforced through HMRC.
I'm not disputing that at all.

I have read somewhere few months ago that as a matter of fact HMRC does not always respond to all requests for cooperation.

There might be a relevance threshold, there might be reciprocity issues, lots of other factors as well.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SgtTroy
If you sell in 2021, you pay the CGT due with your 2021 declaracao.
If you buy anything within 36 months, you would be due a refund.

AT would not wait for you for 36 months to only then collect the tax due
It cant work like that, surely.....if you declared that your intention was to make a reinvestment and AT does not want to know what % you intend to reinvest, then you would be taxed at a much higher rate. That would decrease your ability to make a reinvestment.??
Old Sep 17th 2021, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Dafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really nice
Smile Re: Reinvestment after sale of property

Originally Posted by TonyJ1
Even if the poster did a runner, unless he had no banking account, no pension, etc and kept the proceeds under the bed, the AT will likely get him - lot's of agreements for assistance in collecting tax debts - and the AT do do use these agreements. Probably safe if he emigrated to NK or similar
My post was strictly hypothetical by the way !
Portugal, despite all the bureaucratic nonsense, is a good place to live, and I wouldn,t dream of returning to UK in any case.
Having lost the roll over gain to a UK property agreement, this must have had a profound effect on some who had planned to return at some point, considering the spiraling costs of UK property.
I know that in years gone by, if you were a non resident and sold property in Portugal, the lawyer involved in the sale would normally withold the estimated CGT amount pending a demand from AT.
A friend of mine waited 4 years for his lawyer to release a tax deposit that was never claimed by AT.
Whether the same rules apply now, I don,t know, but after a hard...ish Brexit, it would be interesting to know what co-operation agreements still stand, and which don,t
Old Sep 17th 2021, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

The agreements are OECD model, not EU ones.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

TonyJ1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SgtTroy
I'm not disputing that at all.

I have read somewhere few months ago that as a matter of fact HMRC does not always respond to all requests for cooperation.

There might be a relevance threshold, there might be reciprocity issues, lots of other factors as well.
All I know is that this has been used with HMRC, and with at least one Nordic country. In the case of the UK, in at least one case the values were less than €10,000
Old Sep 17th 2021, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dafty
My post was strictly hypothetical by the way !
Portugal, despite all the bureaucratic nonsense, is a good place to live, and I wouldn,t dream of returning to UK in any case.
Having lost the roll over gain to a UK property agreement, this must have had a profound effect on some who had planned to return at some point, considering the spiraling costs of UK property.
I know that in years gone by, if you were a non resident and sold property in Portugal, the lawyer involved in the sale would normally withold the estimated CGT amount pending a demand from AT.
A friend of mine waited 4 years for his lawyer to release a tax deposit that was never claimed by AT.
Whether the same rules apply now, I don,t know, but after a hard...ish Brexit, it would be interesting to know what co-operation agreements still stand, and which don,t
If the lawyer held the money, it was not under any law, but he could have done so if he was the fiscal representative and wanted to make sure that there were no hidden tax liabilities. However the real reason is probably 'other'.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wellinever
It cant work like that, surely.....if you declared that your intention was to make a reinvestment and AT does not want to know what % you intend to reinvest, then you would be taxed at a much higher rate. That would decrease your ability to make a reinvestment.??
If you intend to reinvest, the capital gain is suspended - it is the taxpayers declaration. If no declaration is made, then the Tax authority will issue a tax declaration and it will be under the assumption that there will be no reinvestment. If a declaration was made of the intention to reinvest and if it is not carried out, the returns will have to be substituted and interest will be due on taxes not maid
Old Sep 17th 2021, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

OK, that is what I assume MUST happen, or if one decided to make a reinvestment bigger than the sale, then Tax would be Nada. But if some money was being held `in trust` by the AT then that reinvestment +, couldn`t take place, without even more dosh being pumped in.
Its bad enough that they give with one hand but take away with the other (ie IMT paid on reinvestment purchase)
Question is exactly when will house prices tumble??? Buy now or later in 3 years time?? 64K question as always, never a good time to both buy and sell.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wellinever
OK, that is what I assume MUST happen, or if one decided to make a reinvestment bigger than the sale, then Tax would be Nada. But if some money was being held `in trust` by the AT then that reinvestment +, couldn`t take place, without even more dosh being pumped in.
Its bad enough that they give with one hand but take away with the other (ie IMT paid on reinvestment purchase)
Question is exactly when will house prices tumble??? Buy now or later in 3 years time?? 64K question as always, never a good time to both buy and sell.
If I could see through the looking glass, I would be a millionaire.
The tax authority does not hold money in trust.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

LOL....just as well. But with ECB printing stopping and inflation rises imminent, interest rates increases cant be too far behind, not just in PT of course
Old Sep 17th 2021, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Hardly anyone could predict the direction of the property market.

Furthermore, a house is a place to live in and feel comfortable, not means of speculation.

I would imagine that with the end of the moratorium there would be some reduction in the prices, but again - on what sort of properties...
Old Sep 17th 2021, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

IF you're under nhr cgt is waivered iirc, so if after 8 or 9 years you have made a substantial capital gain on your property price would it be beneficial to lock that gain in, buy another property within the 3 years at same value, then if you need to sell the gain will be much smaller iyswim, or is this loop hole closed?
Old Sep 17th 2021, 8:21 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg
IF you're under nhr cgt is waivered iirc, so if after 8 or 9 years you have made a substantial capital gain on your property price would it be beneficial to lock that gain in, buy another property within the 3 years at same value, then if you need to sell the gain will be much smaller iyswim, or is this loop hole closed?
It never existed, if you're talking about gains on PT property.

Under NHR, capital gains on the sale of foreign properties are exempt from PT CGT. Properties situated in Portugal are subject to PT CGT on sale, even if one has NHR status.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh that is news to me 😳

Ok the 2nd part of my query remains, say you realise that gain

Eg buy something 300k sell 500k 8 yrs later then
Buy something 500k then sell 500k a year later

Whats the cgt situation then?
Old Sep 17th 2021, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dingg
Ahh that is news to me 😳

Ok the 2nd part of my query remains, say you realise that gain

Eg buy something 300k sell 500k 8 yrs later then
Buy something 500k then sell 500k a year later

Whats the cgt situation then?
200K gain on the first sale, 0 gain on the second?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.