Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Registering with health service

Registering with health service

Old Dec 9th 2020, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Registering with health service

Visited today the health centre in Portimão, hoping to register in the health service.
Got to an advisor pretty quickly then the guy said I need to do it online, giving me a slip of paper with the email to send various document scans and details to.

If someone could advise and/or confirm what certain documents are , I'd be very grateful.

The listed documents to send :

- (ID document - e.g. Passport- OK )

- comprovativo de no. beneficario da segurança - Proof of social security number (?) (Guy seemed to mean that this is from previous country of residence- so my Italian number- correct? )

- comprovativo de numero Identificação Fiscal - My NIF number here. (currently Non-resident as I have yet to make an appointment to change its status to Resident : is this advisable before I submit this health registration? )

-Documento S.E.F. ( manifestação de interesse atè 18-03-2020 ) - Not really sure what this could be. Ideas?

- Attestado de residencia (camara municipal/junta de fregusia) - I assume this is my residency Certificate

All feedback greatly appreciated.

Old Dec 9th 2020, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

ShazD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Registering with health service

Hi Campos. We were trying to do the same today in Lagos. We've to go back at 5pm with the various documents.
Here is a list of the documents they requested from us:
Certificado de Registo de Cicadas da Union European
Valid Passport
NIF
NISS- Numerous de Identification de Seguranca Social
Proof of address.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Seems different things are required of us. Or different names . What's intended by "Cicadas" ?
Old Dec 9th 2020, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campos
Seems different things are required of us. Or different names . What's intended by "Cicadas" ?
I think it should be Cidadão, as in Certificado do Registo de Cidadão da União Europeia.

Last edited by Bomber Harris; Dec 9th 2020 at 3:09 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

ShazD is an unknown quantity at this point

BomberHarris is right. It is my stupid auto correct on my phone! Sorry.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Visited today the health centre in Portimão, hoping to register in the health service.
Got to an advisor pretty quickly then the guy said I need to do it online, giving me a slip of paper with the email to send various document scans and details to.

If someone could advise and/or confirm what certain documents are , I'd be very grateful.

The listed documents to send :

- (ID document - e.g. Passport- OK )

- comprovativo de no. beneficario da segurança - Proof of social security number (?) (Guy seemed to mean that this is from previous country of residence- so my Italian number- correct? )

- comprovativo de numero Identificação Fiscal - My NIF number here. (currently Non-resident as I have yet to make an appointment to change its status to Resident : is this advisable before I submit this health registration? )

-Documento S.E.F. ( manifestação de interesse atè 18-03-2020 ) - Not really sure what this could be. Ideas?

- Attestado de residencia (camara municipal/junta de fregusia) - I assume this is my residency Certificate

All feedback greatly appreciated.
You need to get your residencia sorted first, and then register at the Centro do Saude.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BillBullock
You need to get your residencia sorted first, and then register at the Centro do Saude.
I already have residency .
I visited health centre today who advised as above - register online. I'm just asking here for clarity on the documents/numbers specified by them.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

I already have residency .
I visited health centre today who advised as above - register online. I'm just asking here for clarity on the documents/numbers specified by them.
When you said "currently Non-resident" you confused me.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BillBullock
When you said "currently Non-resident" you confused me.
Yes, apologies. I was referring to my NIF. (Another thing I'm trying to wrangle with - to convert it to 'resident'. Portimao finanças told me today that they aren't giving out appointments before Jan 21)
Old Dec 10th 2020, 7:40 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see that you're required to present all the items on your list. Unless I'm behind the times or reading things wrong, one of them is dispensed with under some circumstances and 2 of the rest are mutually exclusive.

I would say almost certainly not correct. They'd be wanting a PT SS number if you're required to have one. However, you're not required to have any dealings with Social Security here unless you're working or otherwise obliged to make SS contributions OR you're registering a S1 from another EU member state. If you're not working / intending to work / setting up a business etc and you're not pensioned off, there's no requirement for the SS number.

This is the column from a flowchart published by the health authority showing the steps for registering EU citizens in the health service. Assuming you're not a posted worker or a student etc, then you'd be in the permanent residence category :

ACCESS TO HEALTH CARE BY FOREIGN CITIZENS

I can't see there being any sort of check between the two institutions so I'd say it's immaterial in terms of effecting the enrolment in the health service.

This is the pair that are mutually exclusive.

You're required to apply at the SEF if a non EU citizen and the Câmara if EU so you can only provide one or the other. No point explaining in detail about the SEF requirement but the bit in brackets relates to temporary special dispensation for non EU citizens due to Covid. For you as an EU citizen, as per the chart above, yes, it's your Câmara-issued residence certificate.

Old Dec 10th 2020, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

I have an SNS number, wrongly given to me 15 years ago, when I took out temp residency.
At that time I was neither working nor in receipt of any pension, and importantly did not have a SS number, nevertheless was given an SNS number. I still have the original paper document.
I used the SNS on a few occasions whilst in Portugal but only for monthly blood checks (pin prick) for which I paid the normal SNS costs.
That residencia was lost when I returned to UK in 2010. (as in I did not renew it) and so it expired.
However I have still returned to Portugal every winter and ever since have continued to go along to the C de S for the monthly check (so 5 a year) and still pay the SNS amount of €0.80, as the alternative was to have a full blood test done in the arm for the same test (INR)

No longer resident (but weighing up the options at the moment), have appointment booked for 21st to make application for residency again)
Well now I am a UK pensioner in receipt of UK pensions. and so have applied for a and received an S1 form.

The question is where do I take that for correct registrationi?
If I take it to the SS they will not find a SS number for me, and if they find me at all the address will be wrong.
Or do I take it to the Centro de Saude for them to register it against my SNS number which I know exists on their system, as on the odd occasions I have used it for blood test this year (pre covid, as I dont like going there now) so do get it done privately at local Aqualab

Not sure where I fit on Reds list above.........

Old Dec 10th 2020, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I can't see that you're required to present all the items on your list. Unless I'm behind the times or reading things wrong, one of them is dispensed with under some circumstances and 2 of the rest are mutually exclusive.

I would say almost certainly not correct. They'd be wanting a PT SS number if you're required to have one. However, you're not required to have any dealings with Social Security here unless you're working or otherwise obliged to make SS contributions OR you're registering a S1 from another EU member state. If you're not working / intending to work / setting up a business etc and you're not pensioned off, there's no requirement for the SS number.

This is the column from a flowchart published by the health authority showing the steps for registering EU citizens in the health service. Assuming you're not a posted worker or a student etc, then you'd be in the permanent residence category :

ACCESS TO HEALTH CARE BY FOREIGN CITIZENS

I can't see there being any sort of check between the two institutions so I'd say it's immaterial in terms of effecting the enrolment in the health service.

This is the pair that are mutually exclusive.

You're required to apply at the SEF if a non EU citizen and the Câmara if EU so you can only provide one or the other. No point explaining in detail about the SEF requirement but the bit in brackets relates to temporary special dispensation for non EU citizens due to Covid. For you as an EU citizen, as per the chart above, yes, it's your Câmara-issued residence certificate.
Thanks RedEric. Great info.
As I haven't retired and will hopefully be working here, It looks like I'll need an S1 from Italy, where I lived before moving here.
I don't recall being given this form in Italy in the past but I could have, and it's stashed with all my other papers in storage - in Italy at the moment!
For the others on the list it seems I'm OK.
Old Dec 10th 2020, 12:26 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

As I haven't retired and will hopefully be working here, It looks like I'll need an S1 from Italy, where I lived before moving here.
I don't recall being given this form in Italy in the past but I could have, and it's stashed with all my other papers in storage - in Italy at the moment!
Under which circumstances it's almost certainly not a form you would have or could obtain. It's really only relevant to pensioners and other people with eligible exportable benefits.

You would either register as neither working nor in receipt of pension (thus without the need for a PT social security number) or as registered with PT social security on account of your intention to work. I'm not sure about the sequencing of the latter, though - in particular whether SS would ask for evidence of employment / independent worker status or existence of business prior to issuing a document.
Old Dec 10th 2020, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Under which circumstances it's almost certainly not a form you would have or could obtain. It's really only relevant to pensioners and other people with eligible exportable benefits.

You would either register as neither working nor in receipt of pension (thus without the need for a PT social security number) or as registered with PT social security on account of your intention to work. I'm not sure about the sequencing of the latter, though - in particular whether SS would ask for evidence of employment / independent worker status or existence of business prior to issuing a document.
Oh I see. So it's not something like the N.I. number we all get in the UK...? (Maybe that's more akin to the NIF...)
I can see how it might not be necessary for me , under the criteria you outline. At the moment I'm living off capital from my property sale, not working, not drawing pension etc.
Edit(Though I did draw unemployment for some summers while in Italy... If it's not done here, they are not interested?)

Last edited by campos; Dec 10th 2020 at 1:08 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2020, 1:14 pm
Polished expat

In your situation, I'd say you'd register without a SS number and get your records updated if / when you do obtain one. At the moment, it appears you're not in a position to be issued one and therefore shouldn't apply for it or be required to supply it for enrolment in the health service.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.