Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Registering my UK driving licence

Registering my UK driving licence

Old Aug 21st 2013, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

daisyman1951 will become famous soon enough
Default Registering my UK driving licence

What are the upsides/downsides to doing this, ignoring costs?
Old Aug 21st 2013, 7:26 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering my UK driving licence

Until you are resident I would not even worry about it.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

thank you, as always I appreciate your advice. But still I'm curious.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

tombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nice

Daisy. Take one thing at a time.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Just an "eager beaver", age doesn't blunt enthusiasm with me
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light

Once you are living here I would highly recommend it as if you get caught with out your piece of paper you will get a minimum fine.

Speaking from experience!
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Re: Registering my UK driving licence

When we came here, got a form of the AFPOP website, filled in all the details, sent two copies + two copies of licence to the IMT in Faro, they keep a copy and send you a stamped copy back.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Chopper, I hear driving schools will do this for a fee. Did you have to send any money with the forms?
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all

There is no charge for registering your UK licence, the driving schools will get you a PT licence.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

If in Tavira do you need to go to Faro or can this be done at the Citade in the Plaza?
Old Aug 24th 2013, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

To register your UK driving licence you must go through the IMTT in Faro, the city shop in the Tavira Plaza does have the paperwork for PT driving licences as we renewed ours there, you fill in a form, pay them a fee and they send everything to the IMTT the same as the driving schools do.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Bit off subject, I still have a UK licence and kind of glad I do! I pulled out of a parking space the other day to let someone else in who was waiting with the mobile phone at my ear. Mr GNR unfortunatly decided to pull me over, he told me if I had a PT licence I would have lost if for a month or so!!

I have never registered it ever and been stopped loads of times and no problem, I think I have been very lucky from what I hear about others though?!
Old Aug 25th 2013, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Did you get fined anyway?
Old Aug 26th 2013, 9:27 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Leglly if Resident you shouldat least register your UK license.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Please see
http://portugal.angloinfo.com/transp...ence-exchange/

Through various forums the advice seemed to be that you must register your licence within 60 days of becoming resident (that is after 3 months of arriving in Pt) No one has indicated that you must exchange your licence for a Pt licence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.