Reload this Page >

Registering with health service

Registering with health service

Old Dec 11th 2020, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Registering with health service

Originally Posted by campos
Yes, apologies. I was referring to my NIF. (Another thing I'm trying to wrangle with - to convert it to 'resident'. Portimao finanças told me today that they aren't giving out appointments before Jan 21)
Try Albufeira
Old Dec 11th 2020, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Well I just arranged to see the SS in Silves and the earliest that can first me in is 23rd Dec. Camera appointment was booked a week ago and the first they could see me was 21st Dec.
Old Dec 11th 2020, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 12th 2020, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

J00ls is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you considered having a word with an Accountant before you change your NIF address? Just a thought....
Old Dec 13th 2020, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J00ls
Have you considered having a word with an Accountant before you change your NIF address? Just a thought....
To be honest I hadn't. I was of the understanding that any CGT liability would be avoided if a property abroad (Italy in my case) is sold before registering residency here. Do you have reason to think that changing my NIF to resident status will adversely affect my situation?
Old Dec 13th 2020, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

I really don't want to claim any special knowledge here, I can only tell you that our accountant advised that unless we want to be tax resident in PT for 2020, wait till 2021 to change the NIF - and offload any major CGT liabilities beforehand - ie., before Dec 31st. Of course everyone is different so I don't want to cause alarm to anyone - just to say we were really glad we spoke to him before we did anything else. Remember - tax year here in PT is Jan-Dec. We really wished we had seen an accountant first of all - rather than a Solicitor.
Old Dec 13th 2020, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks
i had thought i was ok re. tax, esp. CGT, liability. Now you've planted a seed of concern
I can see that waiting another couple of weeks till this year's over might be desirable. Although As I've already got residency , i concluded that Changing NIF status would not now have any effect.
Maybe an accountant consultation wouldn't do any harm.
Old Dec 13th 2020, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

As it is your residency date that influences your tax residency, as far as I know the important bit of paper is the Residency certificate and since you now already have that (and it does have your residency address in Portugal of course, the actual changing of the address in the Financas website won't change that so if you were resident in 2020 and intending to stay, then the year of starting tax residency (and NHR if applicable) has to be the year of residency document. Trying to leave it now to 2021 sounds a) not feasible, and b) not advisable. If the property in Italy was your principal residence, until your move to Portugal, then normally there would be no CGT on it anyway? It is recognised that you have to live somewhere before and after the move, so if any taxes are due on the sale of the property in Italy they should only be due in Italy (even if yo had to be in temporary accommodation in your home country of UK for a brief period while making the move... Also as UK citizens you will surely meet more complications by being non-EU citizens in 2021, than simply moving as EU citizens AND from one EU country to another in 2020.
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but thats how it seemed to us.
Old Dec 13th 2020, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

According to the general tax law you have to notify a change of address to the tax authorities within 60 days.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Good to know about the 60 days - although it should not be a problem for us. So many new things to negotiate it seems - which is why its good to speak to experts (and I don't purport to be one). As already mentioned above by Rambling Archer, Campos should not have any issues if Italy was his home and main residence. I think that seems to be the same throughout the Eu - that we have found so far anyway. I can only say that for our part, we really regret not speaking to an accountant in Portugal a whole lot earlier.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Sri Pete is an unknown quantity at this point

I was granted Portuguese residency in 2019 and am now trying to register at my local health centre in Porto. In the flowchart that was posted here (thanks Red Eric!) I believe I fit in the rightmost column of the first block. That is "Permanent Residence" and "Not listed in any SSS of a member state". I have taken my Certificate of Residency and my passport to the health centre, but the person I am dealing with there insists that I need to provide an EHIC (European Health Identity Card) in addition. I do not have an EHIC and have no way of obtaining one. I have searched online extensively to determine what should be required only to find confusing and contradictory claims. Has anyone else here been in this situation? Or have any suggestion on how to proceed?
Old Feb 15th 2021, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sri Pete
I was granted Portuguese residency in 2019 and am now trying to register at my local health centre in Porto. In the flowchart that was posted here (thanks Red Eric!) I believe I fit in the rightmost column of the first block. That is "Permanent Residence" and "Not listed in any SSS of a member state". I have taken my Certificate of Residency and my passport to the health centre, but the person I am dealing with there insists that I need to provide an EHIC (European Health Identity Card) in addition. I do not have an EHIC and have no way of obtaining one. I have searched online extensively to determine what should be required only to find confusing and contradictory claims. Has anyone else here been in this situation? Or have any suggestion on how to proceed?
If you received your residence certificate in 2019, you are currently classed as having temporary residency which lasts for 5 years. After 5 years, you can then apply for permanent residency at your local SEF office. Despite this, you are still entitled to register at your local Centro do Saude for a SNS number or Carte do Utente. You then become entitled to health care in the SNS. EHIC is not a requirement so you have been misinformed by this person. Go back there and insist on your rights.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Pgmills is an unknown quantity at this point

Your reference to “temporary residence” is wrong. There is no such thing I am afraid. The five year registration certificate granted to the correspondent in 2019 is just that, a certificate proving registration of residence. That said they are entitled to the same treatment from SNS as any resident in PT at the same price.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 8:16 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think in the context of that chart referred to, "temporary stay / residence" refers to people who move here for what is, at the outset, a defined period. There are several categories of those, including students and posted workers, for example.

Anybody who moves here for an indefinite period at the point they make the move falls into the "permanent residence" category, regardless of the fact that the initial certificate has a validity of only 5 years or of whether their long-term intentions (if even known at that point) are to remain in Portugal.

That's the way I read it, anyway.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sri Pete
The thing is, you are applying to join the Health Service in your country of residence. An EHIC has as its purpose to cover you for travel outside your country of residence within the EU ... Are they asking for an S1 which is provided by the country from which you claim your pension (or overseas health cover like students or other catagories listed in the Govt UK website)? Are you retired? If working or have other status within Portugal, then Portugal not only is responsible for your health care as a resident, but would also be the country to provide the EHIC to you for when you visit France, Spain etc, using your Social Security number. If you do have your S1 you should go to the Social Security Office in your town and ask for that to be "Approved" by Portugal who contact your Pension provider country for the Reciprocal arrangement to cover your health care - UK is still covered by this. It takes a bit of time but establishes your rights, the UK's (or other country's) responsibility as your pension provider, and Portugal's due ability to claim some costs back for providing your health care when you do not pay into their Social Security system. Also, it is then the UK (or other) which provides your EHIC as a non-resident of UK, to have health care cover in Europe (when traveling from your resident country of Portugal).
The health centre should only be asking for a different country's EHIC (eg your old one from before 2019 from UK?) if you were here on holiday, working briefly in PT, etc - not as a Resident.

BillB's response was a wee bit confusing as the official wording is that you get your Residency when you become resident here, but it is classed as "Temporary" because your rights of Permanent Residency do not kick in until 5 years of Residency have passed. You still have all your rights as Resident during that 5 year period.

You do not have to wait for Social Security to provide an SS number - as a resident of Portugal (as established in 2019 for you) you have full rights of Health Care under the SNS from the time you have your Residence Certificate (piece of A4 paper, soon to be upgraded to the biometric card that we are all waiting for!). That which also shows your address as local to the Health Centre, and proof of identity, eg passport, should be all that you need at the Health Centre, and they issue you with a "Utente" number on another A4 piece of paper, and this number is the one you quote if you have to go to the hospital, clinics, for blood tests, whatever, and links you into the HealthService computer.

Hope this helps. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthca...luding-madeira

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.